Whatever you like...
12 posts Page 1 of 1
What are the correct / accepted replacement characters (standard English / basic ASCII) for specific Scandinavian / Icelandic characters?

Á -
Å -
Æ -
Ó -
Ö -
Ø -
Ý -
Þ -
á -
ã -
ä -
å -
æ -
è -
é -
ë -
í -
ð -
ó -
ö -
ø -
ú -
ü -
Orange wrote: What are the correct / accepted replacement characters (standard English / basic ASCII) for specific Scandinavian / Icelandic characters?

I only know them for Danish specifically. Note that these might not be the accepted replacement characters in other Scandinavian languages even if the letter appears the same. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not.

Å - Aa (or AA if all caps)
Æ - Ae (or AE if all caps)
Ø - Oe (or OE if all caps)

å - aa
æ - ae
ø - oe
Would it be incredibly rude and offensive to just replace characters like this:

Á -A
Å -A
Æ -AE
Ó -O
Ö -O
Ø -O
Ý -Y
Þ -p (or th)
á -a
ã -a
ä -a
å -a
æ -ae
è -e
é -e
ë -e
í -i
ð -d (or th)
ó -o
ö -o
ø -o
ú -u
ü -u
I've just asked an Icelandic guy I know about it. Will report back.
Thanks. I'll elaborate a bit, we're considering converting the forum to new software: Discourse.
For the usernames this forum software can only allow standard English letters (no accented letters like é, ø etc.), numbers and the underscore ( _ ) character. The full name/ real name will remain in the original format.

The 'simplified' name will be used as display name and login name for the user and will be used in new quotes.
The users real, correctly written name will be used on his profile page and can be seen with one click from each post (the black box you see with the big "S" symbol is the pop-up you see when clicking on a username).
Any old quotes will also remain to have the old, full name.
Oh that's cool. I must admit I'm not exactly in love with this forum platform. I'm used to a forum using Xenforo which is just beautiful. www.redcafe.net if you want to have a look. How the quotes links to posts, multi-quoting, possibility of tagging users, you'll get alerts when someone quotes you, private conversations. The lot basically. The sites Twitter feed is incorporated as well, which I reckon you guys could make use of.
Orange wrote: Would it be incredibly rude and offensive to just replace characters like this:

Þ -p (or th)

ð -d (or th)

Þ and ð are traditionally replaced by Th (or TH if all caps) and th respectively in English. In fact, almost every single English word that has a th in it comes from old norse like the, them, that, those, they and so on. Although in very old times when only Roman letters where used Þ was replaced by a crossed over capital Y and that's where we get words like Ye and Yule.
Maagen wrote: Oh that's cool. I must admit I'm not exactly in love with this forum platform. I'm used to a forum using Xenforo which is just beautiful. http://www.redcafe.net if you want to have a look. How the quotes links to posts, multi-quoting, possibility of tagging users, you'll get alerts when someone quotes you, private conversations. The lot basically. The sites Twitter feed is incorporated as well, which I reckon you guys could make use of.

The main considerations for the possible switch to Discourse are native support for mobile (smart phone) browsing and the ability for potential new users to directly sign-up with their Facebook, Twitter or Google/Gmail account. Like XenForo it's a very modern platform without the 10+ year archaic legacy features of classic forum software. As far as I can see Discourse has most of the XenForo features you mentioned

We'll post more information if/when we are closer to a migration.
Hey, im icelandic and this isn't rude at all :)
This is the way write the characters when we text for example, this is also the faster way to type instead of using the regular á-ð-æ etc. But when replacing Þ its not p its th :)
Thanks.

So:
Æ - AE
Þ - th
æ - ae
ð - th

and everything else to the same letter without the accent?
ð - d not th. And yeah everything else to the same letter :)
ð with d - My name is Bárður = Bardur.. Barthur would be a bit strange :)
12 posts Page 1 of 1