A section for random Roskilde festival related stuff that doesn't quite fit in the above categories.
43 posts Page 1 of 3
DMI is ready with their 3 months summer forecast

http://www.bt.dk/danmark/varm-dansk-som ... med-dommen

http://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/maaned-og-saeson/

The trend of slightly warmer weather than normal looks to continue in the period May to July 2016. We end up probably total half - or even a whole - degree above normal for the three months. We can look forward to normal or slightly below normal rainfall, which especially June and July seem to offer little drier weather than normal.
May is likely to start with rather dry and sunny weather. Gradually, however, seems to be more unstable, and some weak fronts with rain passes Denmark from predominantly southwestern directions. There will also be present bursts, which are strong place shown. It will be quite mild with up to one degree above normal for the season. You can see what is normal in the figure below.
In June builds a high-pressure probably up west of the country - of the British Isles and northwestern Europe - while low pressure dominates over Eastern Europe. This results in that case a dominant northwesterly or northerly airflow over the country and greater opportunity for dry and sunny periods. However, the likelihood of hot midsummer limited. In periods will probably low pressure moving down over Scandinavia from the northwest and remain some days, giving cooler weather and the possibility of heavy showers. The average temperature for the month appears to be normal or slightly above normal - up to a degree above. Overall, see the month out to be a little dry than normal, but a few days with heavy showers may be locally elevated levels.
In July the trend remains somewhat drier and slightly warmer weather than normal - perhaps up to one degree above normal. It seems that the high pressure will continue to dominate W of Denmark, while a low pressure area is mainly located above the Baltic and Russia. It provides a higher probability of dry and sunny weather, with pretty good summer temperatures, although that may not come so many midsummer days. Periods of less low pressure and rain and thundershowers will occur at local rainfall.
Just thinking about the weather , it has got to 15 C here in Ireland the last few days , but it could still snow tomorrow , How did the rain of 2007 effect the festival atmosphere ?
From what I recall, some people left the festival in 2007, but few.

Those who stayed partied as usual and probably a bit more, since there was no in-between. Party, booze, dancing to the music and good company were what kept everyone warm and cosy after all.
People improved their gear, bought rubber boots, bought large tarps to put over several tents and had a dry space between them for the group. Party tent legs were shortened by half, allowing them to cope better with the wind.

Walking long distances on muddy roads and sometimes in pouring rain was not much fun, but when you entered the roofed stage area to join the crowd you just danced a lot more, as it meant that you would get warm and dry after a while.

I had chosen a really bad camping spot on G that year, we basically camped in a puddle/swamp from the first day and only rarely had dry ground under our feet. But most tents were ok, the party tent stood the wind and so we sat in our camping chairs with feet in the mud and heads filled with booze.

I guess it will happen again some festival year.....but this year :?:
My best camping experience was actually from 2007.

By the end of Thursday our camp was located next to huuuge pool of water, people wgewre using their air mattresses as rafters, but we got hold on some hay (the ones you use for your hamster cages etc) so the camp was sort of dry under the gazebo.

Finally we just gave a fuck and partied like it was 1999. (see what i did there)
From what I recall 2007 was really, really bad. It wasn't just a lot of rain but really an extraordinary amount of rain that caused a lot of problems throughout Denmark. I think quite a lot of people left during the warm-up days (some to return for the music days).

We camped in the area where now Apollo is located. We where lucky with the fact that we did not have water around or in our tents and in our camp but it still was very muddy. During the warm-up days we mainly stayed in the coffee lounge at the Pavilion j.r. area.
One of our camp mates left during the warm-up and the remaining camp members eventually left on Sunday morning, missing the last festival day with Muse. We where just too sick and tired of the mud and cold.

From what I remember the music days where actually not that bad but everything was mud, nowhere to sit in the grass. Everything was covered in mud or was wet.
B. wrote: From what I recall 2007 was really, really bad. It wasn't just a lot of rain but really an extraordinary amount of rain that caused a lot of problems throughout Denmark. I think quite a lot of people left during the warm-up days (some to return for the music days).

We camped in the area where now Apollo is located. We where lucky with the fact that we did not have water around or in our tents and in our camp but it still was very muddy. During the warm-up days we mainly stayed in the coffee lounge at the Pavilion j.r. area.
One of our camp mates left during the warm-up and the remaining camp members eventually left on Sunday morning, missing the last festival day with Muse. We where just too sick and tired of the mud and cold.

From what I remember the music days where actually not that bad but everything was mud, nowhere to sit in the grass. Everything was covered in mud or was wet.

That bad shit of rain where Thursday, we did´t have that much rain the days before, I even got a sunburn one of the warm up days. But yeah the ground had taken all the rain it could handel. A lot of ppl left Thursday and came back Friday (ppl living in cph or had friends there)
Thursday 2007 was monsoon style rain, worst weather I been out for. But I was not attending in 97 or 04. Anyway good music that day.

But, seriously, there have been no real rain since 07, I'm getting a feeling of this is the year for rain. We got early days in June, closer to midsummer/st. Hans., seems to be worse weather the earlier the festival is. Again 07 was at late dates...
zoon_67 wrote: Thursday 2007 was monsoon style rain, worst weather I been out for. But I was not attending in 97 or 04. Anyway good music that day.

But, seriously, there have been no real rain since 07, I'm getting a feeling of this is the year for rain. We got early days in June, closer to midsummer/st. Hans., seems to be worse weather the earlier the festival is. Again 07 was at late dates...

Satuerday 11.. if that where not real rain, I dont know what is.. it where short, but a shitload of rain
Saturday 11, I remember that rain, I was sheltering at the edge of Pavilion and there was people using long orange bench seats as cover, my desert boots got petty destroyed, some thunder and lightning too.
Typically the weather at Roskilde after El Niño years is warmer, sunnier and less wet than other years, so there's no reason to think this year won't follow that trend.
Hear hear
Lets see what will happen.in 4 fucking weeks!!!
Accuweather has a 1 month forecast, they say it might be a few thunderstorms, but of course you cant trust a 1 month forecast.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/dk/roskil ... her/125902
AGoberg wrote: Accuweather has a 1 month forecast, they say it might be a few thunderstorms, but of course you cant trust a 1 month forecast.

And you can´t trust Accuweather
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
AGoberg wrote: Accuweather has a 1 month forecast, they say it might be a few thunderstorms, but of course you cant trust a 1 month forecast.

And you can´t trust Accuweather

They are usually more on the money than DMI, in my experience. But then again that doesn't say much.

I rely on a combination of YR.no, DMI and Accuweather to get proper confused about the weather :-)
43 posts Page 1 of 3