Discuss previous Roskilde festival experiences.
66 posts Page 3 of 5
:oops: hmm.. lets see,

1987 - 1997 - on my dads shoulders.- he was working, so I was allowed to tag along.
1998 - 2001 working on the festival sight - as a volunteer.
2002 - 2012 paying guest.

I miss the alternative people at Roskilde! - to few punks, rock n roll, left! <3
Gitte Bjerring-Jensen wrote: :oops: hmm.. lets see,

1887 - 1997 - on my dads shoulders.- he was working, so I was allowed to tag along.

I miss the alternative people at Roskilde! - to few punks, rock n roll, left! <3

So you sat on your dad's shoulder for 110 years? :D
Stand up for rock n' roll! wrote:

1887 - 1997 - on my dads shoulders.- he was working, so I was allowed to tag along.

So you sat on your dad's shoulder for 110 years? :D

:D Nice observation ! Naaa... :) not quite (1987 is the correct answer) :D

1987 - 1997 - on my dads shoulders.- he was working, so I was allowed to tag along.

Oh, some of us are still (sometimes reluctantly) there. Just not appearing quite as much as "De skrigende halse-clones". That's what the festival paper - at that time written by JP, predictably - labelled us in the 90's. Other than blaming us for all drug dealing at the festival ;-)).

But yeah, I'd say the RF appeal to punks/"alternative rock'n'roll people" made its final death rattle about 6-8 years ago. Which was coincidentally also somewhere around the last time the festival referred to itself as a "rock festival".

It's still fun, but yeah, I miss that festival too. :-) Of course, so did the veterans I talked to in the 90's...

And, like Dunkesen, I'm curious how it felt to be back after a 15 year gap, Davy Grolton?
2008,2009,2010,2011 and still going this year!! yeah
Dunkesen wrote:
Davy Grolton wrote: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1992, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012

I am very curious, how was it coming back in 2008? :) How much had changed?

It was great coming back. Within the Festival Area, not much had changed besides security. In the Camping area a lot have changed but only for the better, such as Warm Up days, Agoras, City Centers. And Orange Feeling still as good as then :).
Christian wrote: It will be my 14th year...been there every year since '99, which by the way was an awesome year to start going. That's probably why I've been going back every year. :)

Yeah true, Roskilde in 99 was awesome, awesome weather and good lineup, Metallica, Blur, REM, Marilyn Manson, Manic Street Preachers, Skunk Anansie, Suede and many more 8)
Kaneda wrote:

Oh, some of us are still (sometimes reluctantly) there. Just not appearing quite as much as "De skrigende halse-clones". That's what the festival paper - at that time written by JP, predictably - labelled us in the 90's. Other than blaming us for all drug dealing at the festival ;-)).

But yeah, I'd say the RF appeal to punks/"alternative rock'n'roll people" made its final death rattle about 6-8 years ago. Which was coincidentally also somewhere around the last time the festival referred to itself as a "rock festival".

It's still fun, but yeah, I miss that festival too. :-) Of course, so did the veterans I talked to in the 90's...

And, like Dunkesen, I'm curious how it felt to be back after a 15 year gap, Davy Grolton?

I've noticed the lank of punks at the festival. I didn't mind them at all, but at the same time not sorry to see them go either.

Definitely a shift in focus away from rock music. For good and for bad.
1992-2011
been at roskilde in 07, 09, 10, 11, and going in 2012.
had a bit of a scare after 07's poor weather, but the orange feeling pulled me back in :)
Suarez- the hattrick king! wrote: I've noticed the lank of punks at the festival. I didn't mind them at all, but at the same time not sorry to see them go either.

That wording almost makes it sound like punks = the gypsies of the 90's[*]... Frankly, I'm sorry to see any group of people go that made the festival a more diverse place. Whether it's subcultures or international guests. Both rather rare at Roskilde now - although the reasons for that aren't that hard to figure out.

"Shift in focus" would imply that there still is a focus...

[*] Yeah, there were Romanis at the festival then too. Most people just hadn't decided to hate on them yet.

jan wrote: been at roskilde in 07, 09, 10, 11, and going in 2012.
had a bit of a scare after 07's poor weather, but the orange feeling pulled me back in :-D

Always wondered if anyone would go back if their first year was a mudfest. Glad to see it's possible. :-)
Kaneda wrote:
Suarez- the hattrick king! wrote: I've noticed the lank of punks at the festival. I didn't mind them at all, but at the same time not sorry to see them go either.

That wording almost makes it sound like punks = the gypsies of the 90's[*]... Frankly, I'm sorry to see any group of people go that made the festival a more diverse place. Whether it's subcultures or international guests. Both rather rare at Roskilde now - although the reasons for that aren't that hard to figure out.

"Shift in focus" would imply that there still is a focus...

[*] Yeah, there were Romanis at the festival then too. Most people just hadn't decided to hate on them yet.

jan wrote: been at roskilde in 07, 09, 10, 11, and going in 2012.
had a bit of a scare after 07's poor weather, but the orange feeling pulled me back in :-D

Always wondered if anyone would go back if their first year was a mudfest. Glad to see it's possible. :-)

Hey! I didn't say anything bad about the punks if you look what I wrote ;)

But for some reason- they scared me :D Also, had some run-ins with a few snotty teenagers who didn't understand that our bottles/cases/beers where ours and not theirs.

And we did dislike the gypsies in the 90's also, but they weren't as many a little bit less disruptive I would say.
Suarez- the hattrick king! wrote: Hey! I didn't say anything bad about the punks if you look what I wrote ;)

I didn't say you did, if you look at what I wrote ;-)

But for some reason- they scared me :D

Hah, scaring you and Jyllands-Pesten. Our mission accomplished. :-P

Also, had some run-ins with a few snotty teenagers who didn't understand that our bottles/cases/beers where ours and not theirs.

Nothing changed there, then. :-) Well, except now the beer-and-whisky thieves tend to be hard to tell from your general snotty, trendy teen. Actually, come to think of it, that's how it was in the 90's too...
Kaneda wrote:
Suarez- the hattrick king! wrote: Hey! I didn't say anything bad about the punks if you look what I wrote ;)

I didn't say you did, if you look at what I wrote ;-)

But for some reason- they scared me :D

Hah, scaring you and Jyllands-Pesten. Our mission accomplished. :-P

Also, had some run-ins with a few snotty teenagers who didn't understand that our bottles/cases/beers where ours and not theirs.

Nothing changed there, then. :-) Well, except now the beer-and-whisky thieves tend to be hard to tell from your general snotty, trendy teen. Actually, come to think of it, that's how it was in the 90's too...

Swedish young men and punks are the only people I have experienced going through our tents ;)
This is my 3rd year. :-)
66 posts Page 3 of 5