Information, announcements and your feedback & question about the forum.
26 posts Page 1 of 2
Admin edit: this topic is from the old forum and is no longer relevant. It's now locked.

Dear fellow forum users,

I have bad news: this forum is soon closing down.

The festival is working on a new website, which will launch in October, and a discussion forum is not part of the plans for the new site.

The forum has had a lot of impact on both the festival and a lot of people surrounding and contributing to the festival. Remember threads such as Saturnus' guide for creating a sound system (The Boominator), which became a vital part of Coffin Camp, a camp that brought us the wedding of Ace and Christine on Orange Stage at Roskilde 2013.

Most of all, we have thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts trying to guess the lineups, showcasing bands and the subsequent debates.

The forum has definitely helped shape the community around Roskilde Festival. However, Roskilde Festival feels that the life of the forum has run its course, and as a result, the forum will not be a part of the new homepage.

If anyone is willing to create and run a third-party fan forum about Roskilde Festival, we are ready to help export the data from the old forum - and to recognize the new forum as an official fan forum of Roskilde Festival.

I know that Roskilde Festival recognises and respects every fond memory the forum has led to, and they thank all users for contributing to all of these. Let it continue in other channels.

Please feel welcome to share your favourite moments and greatest memories from the forum and everything the forum has led to to give this forum a proper send-off.

These are some of the final words from me as the official forum admin.

Thanks everybody,

Martin
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: Dear fellow forum users,

I have bad news: this forum is soon closing down.

The festival is working on a new website, which will launch in October, and a discussion forum is not part of the plans for the new site.

The forum has had a lot of impact on both the festival and a lot of people surrounding and contributing to the festival. Remember threads such as Saturnus' guide for creating a sound system (The Boominator), which became a vital part of Coffin Camp, a camp that brought us the wedding of Ace and Christine on Orange Stage at Roskilde 2013.

Most of all, we have thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts trying to guess the lineups, showcasing bands and the subsequent debates.

The forum has definitely helped shape the community around Roskilde Festival. However, Roskilde Festival feels that the life of the forum has run its course, and as a result, the forum will not be a part of the new homepage.

If anyone is willing to create and run a third-party fan forum about Roskilde Festival, we are ready to help export the data from the old forum - and to recognize the new forum as an official fan forum of Roskilde Festival.

I know that Roskilde Festival recognises and respects every fond memory the forum has led to, and they thank all users for contributing to all of these. Let it continue in other channels.

Please feel welcome to share your favourite moments and greatest memories from the forum and everything the forum has led to to give this forum a proper send-off.

These are some of the final words from me as the official forum admin.

Thanks everybody,

Martin



Sad news indeed. It has been fun to share the love with other music and (Roskilde) lovers. Also met a couple of nice guys from the forum. With whom am I supposed to speculate about will it be Beck or Tool closing the Orange next year? So thanks a lot guys, specially Martin, and I´ll be seeing you at the festival...
I guess there´s no way to change their minds, but I hope they still consider the fact that, while it may be a limited number of people participating in the discussions, there´s lots of people just reading these. It keeps the wibe going on in those days when there´s still half a year to go...
Oh, this is terribly sad news! I have not been the most active member of the forum, but anyways I have really enjoyed to participate in the Band Quiz and to read the many rumours and wishes. This is probably going to be my last post in here..

Thanks for all and rest in peace. I will miss you <3
Well this sucks :cry:.

Thanks for the discussions guys. I'll have to research, wish and discuss with myself from now on :bang:

EDIT: I simply refuse to starts discussions on FB :) (or get a twitter, Instagram or something else account)
R.I.P. Forum
Jonathan Søgaard wrote: Well this sucks :cry:.

Thanks for the discussions guys. I'll have to research, wish and discuss with myself from now on :bang:

EDIT: I simply refuse to starts discussions on FB :) (or get a twitter, Instagram or something else account)


Could not agree more. Always enjoyed the Guess Band-thread and the intense discussions in here whenever a new teaser was posted on FB, Twitter, Soundcloud etc. Will sincerely miss it!
Well... This sucks! The forum have since 2007/08 been a great way to keep up with news before anyone else had a clue and in general just be a huge festival nerd.. I am going to miss it!
This really was bound to happen, since the forum has been dying for some time and this year has been almost dead. Even the artist announcement threads has been short or even sometime nonexisting. In august I can see that only three threads besides this have been active (I know there is not a lot of new stuff in august, but RF 2014 has barely been commentated either).

But RF themselves have abandoned the forum and never comment on anything unlike on their facebook forum where they quickly respond on any questions. And then a 270000 likes ensures that many more people will participate in RF discussions when they are on Facebook anyway.

The bad thing about this is that intelligent discussions have a hard time on Facebook, where it is crawling with trolls and people with stupid oneliners.
I`m so very sad this is happening, this forum has always been where I could get in touch with the feeling of Roskilde Festival. Great posts about music, camping, tips and tricks, each other, joy and hopes. Those quick fixes from other medias can`t match this. I do hope for some chance of afterlife for us, as mentioned. :cry:
This is very sad news. I think the forum type structure of discussion is much more 'mature' and in-depth compared to Facebook (I'm guessing that is the only alternative left). It will only be a matter of time before people will get bored with the fast pace and shallowness of Facebook type posting/discussion and will want to return to a forum type structure.
See also previous discussion here:
http://roskilde-festival.dk/forum/mm_fo ... iscussion/

Unfortunately, I do not have the technical skills to setup an alternative forum as suggested, but I would be happy to support any serious initiative (maybe as moderator or co-administrator).

Would Roskilde Festival be willing to cover/share the cost for a hosted solution? A hosted 'Invision Board' forum starts at $20/month for 25 concurrent users and would not require any technical knowledge or maintenance.
Indeed sad news. Have enjoyed reading all your posts througout the years. Many great discussions have been held. And many news have been spread here first.

Facebook is good for quick anouncements but it can't compare. As someone said, to many trolls and people who know nothing about the history of Roskilde festival take up too much space.

See you at Roskilde 2015!
Martin, do you know which forum software will be compatible with a data export from the current forum?
B. wrote: Martin, do you know which forum software will be compatible with a data export from the current forum?


I can try and ask :-) and the other thing $20 for a forum is a lot of money. Setting up a forum is not that hard, and I can do that if that is what we want. The hard part is the data part and if we want a design. But will ppl use it or will it just be 10 of us and in a year 5? What I am saying do you guys think that we can get new users when there is not a link on the webpage? That is the big Q in imo?
My suggestion for running on a hosted platform was so that we don't have to deal with server/database administration, backups. OS and software updates, hacking/DoSS attacks etc.
A hosted forum could also easily be transferred to a new volunteer if needed (or Roskilde Festival could keep control if they pay the bill and appoint a volunteer administrator to run the forum).

However, if you (or anyone else) has the technical expertise and resources to setup a forum for free, that would be great as well obviously :D

I wouldn't worry too much about the design/layout, we can always deal with that later.

It would very desirable to transfer the current content and user base although I can even see starting out with a clean slate (together with the new site design).

It will be up to us to promote the forum, for example on Facebook and in the comments of the news posts on the official site. Creating a topic in the forum for every official announcement (music or other) the and link to that. We could have volunteers to create the music topics and general topics etc.

If we run on a modern forum platform I'm sure we will see the return of some the older users that have stated specifically that they stopped posting because of the current forum software (missing features like personal messages and layout problems).
26 posts Page 1 of 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron