PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 21:49 

Years at Roskilde: Does it matter?
Camp: Shibby, Mesterhak, no idea.
So, finally at the festival and as the days speed on,
with all the beer, the booze, the lack of sleep,
the happy physical fatigue of jumping around,
dancing my butt off,
my mind really goes down the drain.

The jokes get flatter every day, the initiative to get going and do things fades....

...and for me it strongly effects how I perceive the music, the arts, the shows, so that a concert watched Wednesday would be received differently if seen Saturday.

I guess everyone here knows this in one way or another.

Do you do anything about it since you have realised? Sleep more? Drink less? Eat more?

Or just go with it? :?: :geek:

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 08:19 

Years at Roskilde: Since 2003
Camp: We don't give a / that fsck
stevomatic wrote:
Drink less?

This.

This year was the first time at Roskilde I didn't have any killer hangovers at all. Unfortunately, it also meant I missed a lot of late night parties and concerts as without the energy boost of alcohol I chose to go to sleep rather early.

But even with moderate alcohol intake my old bones can't really handle Roskilde as I would like to experience it (my blister scars are only just about healed now, two months after the festival)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 19:44 

Years at Roskilde: '86, '92, '93, '98-'14
We are also getting frightfully old so it's only natural we can't party like it's 1989 or even 1999 anymore. :D

Drinking less alcohol mitigates the problem but I've also found that it's not enough so I've actively started getting in shape by taking dance lessons and doing some minor weight training on the side to get that keg sized belly back to reasonable dad bod level. This year it wasn't so bad for me though, probably because I'm just generally happier with how my life is going at the moment, and that naturally translates into having a lot of surplus energy.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 12:41 

Years at Roskilde: '00, '01, '04, '09-'15, '17-
I drank for four days straight from the beginning and that was almost it. Not the best of ideas as I couldn´t remember much for the first days, then two days of massive hang over when you really couldn´t sleep at all.

I´m too getting old, but still had an amazing time, so I think that´s the way it´s going to be in the future too as my finnish genes pour alcohol down my throat the first days and there´s not much I can do about it. :) (I´m not actually that bad of a drunk, but so it goes)

Lot´s of water and food helps and for the last days I tried to stay just a little "tipsy". Managed quite good, though the days are long.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 16:57 

Years at Roskilde: 1994-2013
The mental deterioration is the one of the best parts, though :shock: Jason and the Scorchers '95; Garbage feat. Kylie '02; Roger Waters; or Barons of Tang - in each their very different ways - wouldn't have been the same without it.

Like Saturnus, I've been more diligent with work out and weight training the past decade, which (I think) does help a lot: Physically and alcohol-wise I've managed better 2006-12 than I did in 2001-05. Although, of course, I haven't done the real Roskilde acid test the past couple of years. We'll see next year. 8-)

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 18:17 

Years at Roskilde: '86, '92, '93, '98-'14
Uh oh, if it came across that I had been working out. That's not the case. I just started last month with some light weight training and decided that I really need exercise to get in physical shape as well, so I just started dancing the Lindy Hop like 2 weeks ago. This is the first time since my late teens, about 25 years, that I do any form of active physical training. Sure, during my twenties and up into my thirties I keep a reasonable fitness level by clubbing heavily and having physically demanding jobs but I don't do either of those anymore and it was becoming apparent even to me. :D

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 18:57 

Years at Roskilde: 1994-2013
Everyone's now silently judging you. ;) Nah, now you make it sound like I had been working out Arnold-style. :D It's pretty much the same here. Had physically demanding jobs in the mid-late 90's - didn't keep me from being the stereotypically skinny punk/"Skrigende Halse clone". When I got to 24 and (finally) university (2002), all activity stopped and it soon began to show - especially when I also started working in front of a computer screen. :geek: So, figured out I'd better start dedicating a bit of spare time to doing something. Which has mostly just made me return to being pretty skinny again - the weight training is just to keep a high metabolism. Or so I'm telling myself, because the muscles aren't really showing. :lol: But it still helped in terms of Roskilde fitness.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 20:08 

Years at Roskilde: Does it matter?
Camp: Shibby, Mesterhak, no idea.
@Benno
Quote:
(my blister scars are only just about healed now, two months after the festival)

Am surprised that you are still getting blisters. I used to, but since I geared up a bit that's over.

Am a bit reluctant about promoting a product here, but.....
Bought good hiking boots and almost always wear a pair of these socks in them:

http://www.woolpower.de/produktuebersic ... ocken.html

I know, it says "thermal socks", but since they do such a good job of transporting moisture away from the foot, they are ok to wear in summer, too. ;)

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 07:21 

Years at Roskilde: 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Camp: Shaken not stirred
Since it took me 4 weeks to get rid of my cough.I started working out more as well ...and at Ros i choose to party overall my secret is powernaps...not sleep more then 20 min during the day. But also right mix of vodka to stay tipsy and not to drunk. ...but the warm up days i use to find the balance. My mind screws me over at the end of the week.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 08:10 

Years at Roskilde: Since 2003
Camp: We don't give a / that fsck
stevomatic wrote:
@Benno
Quote:
(my blister scars are only just about healed now, two months after the festival)

Am surprised that you are still getting blisters. I used to, but since I geared up a bit that's over.

Am a bit reluctant about promoting a product here, but.....
Bought good hiking boots and almost always wear a pair of these socks in them:

http://www.woolpower.de/produktuebersic ... ocken.html

I know, it says "thermal socks", but since they do such a good job of transporting moisture away from the foot, they are ok to wear in summer, too. ;)

Well, it was both a bad example of my physical deterioration during the festival and my own fault, for wearing new army boots during the queue (I indeed should know better by now) :oops:
I did have to physically recover to my normal state for about 3 weeks, though.

I also had to stay home from work the week after the festival for two days (I went back to work on Wednesday after travelling on Monday and cleaning up everything on Tuesday, that I had booked free in advance) because I got sick with a severe cold.

I did not suffer from the infamous Roskilde cough this year however :D