Roskilde Festival Forum

It is currently 25 Mar 2017, 08:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 13:08 
Forum moderator

Years at Roskilde: 2007-
Camp: Blastbeast Metalcamp
So now we know that The Syrian National Orchestra for Arabic Music will open Orange stage with Damon Albarn and other guest.

PPL on facebook sounds happy. What do you guys think? And what is it that make ppl so happy? Is it Albarn? Is it The Orchetra? How many would go see it with out Albarn?

I am just trying to understand the hype

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 13:25 

Years at Roskilde: 2011-2016
Camp: Koncentrationscamp
Don't think I would go see it, if it were without Albarn. I don't really understand if they'll play some Blur/Gorillaz/Albarn/other-material, or if it will be the Syrian Orchestra + Albarn and other musicians playing Syrian-style music.

Anyways. Im pretty glad about this booking. It's really not many danish acts that can pull of a great show at Orange - I think Syrian + Albarn will.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 13:30 

Years at Roskilde: 1996-2002, 05, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16
Camp: Camp HighRollers
I am not excited, but really curious of what this show will be like. Will probably go, but if if I will stay for 5 mins or 90 mins is hard to say :D

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 13:57 

Years at Roskilde: 06-07, 09, 11-forever
Camp: Tour De Francekilde
I was slightly underwhelmed by Africa Express because of too many line up changes, but it was great when they played! This will likely be just one set with focus on Syria, so I suspect it will be a better experience. Albarn also have the stage appearance Orange requires. I'll most likely attend.

I think it's lovely they go in a different direction than a danish band. Set a positive spot on Syria, and just think out of the box and give us something special. This booking represents one of the reasons I enjoy Roskilde so much.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 14:14 

Years at Roskilde: 2006-2010, 2012-????
I was really surprised to see that announcement as i was expecting something like Sivas, Gilli or one of the danskhall bands.

But its a very positive surprise.

I had a fun time watching the first hours of Africa Espresso and his Solo concert and Gorillaz ditto was very wonderful.

If people want to see what they will get then look at the video of White Flag from Gorillaz 2010 concert where members of the Orchestra was on stage.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 14:21 

Years at Roskilde: '08-'15
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
So now we know that The Syrian National Orchestra for Arabic Music will open Orange stage with Damon Albarn and other guest.

PPL on facebook sounds happy. What do you guys think? And what is it that make ppl so happy? Is it Albarn? Is it The Orchetra? How many would go see it with out Albarn?

I am just trying to understand the hype

I'm positively surprised by this. I expected something like S!vas or Blaue Blume which would've just been a regular concert on a big stage, more or less. This is a bit more unique. Then you've obviously got Damon Albarn who we know can put on a great show both on his own and in this sort of set-up. I'm excited to see who they're going to bring on stage. What's not to like?
It'll at the least be interesting.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 15:32 

Years at Roskilde: '00, '01, '04, '09-'15, '17-
I think I heve never attented the Orange opening concert (except that Patti Smith speech in 2010). That will change if I´ll be able to come this year. Great statement on behalf of the festival, I love the fact that they´re constantly addressing political issues too and the fact that Syria is an unlivable place right now, needs to be reminded. On the musical side it´s great to see world music on Orange, even though without Albarn, there wouldn´t be much of an audience. I probably would go and see them even if they played Gloria.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 20:00 

Years at Roskilde: 2011- ?
Camp: J CAMP
Looking forward to this, should be interesting, nothing like a good eclectic jam. :D

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 20:31 

Years at Roskilde: Annual since 1994
Great booking, no one really know what they are gonna get, so they will just have to check it out and see. Sort of the essence of what the music program at Roskilde is all about: You probaly dont know it yet, but it will be great!