Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
63 posts Page 2 of 5
Really nice add to the line-up today i must say. Looking forward to see MØ at Orange stage, LCD Soundsystem, Chvrches, and Tame Impala!
As always the smaller names are way more interesting than the big names on the poster.

My thought on todays additions:

1. If Tame Impala is a headliner, it looks VERY bad imo.

2. Havent listened to LCD, but it seems people are happy about them.

3. MØ.. Not really diggin it. But Lean On will make Orange explode, so guess its okay.

4. Protomartyr + Savages are great booking. Great, noisy post punk.

All in all OK booking. But am I the only one who thinks that this years headliners are VERY weak?
jonasporsborg wrote: All in all OK booking. But am I the only one who thinks that this years headliners are VERY weak?

Most of my camp (10 loyal Roskilders) is considering skipping this year, since we find both the headliners, sub headliners and the bands with small print incredibly weak this year. Still hoping they're saving the best for the big release though, but my hope is diminishing with each new booking.
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:
jonasporsborg wrote: All in all OK booking. But am I the only one who thinks that this years headliners are VERY weak?

Most of my camp (10 loyal Roskilders) is considering skipping this year, since we find both the headliners, sub headliners and the bands with small print incredibly weak this year. Still hoping they're saving the best for the big release though, but my hope is diminishing with each new booking.

I´m not sure if I´m gonna make it either. The line-up is really weak in big and middle section, but that hasn´t come up as a surprise to me. There just aren´t that many good bands around. Besides that, Roskilde usually has done a really great job at finding the small print names, but now there´s only a couple I want to see. Still, if I end up not going it's for health-issues, not the line-up. For I enjoy the party and the line-up is always better on the festival than on paper.
Wallu wrote:
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:

I´m not sure if I´m gonna make it either. The line-up is really weak in big and middle section, but that hasn´t come up as a surprise to me. There just aren´t that many good bands around. Besides that, Roskilde usually has done a really great job at finding the small print names, but now there´s only a couple I want to see. Still, if I end up not going it's for health-issues, not the line-up. For I enjoy the party and the line-up is always better on the festival than on paper.

This is true. I love Roskilde. I haven't visited another festival quite like it. But it seems that Northside is scooping up most of the bands I like this year, and as you said - there just isn't that many touring. However - if any of the danish festivals end up with Giraffe Tongue Orchestra, Killer Be Killed, Cloud Cult, Archive, Guns N Roses (with Slash) or Grandaddy, I'm willing to go to that particular festival. It's just probably not gonna happen.
I think Tame Impala being billed as a subheadliner earlier was erroneous. It looks like they headline from this.

Don't think that's especially bad IMO. I mean, yeah, if RHCP turns out to be the dud that people fear it will be. LCD and Mø both hover around the 6-700.000 likes on Facebook. PJ around 900.000 likes. Tame Impala are a bit bigger but not by much. It looks like the tactic is more, but smaller headliners so far. Maybe we well see one bigger name to top it out, but with Radiohead and GnR out of the question, who?

I'm more worried about booking The Minds of 99 for the third year in a row and having Mø on for the third time in four years (well, fourth, if you count her small guest performance at Street City last year in). Do these guys really still have the pull to secure ticket sales with most of the returning visitors having seen them two or three times already? Or are they more like, (relatively) cheap filler among the heavy hitters?
" Maybe we well see one bigger name to top it out, but with Radiohead and GnR out of the question, who?"

Neil Young.
A quite good batch of bands for me. I think Kvelertak, Ghost and Chvrches are must-sees for me, while Savages was somewhat dissapointing last time, it's also some I like to see. I think I will see minds of 99 also. With the big Indie-rock bands Tame Impala, LCD soundsystems and destroyer, I'm undecided on them. Some of the smaller bands are still unknown to me, so there might be something interesting there.

But I also think there is quite a lot of recycling in the release. First of all Mø and minds of 99 but also a few other recent bands.

I don't believe the headliners to be set by now. We have already seen Foals be demoted to subliner, and I'm sure, that there are t least two headliners left ( and therefor a few of the 'current headliners' will be demoted).
Got a few must-sees with this one. Ghost, Kvelertak, The Minds of 99, Savages and probably MØ as well. The problem is that these names have been around a lot lately. I'm seeing The Minds of 99 in Vega soon, and probably Savages as well. I'm seeing Ghost this February as well as the week before Roskilde at the Iron Maiden show. That doesn't matter though, given that it's Ghost I'm seeing.
My must-sees are bands that I have seen twice. At least. Except for Bring Me The Horizon. I find this a bit odd...

But even though I must say that this years big names, are the weakest I have ever seen, they pretty much nailed the rock and metal section so far
I have a couple of must sees, and 4-5 that I look forward to seeing. So all in all not bad, but me to is missing the wow-factor. I really do not hope that Neil Young is supposed to represent that. I dream of Tool, Dr. Dre (NWA), System of a down or something similar (not based on tour-schedules or anything, just free dreamin' ;) ).

And I was also suprised they did not present Mumford and Sons this time.
While the program may be looking a little underwhelming, keep in mind that not even 1/3 of all the acts have been announced so far.
I'm not underwhelmed at all. I can't believe that there's still 100+ names to go. Can't be many headliners though (max 1), but they will surely have a lot of good stuff left (and of course a lot of warm up names).

EDIT: The only downside to me is the amount of recycling in names, and that the headliners seem to be solid, but lacking some WOW-factor.
I can understand the "is the headlines that strong" but dont get it with the rest

Action bronson, BMTH, Foals, Ghost, Kvelertak, Sleep are great strong subheadliners (And some of the others name might also be, but not my world so dont know)

And like all years there is a lot of gold in the small names, but the small names is often amatter of tast, but that dont make them bad.
For me small names like Aurora, Frank Carter & the rattlesnakes, HO99O9, Savages are great bookings and I am sure that for others it will be other names.

So I cant understand the hate on sub and small names. Sure it wont fits alls tast, but the books are noway les good this year then normal
Christian Forslund wrote: A quite good batch of bands for me. I think Kvelertak, Ghost and Chvrches are must-sees for me, while Savages was somewhat dissapointing last time, it's also some I like to see. I think I will see minds of 99 also. With the big Indie-rock bands Tame Impala, LCD soundsystems and destroyer, I'm undecided on them. Some of the smaller bands are still unknown to me, so there might be something interesting there.

But I also think there is quite a lot of recycling in the release. First of all Mø and minds of 99 but also a few other recent bands.

I don't believe the headliners to be set by now. We have already seen Foals be demoted to subliner, and I'm sure, that there are t least two headliners left ( and therefor a few of the 'current headliners' will be demoted).

Roskilde more or less just confirmed that the current headliners indeed *are* headliners:

He didn't count right – there are eight names in the biggest text size – but I consider this answer sufficient.

EDIT: They amended the number now to be the correct eight names.
They also confirmed that we will get additional headliners!
63 posts Page 2 of 5