Roskilde Festival Forum

It is currently 27 Mar 2017, 07:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 10:39 

Years at Roskilde: All years from 1999-2016 so far
Camp: FREUD: Den ubevidste lejr
DukeofDK wrote:
Supers:
See Coldblooded's post

Big enough?:
Radiohead?
Foo Fighters?

Reunions which could he Superheadliners:
R.E.M.?
The Police?
Although I doubt it

Not popular enough in Denmark:
Dave Matthews Band
Fleetwood Mac
Tom Petty

Won't Happen:
Pearl Jam

To consider: would it be too early to bring back:
Neil Young?
Bob Dylan?
The Who?
(all's super-status being questioned, despite my admiration for them)

Springsteen and Prince definitely are too early (although I'd love to have them)

I'd definitely say that Radiohead are big enough to be a superheadliner. Their gig in 2008 at Roskilde proved it too, I'd say. Still one of the top 10 best concerts I've witnessed. Conversely, Foo Fighters played a great show in 2005, but it was a bit short for a headlining gig (75 min) and Dave Grohl basically spent the last 15-20 minutes running around among the audience (played a whole song standing on top of the sound hut as far as I recall). It was headliner-worthy, but I can't see them playing a late Saturday slot like Paul McCartney.

Both R.E.M. and The Police are probably too soon to hope for reunions.

Of the 'not popular enough'-group, I have been rooting for Fleetwood Mac for years. They're maybe not big enough to be superheadliners, but they'd be a really great oldie to bring back.

It's not too early to bring back Neil Young, but his last few albums have all been a bit crap. Bob Dylan played in Aarhus last year and his voice is basically gone. If anyone complained that McCartney's voice isn't what it has been... boy, you should've heard Dylan's unintelligible growling. The Who are on a farewell tour and have maybe already played their final UK gig, so unless that tour somehow extends into summer 2016, we won't be seeing them back at Roskilde.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 12:26 

Years at Roskilde: 2009-????
Coldblooded wrote:
DukeofDK wrote:
Supers:
See Coldblooded's post

Big enough?:
Radiohead?
Foo Fighters?

Reunions which could he Superheadliners:
R.E.M.?
The Police?
Although I doubt it

Not popular enough in Denmark:
Dave Matthews Band
Fleetwood Mac
Tom Petty

Won't Happen:
Pearl Jam

To consider: would it be too early to bring back:
Neil Young?
Bob Dylan?
The Who?
(all's super-status being questioned, despite my admiration for them)

Springsteen and Prince definitely are too early (although I'd love to have them)

I'd definitely say that Radiohead are big enough to be a superheadliner. Their gig in 2008 at Roskilde proved it too, I'd say. Still one of the top 10 best concerts I've witnessed. Conversely, Foo Fighters played a great show in 2005, but it was a bit short for a headlining gig (75 min) and Dave Grohl basically spent the last 15-20 minutes running around among the audience (played a whole song standing on top of the sound hut as far as I recall). It was headliner-worthy, but I can't see them playing a late Saturday slot like Paul McCartney.

Both R.E.M. and The Police are probably too soon to hope for reunions.

Of the 'not popular enough'-group, I have been rooting for Fleetwood Mac for years. They're maybe not big enough to be superheadliners, but they'd be a really great oldie to bring back.

It's not too early to bring back Neil Young, but his last few albums have all been a bit crap. Bob Dylan played in Aarhus last year and his voice is basically gone. If anyone complained that McCartney's voice isn't what it has been... boy, you should've heard Dylan's unintelligible growling. The Who are on a farewell tour and have maybe already played their final UK gig, so unless that tour somehow extends into summer 2016, we won't be seeing them back at Roskilde.

As for The Who, haven't Pete and Roger said that this would be their last tour, but not the last concert? As far as I know, they'll still be playing a few shows now and then. Roskilde might be one.

I, too, think that Fleetwood Mac would be amazing at Roskilde, but I honestly don't know how well they'd hold up in comparison to the crowd. Then again, I could be wrong. Maybe it'd be magical!

I didn't see Radiohead in 2008, but I did see them live in 2012, and that was definitely one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I'm rooting for a joined Fleetwood/The Who and Neil Young-poster, topped with Radiohead, a fank u

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 19:55 

Re: The Who – I don't know if they will play any more singular shows abroad but the Hyde Park and Glastonbury gigs earlier this summer were supposedly their final UK concerts.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2015, 09:59 
Forum moderator

Years at Roskilde: 2007-
Camp: Blastbeast Metalcamp
But do you guys think they can sell tickets? I can´t see a band like Radiohead alone sell very many 1 day tickets. Sure a lot of the normal festival goes will be happy about it. But I can´t see Radiohead sell 5000 1 day tickets... or just close to that

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2015, 11:20 

Years at Roskilde: 2009-????
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
But do you guys think they can sell tickets? I can´t see a band like Radiohead alone sell very many 1 day tickets. Sure a lot of the normal festival goes will be happy about it. But I can´t see Radiohead sell 5000 1 day tickets... or just close to that

Obviously, this could become a problem. 900 kr is a lot of money to see one band, I agree. And I'm not sure how popular Radiohead is nowadays. Surely, they have a huge fanbase, but I have zero idea of how popular they are if you're, say, below the age of twenty-something

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2015, 18:29 

DukeofDK wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:

Obviously, this could become a problem. 900 kr is a lot of money to see one band, I agree. And I'm not sure how popular Radiohead is nowadays. Surely, they have a huge fanbase, but I have zero idea of how popular they are if you're, say, below the age of twenty-something

I'd say that Radiohead are still hugely popular, even though it's a while since they were here last and their later albums (correct me if I'm wrong) haven't been as successful as OK Computer or the Kid A/Amnesiac diptych. They're still an extremely influential band, who everyone and their dog among indie-hipsters have copied or at least taken clues from. I don't think they'll have any problem at all selling out their share of one-day tickets.

I believe last time they were here on their own, was in Valby in 2000. They brought their own 10.000-strong capacity tent and sold it out on two consecutive nights. Not many of the current headliners the past four or five years are able to do that.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2015, 10:23 

Years at Roskilde: 1996,2002-2004,2006-?
Camp: Camp Spies
Led Zeppelin

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 16:30 

Years at Roskilde: '08-'15
What about that Paul Simon fella?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015, 22:42 

Years at Roskilde: 06-07, 09, 11-forever
Camp: Tour De Francekilde
Honestly I'm not really into these SuperHeadliners. It's pretty cool that Roskilde is able to get these big dinosaurs, and it's also beneficial as they attract some people to the festival who would not normally attend, but I don't think they need one at all cost. Rather more Big Acts (strong headliners and sub headliners).

Too stay on topic I really think Justin Timberlake is crawling towards the Super Headliner category. Sold out Parken, and he is not just some dumb pop act. His show brings serious live music and he would surely start a serious party at Orange. Furthermore he would make sure they would sell out the day he played (and maybe even the festival).

I would much rather see him than many of the old dinosaurs and especially U2, which unfortunately is my bet for next years top of the poster.

Another point about Pearl Jam:

They wont come back. As a die hard Pearl Jam fan I've had to come to this conclusion. They have difficulties just touring Denmark still. I do think they should come back and get some closure or work through it with music. They could even join forces with Chris Cornell and play some Temple of The Dog (the salute to their old band mate who overdosed), but that is just me dreaming :(

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2015, 01:04 

Years at Roskilde: 100
Camp: drunken beer drinking camp
David Gilmour! solo album coming this year and 5 shows in London and huuuuge(!) europe tour (5 shows!)

Pink Floyd classics at Orange stage, I'd consider that superheadliner.

But now when Roskilde has booked Prince, Bruce, Stones, McCartney. It's really hard/ impossible to top that... only U2 would be in the same category.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2015, 08:53 

Years at Roskilde: 2004-
After all the Written opinions and after all the superheadliners of The last years (Prince, Springsteen, Stones, Stevie Wonder, Macca) and some other ones That have been in the festival in the last decade (Black Sabbath, Roger Waters, brian Wilson, The Who, Neil Young, Bob Dylan) i guess the only ones That play in the same league, are officially or semi officially retired: LED ZEPPELIN and DAVID BOWIE. And page & plant played here and Bowie too.

I think we should expect then the "usual" Big Headliners instead of the Superheadliners.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 21:47 

Years at Roskilde: 2006-2010, 2012-????
Is Iron Maiden a super headliner?.

At least they are in Europe from late May to early August.

http://www.ironmaiden.com/iron-maiden-a ... -tour.html

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 21:49 

Years at Roskilde: 2006-2010, 2012-????
Ups nevermind, I didn´t see it was posted in the other thread.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 02:35 

Years at Roskilde: 2014
I think Black Sabbath is worthy enough to be a "super headliner". They're old enough (been playing since the 60's), they're in the rock and roll hall of fame, and they just announced that they are doing a final tour. I think they qualify and should be a "super headliner"

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2016, 11:53 

Years at Roskilde: 2006-2016
Who do people see on the poster in this topic?

With no Guns n'Roses return to Roskilde in 2016(confirmed by RF) and David Bowie passing away is there really so many bands for this spot?

U2 is a name up there but so far not on tour 2016.
Neil Young could also be the top spot with tour-dates aroung Roskilde, but is he big enough?
Foo Fighters has stopped playing live and would they be big enough?
Eminem - Would he be considered super-headliner?

Or is the topic already closed with the booking of New Order? (personally i dont think so)

Who do you think? (if getting any)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next