Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
63 posts Page 3 of 5
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: I can understand the "is the headlines that strong" but dont get it with the rest

Action bronson, BMTH, Foals, Ghost, Kvelertak, Sleep are great strong subheadliners (And some of the others name might also be, but not my world so dont know)


I can only elaborate on my part - Foals is a strong sub, the rest I've seen at Roskilde in recent years. Some even more than once. Not only that - they've played other venues in Denmark recently as well. Some even more than once. I really can't see the subs as strong, even though I do like Ghost, I really don't need to see them again so soon.
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: I can understand the "is the headlines that strong" but dont get it with the rest

Action bronson, BMTH, Foals, Ghost, Kvelertak, Sleep are great strong subheadliners (And some of the others name might also be, but not my world so dont know)


I can only elaborate on my part - Foals is a strong sub, the rest I've seen at Roskilde in recent years. Some even more than once. Not only that - they've played other venues in Denmark recently as well. Some even more than once. I really can't see the subs as strong, even though I do like Ghost, I really don't need to see them again so soon.


Ghost headlined Copenhell last nummer, now a new album on the way - I would call that a strong sub

BMTH - have gone to a new level with the new album and sold out Vega, that is also strong for me

Kvelertak have been on a succes run after last the kicks Roskildes ass and is bring a new album, again I will say strong

Action Bronson is getting bigger by the day.

Sleep are legends in what they do
By your definition of strong - Muse would be a strong headliner yet again. Size and reviews don't do it alone for me. Exclusivity and number of shows played recently makes a booking stronger in my book. I can only speak for myself of course, but Ghost, Kvelertak, Action Bronson and BMTH are frequently visiting Denmark and have been booked recently at Roskilde as well. I just want something fresh instead of the same acts again and again, and there are a lot to choose between out there.
This was a really good group of names for me. LCD Soundsystem is a must-see. So's Tame Impala (although I'm going to see them next week as well) and Destroyer. I'm very happy with Savages, Floating Points and Savages too.
BMTH - 2011 (5 years)
Ghost - 2011 (5 years)
Kvelertak - 2013 (3 year )
Action Bronson (3 years)

If you can bring a band back after 3-5 years when they have a new album out it will be hard to get good bands. If the festival is not allowed to book bands when they are hot... dam it will be hard to get good names. And yes some of the bands have play club/festival shows in Denmark the last years, but hey we live in a world where most band live of there tour money, so they will be in Denmark more often.

But lets try with BMTH name me 1 bands that would be a bether subheadliner in that genre? A band that have a new album out and can draw a big arena crowed

And the Muse comment is just lame, they played last year and have not put out a new album. Dont know why I wast time answering after that.
The Muse comment was based on your arguments. Now that you've elaborated a bit, it doesn't fit in anymore.

Roskilde can book bands they've booked before with no hating on my part. But as I've writen twice before, these bands are frequently visiting Denmark. As in very frequently. Not only that - they've played Roskilde before. Now one or two of these kinds of frequent visitors are to be expected, but so far, most of the sub headliners fall in this category. They've played other danish festivals, their own gigs as well as Roskilde within the last couple of years. That's why I really can't see the sub headliners as a strong batch this year. You may disagree all you want, but surely you must understand my message here, right?

Other bands in about the same category and size as BMTH that have a new album coming out this year, are probably the same list as you could make up - Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Norma Jean, Gojira, Hatebreed, Walls Of Jericho, Babymetal, DevilDriver, Meshuggah, Life Of Agony, Lacuna Coil, Hellyeah, Testament, Anthrax. Killer Be Killed and Giraffe Tongue Orchestra might even release this year as well. Who knows - some of them might still be booked.
Converge - Great band, but I am sure that they would be a small print band, but a big arena show
The Dillinger Escape Plan - the samme
Norma Jean - again the same.. last they play in Denmark, they played Beta, dont know if they sold out, but BMTH sold out Stor Vega

And so on. Bigger bands on yout list like Gojira is no way a band in the same genre (only way is if you see all metal as one, but there will be no teenages girls at Gojira) and they play Denmark just at often at BMTH(but yeah a few more year last the play Roskilde)
Hatebreed is at lest also core like BMTH, but just in 2014 they play Denmark 4 times

So no I dont think you have names just 1 band that could fill the role BMTH do with the same succes at a subheadliner with a big arena show
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: I can understand the "is the headlines that strong" but dont get it with the rest

Action bronson, BMTH, Foals, Ghost, Kvelertak, Sleep are great strong subheadliners (And some of the others name might also be, but not my world so dont know)


I can only elaborate on my part - Foals is a strong sub, the rest I've seen at Roskilde in recent years. Some even more than once. Not only that - they've played other venues in Denmark recently as well. Some even more than once. I really can't see the subs as strong, even though I do like Ghost, I really don't need to see them again so soon.


Sleep hasn't played Roskilde ever. They have, however played at Amager Bio back in 2012. Chvrches are also Roskilde-newcomers. They have been in Denmark somewhat recently though.

I think we have muuuch more in store regarding the subs, since there are only 10 booked out of averagely 25-30 names in that category.
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: Converge - Great band, but I am sure that they would be a small print band, but a big arena show
The Dillinger Escape Plan - the samme
Norma Jean - again the same.. last they play in Denmark, they played Beta, dont know if they sold out, but BMTH sold out Stor Vega

And so on. Bigger bands on yout list like Gojira is no way a band in the same genre (only way is if you see all metal as one, but there will be no teenages girls at Gojira) and they play Denmark just at often at BMTH(but yeah a few more year last the play Roskilde)
Hatebreed is at lest also core like BMTH, but just in 2014 they play Denmark 4 times

So no I dont think you have names just 1 band that could fill the role BMTH do with the same succes at a subheadliner with a big arena show


Hahahaha, that's just nit picking. My critique of BMTH is that they've recently played Denmark on several occasions and visited Roskilde as well. Converge, Norma Jean and Dillinger would probably draw close to as big a crowd as BMTH. It seems you're just a bit biased or are just ignoring what I'm saying here. Either way - even if there is no screamo/metalcore act that would fit the bill, my opinion would stay exactly the same for the reasons mentioned many times already.

And now that we're at it. BMTH might play Arena, but it'll only be half full. Just wait and see.
Coldblooded wrote:
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: I can understand the "is the headlines that strong" but dont get it with the rest

Action bronson, BMTH, Foals, Ghost, Kvelertak, Sleep are great strong subheadliners (And some of the others name might also be, but not my world so dont know)


I can only elaborate on my part - Foals is a strong sub, the rest I've seen at Roskilde in recent years. Some even more than once. Not only that - they've played other venues in Denmark recently as well. Some even more than once. I really can't see the subs as strong, even though I do like Ghost, I really don't need to see them again so soon.


Sleep hasn't played Roskilde ever. They have, however played at Amager Bio back in 2012. Chvrches are also Roskilde-newcomers. They have been in Denmark somewhat recently though.

I think we have muuuch more in store regarding the subs, since there are only 10 booked out of averagely 25-30 names in that category.


Sleep is a great booking. I just think they would fit the small print better. But let's see. They might play a somewhat full Arena show, I just highly doubt it (I don't even think they'll play a full Avalon show - my guess is they'll be playing Pavilion).

I forgot about CHVRCHES. Perfect sub (really should have played last year... or the year before that... or the year before that... but that's a different discussion altogether). So that's two out of ten. Still pretty bad in my book.

I can only comment on the bands booked so far, so when I call the headliners, subs and small print weak by any standard, I am refering to the Line-up so far. I can't predict the future. If most of the rest are strong, I'll be the first to admit it. I love Roskilde. It's been something I've been looking forward to every year for 20 years, and I really wanna love the line-up. I just don't so far.
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:
Hahahaha, that's just nit picking. My critique of BMTH is that they've recently played Denmark on several occasions and visited Roskilde as well. Converge, Norma Jean and Dillinger would probably draw close to as big a crowd as BMTH. It seems you're just a bit biased or are just ignoring what I'm saying here. Either way - even if there is no screamo/metalcore act that would fit the bill, my opinion would stay exactly the same for the reasons mentioned many times already.

And now that we're at it. BMTH might play Arena, but it'll only be half full. Just wait and see.


It is not nit picking, it is showing your that your are wrong. Noma Jean and Converge is on my must see list for Copenhell this year, just like BMTH is for Roskilde.
But BMTH is a so much big band. And the last album just makede them even bigger. It becomes more and more clear you dont know what you takning about. They only was I might be biased, it by beeing a metal critic and by that have to follow the scene a lot.

Facebook it not the trut at all but just to show how big they are. BMTH got 5.5mio likes. NJ got 226k, Converge 223k, The Dillinger Escape Plan 312K. BMTH got more then a lot of the headliner.

So it just seems like you dont like BMTH or dont know them.
I like them okayish, know them, am a journalist myself, been active on the metal scene for many years etc. If you wanna get personal with me, just stop the discussion as is. I commented on your comment, only to clarify my opinion, which you didn't "understand". Understanding and agreeing are two different things, and in my opinion, everyone should be able to understand and accept other people's opinions. You are just completely ignoring what I'm saying here. So let's try again. BMTH isn't that strong a sub in my book for these reasons A) been to Denmark recently B) been to Roskilde recently C) seeing that most the subs have the same issues, this makes it an even weaker sub. Exclusive and fresh acts make stronger subs for me, and that's pretty much the end of it. You wanted me to list bands with new albums coming out in 2016 in somewhat the same genre that could draw as big a crowd as BMTH, so I did. That was however a side track, and NOT relevant to the discussion whatsoever. Likes on facebook, size of venues etc. don't have a definite impact on the crowd a band will draw at a music festival. You know this as well as I. Especially when it comes to metal.
Lord Beef Jerky wrote: The Muse comment was based on your arguments. Now that you've elaborated a bit, it doesn't fit in anymore.

Roskilde can book bands they've booked before with no hating on my part. But as I've writen twice before, these bands are frequently visiting Denmark. As in very frequently. Not only that - they've played Roskilde before. Now one or two of these kinds of frequent visitors are to be expected, but so far, most of the sub headliners fall in this category. They've played other danish festivals, their own gigs as well as Roskilde within the last couple of years. That's why I really can't see the sub headliners as a strong batch this year. You may disagree all you want, but surely you must understand my message here, right?

Other bands in about the same category and size as BMTH that have a new album coming out this year, are probably the same list as you could make up - Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Norma Jean, Gojira, Hatebreed, Walls Of Jericho, Babymetal, DevilDriver, Meshuggah, Life Of Agony, Lacuna Coil, Hellyeah, Testament, Anthrax. Killer Be Killed and Giraffe Tongue Orchestra might even release this year as well. Who knows - some of them might still be booked.

I think you are wrong on BMTH, firstly they have more than 5mio facebook-likes, which gives a strong indication, they they are very popular and much more popular than any of the bands you mention, and secondly I think they have much more mainstreamappeal than any of the bands you mention, which is important at RF, which doesn't have enough pure metalheads to fill Arena. So I think they will attract a lot of 'ordinary' rockfans. Personally I don't like metalcore, and this is about the only band in the genre, I would like to see myself, but te are a must-see for me.

Also not having played at RF since 2011, where I believe they were a much smaller name (I didn't even notice them then) they are not to early. And I think they are a great booking.

Personally, I think they are more worthy of a headliner spot than Tame Impala og LCD soundsystem.
You can't base popularity on Facebook-likes alone, but Bring Me The Horizon actually has more Facebook-likes than FIVE of the current EIGHT headliners...

... combined!

That is, LCD Soundsystem, Mø, New Order, PJ Harvey and Tame Impala – they total about 5 mil. likes, whereas BMTH have around 5.5.

I'd say that they're the worthiest subheadliner of them all. S!vas appears to me as the tiniest name in that lot, which just corroborates my hunch that he will open Orange Stage.
Coldblooded wrote: You can't base popularity on Facebook-likes alone, but Bring Me The Horizon actually has more Facebook-likes than FIVE of the current EIGHT headliners...

... combined!

That is, LCD Soundsystem, Mø, New Order, PJ Harvey and Tame Impala – they total about 5.5 mil. likes, whereas BMTH have around 5.5.

I'd say that they're the worthiest subheadliner of them all. S!vas appears to me as the tiniest name in that lot, which just corroborates my hunch that he will open Orange Stage.


That is really interesting! Had no idea they were that big. I actually didn't know of them before the announcement. It gives to show that we have some (worthy) but still "small" and hopefully not that expensive headliners. Looking forward to what will happen further in the headliner / subheadliner category.

Could BMTH even take on orange stage this summer?
63 posts Page 3 of 5

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron