Rumours of bands playing at Roskilde festival are always circulating, sometimes they are true, sometimes not. All discussions of non-confirmed artists also take place in this category.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Roskilde Warm-Up recommendations (or maybe the opposite):

Hoping that someone from Roskilde is reading along: Which scandinavian bands have you guys seen live and would reccomend or encourage Roskilde to book in the warm up days. We've not used our 5 wishes on these bands, so lets write them here. What's going on in the underground? Here's my 5 cent:

The Ritual

I would really recommend these guys above anything else I've seen so far the past year. Preferably they should be booked for the 23.00 rock spots (if that really is a thing). Seen them a couple of times now, and they rock – especially live! It's rock music inspired with indian ritualistic ambience. You just can't help but rock and chime in on the ”Ahh ahh -choires”.

D/Troit

Saw these funky guys at Vanguard and they just played P6 at Koncerthuset as well. I liked them at Vanguard and I like them on record. Funky Stuff!

Franklin Zoo

Admitted: I'm a sucker for grunge music. Franklin Zoo is too close to their idols in Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, but they still give pretty good live concerts. They played Copenhell this summer, so it might not be completely unlikely.

Kaleidobolt

Saw this finnish trio at KB18, and the sound was basically terrible. Furthermore the band seemed quite introvert, strecthing a bit too long. I would not reccomend them. BUT! Through all the horrors it sounded like they actually had decent songs that could unfold in the right setting. Still a ”dis-reccomendation”, but maybe you know them Wallu and can elaborate if they are better than the venue and crowd allowed?
jonathansoegaard wrote: Roskilde Warm-Up recommendations (or maybe the opposite):

Kaleidobolt

Saw this finnish trio at KB18, and the sound was basically terrible. Furthermore the band seemed quite introvert, strecthing a bit too long. I would not reccomend them. BUT! Through all the horrors it sounded like they actually had decent songs that could unfold in the right setting. Still a ”dis-reccomendation”, but maybe you know them Wallu and can elaborate if they are better than the venue and crowd allowed?

Nope, never heard of them nor have I seen them live. But I´ll keep an ear out if they´re around.
Only thing that comes to mind for the warm-up days is The Hearing. One girl with loop machines and great set of songs. Great stuff.

Talmud Beach, I really like this one. I mean really. :

Hard to say if the following would be small and new enough to play Rising, but I put them here anyway. Maybe they would.

Pekko Käppi, mixing traditional finnish music with gritty swamp blues playing an old instrument called Jouhikko (sort of a lyre, played with string). :

Death Hawks (I know I´ve put them on some other thread too, but here goes for the Rising), great psychedelic band. Three good albums already, following their own path :

I can´t descpibe this band well enough, it has to be experienced by each one him/herself. Back from the days rock´n´roll used to be fun, Räjäyttäjät. Jukka Nousianen the singer of the band is at least a cult figure in Finland even though he has been known in the music scene only a couple of years. Genious, really. And a guitar god. So much fun this band, not a joke though.

I really hope that that D/Troit will be booked. I like it very many.
Saw Clarissa Connelly, Gents and LISS yesterday.

While Clarissa Connelly was a more exciting prospect than Gents on paper (her album is more adventurous than Gents' Future Islands-schtick), she couldn't really lift it live. Gents were great and played a convincing 45 minute set, while LISS were out-of-this-world good. Seriously, they've got everything down so tight, you wouldn't expect this band to be so young.

I'd take both Gents and LISS for the Apollo Countdown stage.
Wow that Pekko Käppi is some strange S***! Not me, but I see the quality.

I really enjoy Death Hawks though. They sound really cool at first listen. Will check them out some more for sure. They would be a solid warm up booking :)
Coldblooded wrote: Saw Clarissa Connelly, Gents and LISS yesterday.

While Clarissa Connelly was a more exciting prospect than Gents on paper (her album is more adventurous than Gents' Future Islands-schtick), she couldn't really lift it live. Gents were great and played a convincing 45 minute set, while LISS were out-of-this-world good. Seriously, they've got everything down so tight, you wouldn't expect this band to be so young.

I'd take both Gents and LISS for the Apollo Countdown stage.

LISS seems like a pretty obvious booking! Had not heard of them, but they already play Jazzhouse and Vega. Pretty crazy they have 0,5 mio listens on spotify already on their 2 numbers.
A band like Velvet Volume could play Rising as well. Very hyped at the moment. Don't like their music..
jonasporsborg wrote: A band like Velvet Volume could play Rising as well. Very hyped at the moment. Don't like their music..

Guess you dont like rock music at all then?
Oh yeah, completely forgot about Velvet Volume.

I expect them to be booked already. Roskilde just hasn't announced them yet. Seriously, they're a no-brainer. Heard them two times live this summer, and they deliver every time. Their show at P6 Beat Rocker, at least the couple of recorded songs that got out from there, also suggests that they've already grown leaps and bounds since I last saw them.
We are still missing many warm up acts! I went to Pumpehuset friday for a showcase to see some upcoming bands. Rumor at the venue was that there was also people representing festivals (/Roskilde). I was pretty drunk and missed some of the first acts, but in general it was a lot of fun and some good concerts:

Fjorden Baby!

Norwegian pop/rock band. Had some decent songs, but also some that was downright annoying (igjen og igjen og igjen og igjen as a chorus!!!). Most of all I lacked some energy from the band and crowd. Didn't convince me at all.

Aksglæde

Surprise of the evening. Danish pop with danish lyrics. They've only released one song that is a quite simple and intelligent pop tune. It is enjoyable and I ended up hearing it too many times for unknown reasons (the trademark of a good pop tune :D ) before the concert. The new songs seemed more funky while keeping the feel good / easy to listen to pop vibe. It was pretty awesome that they had brought horns at this small show! I would love to see them at Roskilde! BOOK THEM!

The Ritual

I've mentioned The Ritual before, and they were the reason I knew about the event. They blew me (and everyone else I think) away I think. They've played better concerts musically, but it seemed the hype have grown (they've been played a little on P6 and was "the new shit" at Sort Søndag recently) as the crowd was much more involved! This was the only concert where the audience and band really had something great going on. Their fans was easy to spot as they had smashed their faces with warpaint to celebrate the native american vibe :lol: :lol: :lol: . A lot of singing along at this one. BOOK BOOK BOOK.

Katinka

I don't understand the hype she is getting at all. Saw a little and then went to the bar (for mysterious reasons, as I was drunk enough!). I don't hope Roskilde will go this way for (Based on this event I would go Aksglæde instead for danish languaged pop act for the warm up).

Soho Rezanejad

Electronic 1 woman act. Wasn't my thing when I listened in advance (but I'm not that into electronic music either). I liked that she did not "fake" the electronic part at the concert. She simply pressed play on the computer and then went singing / interacting with the crowd. Very interesting atmosphere she created. I might also have been slightly drawn by the fact that she is very attractive / mysterious looking. Basically I ended up enjoying it and "dancing" :). I rarely find myself at electronic warm up, but I might go see this again even though it's not my thing at all.
Will have to check them out myself online ,
Acts like Emma Acs & The Inbred Family and Kentaur seems liek obvious bookings also. Both are pretty hyped and currently active.

They have to do good to top last years warm-up program. Acts like Yung, The Entrepreneurs and De Underjordiske teared the Rising stage apart.
Last year I missed all of the warm-up bandwise due to heavy drinking in the first days of the festival (didn´t really leave J for 4 days). If I´m able to go this year, I hope I won´t make that same mistake again (althought I really had fun). The warm-up in 2014 had really great music in it (Minds of 99, Slöa Knivor, Kill J and others) so I think of those days as a part of the music programme too.
jonasporsborg wrote: Acts like Emma Acs & The Inbred Family and Kentaur seems liek obvious bookings also. Both are pretty hyped and currently active.

They have to do good to top last years warm-up program. Acts like Yung, The Entrepreneurs and De Underjordiske teared the Rising stage apart.

Emma Acs already played the then equivalent to Rising, Pavilion Junior, in 2011. She was backed by the same band, though they weren't billed – so she definitely won't play during the warm-up days.

Only time that has happened was with Beta Satan and The Malpractice in 2008 and 2011.

The Malpractice, while playing entirely different material, are essentially the exact same bunch of people as the former, except for Beta Satan's lead singer, Kaare, who couldn't be arsed to play rock music anymore and left before the guitarist, Johannes, took over.
17 posts Page 1 of 2