Rumours of bands playing at Roskilde festival are always circulating, sometimes they are true, sometimes not. All discussions of non-confirmed artists also take place in this category.
49 posts Page 1 of 4
I like the idea of having a superheadliner that RF started in 2012 and has given us Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Rolling Stones and now Paul McCarthy. This states that RF can something, which no other Danish festival can (and for Rolling Stones and McCarthy something which I will never get the chance to see again).

But who do you think will play next year. These four will probably not play this soon (or ever) at RF. ACDC was probably also the last chance this year.

So who is big enough to fill this slot for next year?

Eminem could be a possibility and a great surprise could be David Bowie (if he ever plays live again). But I'm not really an expert guesser, so someone probably have better guesses than me.
U2.

Although they have already stated (though not through official channels but it was a statement by the head of the Dutch Pinkpop festival) that they are not interested in playing festivals during their 2016 tour.

I can't really think of any other relevant major legend headliner act that has still been active in recent years but there could always be a surprise reunion tour or artist coming out of retirement in 2016.
Tom Petty & the heartbreakers!
Wild guess I know but roskilde have the muscles and the skills to make it happen!
I'm still in love with the concept where Roskilde - the very first year after the one where they went all "We're not going to book dinosaurs anymore" - book their very first real "dinosaur", and keep going year after year. :D No, really, no sarcasm - I do love it.

I still have a faint hope for Bowie one last time. I wasn't appreciative the first time. And he still owes us for the second time, "bottle-cap-in-eye" or surgery aside.
Not a big fan of this. I thought the Prince concert was awesome but McCartney and springsteen were really mediocre imo. Would still rather see a couple of more big acts than one giant. But what i'd like the most is to se many Placebo sized acts. U2 aren't a well respected band anymore like the other big acts playing the last few years. Bono is too much of a douche. And there might be a new direction in the booking as well since Rikke Ø is gone. Maybe we'll see a more diverse range of big bands than recycling the same bands every 3 years?
Really hoping for Bowie myself. Can't really see anyone else than that gather the same crowd that made Springsteen amazing.
But what about Madonna? Not that much a fan myself anymore, but she's had a good run too.
I would like to see queen and Adam Lambert. Although Freddie has gone, they do a great job of keeping the music alive and I reckon they could rock the main stage really well. After all, most people know so many of the songs - and that is key. With the video screens, there is even the chance for the late Freddie to join them as he has done before.
If we ignore the superheadliner thing and just focus on the old artist that will soon be gone aspect I would love to see Tom Jones or Elton John rock that Orange stage.

Of the "younger" superheadliners I think its the usual stuff like Eminem, Daft Punk, System Of A Down, Rammstein, Foo Fighters and that rock band that everyone screams about every fucking year.
Blur and Foo Fighters. Not "superheadliners", but could easily fill Orange Stage.
Maybe Neil Young? Would love to see that.
I'am the biggest Neil Young Fan. Saw him there in '96. But I am afraid he would not fill orange anymore.

Also I wonder who is really big but not yet dinosaur-like. _and_ an interesting musician.

What about Pink. Or Justin Timberlake.
Only pop, but imo they would qualify for good Roskilde superheadliners: Not as legendary, of course, like the ones Christian mentioned, or like Bowie or U2. But very successful over 1 1/2 decades, lots of hits and airplay. great musicians and even composers, great voices. would easily fill orange.
Neil Young have been there a lot of times and no he is not a superheadliner. Awesome guy, but not a superheadliner.

Pink? I can´t see her draw very much...
Of course - Roskilde can always book Pink, Foo Fighter etc, and as one user wrote "if we ignore the super headliner". However if we do ignore the super headliner, and turn this thread into yet ANOTHER wish list, we're really ignoring the whole point with the thread. In other words - let's stick to the topic, guys.
As much as I'd like to see them, there's a little part of me which hopes that bands like RATM, SOAD and Daft Punk won't be booked, simply due to the fact that every idiot on Facebook screams for them in every Roskilde-thread. But obviously, I'd watch them :)

Neil Young would be amazing at Orange. I started coming at Roskilde in 2009, so I've never seen him there. But yeah, since he's been at the festival so many times, I'm not sure if he's a "super headliner" (well, to me he is, but hey...) - fits with his new album, though.

Same goes for Bob Dylan as with Neil Young, "super headliner"-wise.

What about bands like Radiohead and Tool? Both loved by many people and are very, well, weird. Dunno if they classify as supers either, but both (should) release new albums in 2016, and it would then be 10 years since Tool's last visit at Roskilde.

I can't see Queen + Lambert at Roskilde. It's too... dare I say it? Commercial and Tinderbox-y. Don't think it'd fit the profile. Not one I'm hoping for, if they want me to return. As for Tom Petty, I don't think he has enough Danish fans. Great live act, though.

David Bowie would be the ultimate super headliner, IMO. None above.

A cool exclusive would be The Who, since they presumably had their last real tour this summer. YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH
Or maybe the Foos, since they did most other festivals this summer (except Glaston, since he broke his leg). Glaston + Ros exclusive?

As for pop-headliners, Taylor Swift would be really cool, IMO. Think I'm against the grain here on that one. Has she ever had a nordic show?

But it's all a lot of presuming. We'll see!
DukeofDK wrote: As much as I'd like to see them, there's a little part of me which hopes that bands like RATM, SOAD and Daft Punk won't be booked, simply due to the fact that every idiot on Facebook screams for them in every Roskilde-thread. But obviously, I'd watch them :)

Neil Young would be amazing at Orange. I started coming at Roskilde in 2009, so I've never seen him there. But yeah, since he's been at the festival so many times, I'm not sure if he's a "super headliner" (well, to me he is, but hey...) - fits with his new album, though.

Same goes for Bob Dylan as with Neil Young, "super headliner"-wise.

What about bands like Radiohead and Tool? Both loved by many people and are very, well, weird. Dunno if they classify as supers either, but both (should) release new albums in 2016, and it would then be 10 years since Tool's last visit at Roskilde.

I can't see Queen + Lambert at Roskilde. It's too... dare I say it? Commercial and Tinderbox-y. Don't think it'd fit the profile. Not one I'm hoping for, if they want me to return. As for Tom Petty, I don't think he has enough Danish fans. Great live act, though.

David Bowie would be the ultimate super headliner, IMO. None above.

A cool exclusive would be The Who, since they presumably had their last real tour this summer. YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH
Or maybe the Foos, since they did most other festivals this summer (except Glaston, since he broke his leg). Glaston + Ros exclusive?

As for pop-headliners, Taylor Swift would be really cool, IMO. Think I'm against the grain here on that one. Has she ever had a nordic show?

But it's all a lot of presuming. We'll see!

Radiohead is top of my list as well, but I too was on the fence about whether they would classify as a "superheadliner." They're certainly a step below McCartney, Rolling Stones et al. (in terms of fame, at least).

Oh, and I would fucking love a Taylor Swift show at Orange, even though I probably wouldn't be able to speak the next day.
I guess the only superheadliner not officially retired (but mínimum chances to come) is David Bowie (and he already came in 1999 to the festival). Some other American Legends such as Tom Petty, Neil Diamond, Dolly Parton, Billy Joel, Lionel Richie, Fleetwood Mac.... I guess they are not so popular in Denmark to bring them in. Elton John could also be a possibility.

nowadays pop superheadliner? I guess Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake or so, would be obvious choices

"Nowadays" big headliners in All other festivals: Foo Fighters, Depeche Mode, Blur, The Black Keys, Arcade Fire, Radiohead....

Now Muse have come 5 times in 15 Years (3 headlining) It's time for some other to take their place.

Let's wait some months to see what happens.
49 posts Page 1 of 4