A section for random Roskilde festival related stuff that doesn't quite fit in the above categories.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
This will be my first Roskilde so would like as much input and peoples experiences on Roskilde, and any special advice. Also is ther e huge culture other than the obvious alcohol? much love. x
It depends a little on what festivals you have already visited and where you are from.
The music program you'll have to decide for yourself but you will see that Roskilde is not about booking as many popular headliners as possible but they focus a lot on smaller acts, world music, hip-hop and metal.

If you are not from Denmark / Scandinavia you will also notice the Danish / Scandinavian culture which is super relaxed / laid back and beautiful. Although, Danish people will be the first to tell you that they are a bit distant and closed, you will not really notice this at the festival at all.

One major difference compared to almost any other big festival is the fact that the festival is non-profit. You will notice this in almost everything. The focus on humanitarian causes, biological products, but most of all the many volunteers that do everything from keeping the festival and camping area clean, security, stage building, operating the food and drink stalls etc.
Many of the food stalls are run by sport clubs and local organisations (all non-profit themselves). The fact that the festival is non-profit also keeps the food and drink prices reasonable (and you pay in Danish Kronen, not with tickets/chips/tokens so prices are not rounded up to the price of a ticket/chips/token).
You will also find that there are not many rules that you will find on other festivals. You can bring as many food and drinks to the camping area as you like (and even to the festival area, with a limit of a halve litre of drink). People are allowed to bring huge sound systems to the camping.

Probably the most unique aspect of Roskilde Festival are the so called "warm-up" days, the 4 days leading up to the 4 days of the full music program. While there are already (smaller Scandinavian) bands playing on three different stages during those days and there are a lot of other activities organised by the festival, the best thing are the parties and activities that are organised by the visitors themselves.

One practical tip: if you are planning to come with several friends and multiple tents, it's advisable to be there in time for the camping areas to open and also buy an entrance booking for one of the entrances when buying your ticket. Find out where you would like to camp in advance and buy your entrance ticked accordingly. The areas closest to the festival area are the most popular and fill up in hours after the camping areas open, but so does the more relaxed "Silent & Clean / J" area (which requires yet another booking ticket this year).
If you are unable to make it the first day, you will probably end up the "P" camping area, unless you are just one or two people with one tent and don't mind walking around a lot.

Take a look on the forum at the many thread and tips from last year (and the years before). Most will still be relevant for this year.
I agree with B. The main thing making Roskilde special from other festivals is the warm-up, which is not to be missed. It´s just too much fun. So, it´s the same advice to everybody who´s going for the first time : if you go, go for the whole 8 days. And if you´re there for the music, explore all the stages even if you don´t know the artist playing, you´ll run into some great parties when least expected. Danes really know hiow to party. On the other cultures than alcohol, I can only say that from time to time there´s something in the air, but it´s not that it´s everybody on drugs all the time. Well, some might be... :) Be nice to people (everybody is) and say thank you a lot. As well as skååål with strangers. No good-hearted fun is consired awkward in Roskilde, it just adds to the experience. And congratulate yourself, you´ve chosen the right festival, there is nothing quite like Roskilde. Just respect others and you´ll be fine. Don´t eat the yellow snow.
I recall hopping on a plane giving one more of these so called (Great European Festivals ) a go, seven years ago. Although I had done many European and most Irish festivals before over 20 years I was ,nt expecting RF to be any more than a sunny place to drink a few beers ,listen to a few bands , and meet a few new people, and check out a new town . Boy I was right that is what you get and you get it 100 percent , stopped searching then , maybe there is a better festival out there , its all matter of taste I presume. :D
4 posts Page 1 of 1