Information, announcements and your feedback & question about the forum.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Posting from mobile is very painful.

Also the rss make it hard to tell which part of the post is quoted.

I read you will exchange the forum software, so I hope it's not too late to wish for something more mobile-friendly and with a richer rss feed.
One of the main reasons for the considered switch to different forum software (Discourse) is better mobile support (which is currently next to unusable with phpBB with no option to install a mobile compatible theme/style at our current hosting company).
For the mobile compatibility of Discourse you can check https://meta.discourse.org
We will be using categories view as default to make it look more like a regular forum layout.

Discourse has RSS support as well, but the developers have declared RSS dead so I'm not expecting more than the most basic RSS support from Discourse. Check this as example:
https://meta.discourse.org/latest.rss

(I've edited the topic title to differentiate it from the other feedback topic)
I get the part about the forum is not perfect to use on a smartphone but painful? I use it om my nexus 5 with no problems(unless I have to do admin stuff). Sure it can be bether but it is 100 times bether now them the old forum
I'm on an iPhone 5s and it's practically unusable. I actually use an RSS feed reader (Boxcar) on my phone to get new post alerts and read them with that (same quote problem as Friedel reported though). Forget about posting new topics or replies.

Maybe it's better on a phone with a larger screen and higher resolution (I checked the forum on a Samsung S4 and it shows a little more of the forum) but in the end phpBB simply isn't created with mobile browsing in mind (which didn't even exist when they started programming this forum) :|
Orange wrote: One of the main reasons for the considered switch to different forum software (Discourse) is better mobile support (which is currently next to unusable with phpBB with no option to install a mobile compatible theme/style at our current hosting company).
For the mobile compatibility of Discourse you can check https://meta.discourse.org
We will be using categories view as default to make it look more like a regular forum layout.

Discourse has RSS support as well, but the developers have declared RSS dead so I'm not expecting more than the most basic RSS support from Discourse. Check this as example:
https://meta.discourse.org/latest.rss

(I've edited the topic title to differentiate it from the other feedback topic)

Discourse is much more mobile-friendly, and even though they may label the rss support as "basic", it's much better than that of phpBB. The layout is a lot richer and easier to read on mobile.

Looking forward to the switch! ;)
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: I get the part about the forum is not perfect to use on a smartphone but painful? I use it om my nexus 5 with no problems(unless I have to do admin stuff). Sure it can be bether but it is 100 times bether now them the old forum

I raise you a beer!
Friedrich Delgado wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: I get the part about the forum is not perfect to use on a smartphone but painful? I use it om my nexus 5 with no problems(unless I have to do admin stuff). Sure it can be bether but it is 100 times bether now them the old forum

I raise you a beer!

What? Dont get it?
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
Friedrich Delgado wrote:

I raise you a beer!

What? Dont get it?

Toast?
Noer wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
Friedrich Delgado wrote:

I raise you a beer!

What? Dont get it?

Toast?

Yeah, pointless to argue, so instead just let's have a beer.
The proposed migration to the new Discourse forum software will be postponed to at least August / September as a major change this close to the festival isn't the best timing.
The Discourse software and conversion tools will also have matured a bit more at that time.
10 posts Page 1 of 1