Present your camp or share camp experiences.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
HI THERE
As it is my first time going to Roskilde and also because I am traveling alone I would like to ask for a few tips in relation to where to camp best and if I should look for a camp to harbour me beforehand (through forum etc pp) or whether it is easy and likely to meet like-minded people spontaneous in front of the entrance?

I do not have an Entrance Ticket, so I'll be joining the fun a little bit later on the Saturday I suppose, right? So where would one have probably no chances of camping and where wouldn't one want to camp at all (too far away, too quiet, too whatever)? Which areas do you prefer and why is that?

I am 24 years old, from Germany, been to quite a few festivals around Europe, but this one is the first I'll be traveling to alone and that's the reason I feel a bit jittery when I think of it all happening in under a fortnight. In a good sense I mean, like I felt going to my first festival 8 years back. On the other hand I don't want to miss crucial hints to have the best possible experience, so please go for it!

So long fellow Roskildians... ;)
incandenza wrote: HI THERE
As it is my first time going to Roskilde and also because I am traveling alone I would like to ask for a few tips in relation to where to camp best and if I should look for a camp to harbour me beforehand (through forum etc pp) or whether it is easy and likely to meet like-minded people spontaneous in front of the entrance?

I do not have an Entrance Ticket, so I'll be joining the fun a little bit later on the Saturday I suppose, right? So where would one have probably no chances of camping and where wouldn't one want to camp at all (too far away, too quiet, too whatever)? Which areas do you prefer and why is that?

I am 24 years old, from Germany, been to quite a few festivals around Europe, but this one is the first I'll be traveling to alone and that's the reason I feel a bit jittery when I think of it all happening in under a fortnight. In a good sense I mean, like I felt going to my first festival 8 years back. On the other hand I don't want to miss crucial hints to have the best possible experience, so please go for it!

So long fellow Roskildians... ;)

First up: Arrival. If you arrive by train from Copenhagen you have two choices, to go by train straight to the festival grounds (West) or by bus to either East or West Entrance. I'd say East is easier to find a spot in if you arrive after opening.
The further away from the entrances, the easier it is to find spots.
Setting something up with someone (unknown) beforehand is always hard. It's hard enough to find the people you know and are supposed to camp with. :)

You seem to have the language covered, most scandinavians are very fluent in english, but if you prefer to stay with countrymen just look for camp flags that will give away where people are from.
One tent for one person is always easy to squeeze in on opening day and people are often more than willing to move around a bit to make room. Just make sure the neighbors are in on it, or else you will get the stink eye for the rest of the week. :)

Roskilde is a big place, so wherever you set up camp in the end, there will be alot of walking done regardless if you're close or far away from the entrances to the stages.

Enjoy your first Roskilde
As for the best possible experience, you are doing the right thing to come already on the first day as Roskilde is very much about the camp life, custom built festival stereos, games, parties.
There is some good information in the sticky topics here and here.
Sounds good! I suppose I am going with the casual approach.

Another question would be how much the beer in the supermarkets on the camping site is, because I reckon the price for alcohol in denmark is quite high, isn't it? Could only find the prices if you order in advance but that's not a possibility for me - so how much for 12 or 24 cans, does anybody know? Cannot drink absinthe and sangria for a whole week :lol:

Thanks in advance!
A box of beer (24 cans), cold, sold on the camping site will be ~195DKK (same as the pre-order offer but without the extra two 4-packs).
Some more prices (from 2014 but should still be about the same):
Tuborg draft at the festival site 50cl: 38 DKK
Tuborg draft at the festival site 33cl: 25 DKK
Cider 33cl can: 35 DKK
Soft drink 50cl bottle: 25 DKK
Water 50cl bottle: 16 DKK
Box of wine (red/white) 1L: 75 DKK

Sure, buying at a supermarket will be a bit cheaper but the prices at the festival are by no means rip-off prices. Remember, Roskilde is a non-profit festival, it is not in their interest to extort you as much as they can.
For what it's worth, beer in supermarkets ranges from roughly 70 DKK for a case (24 cans) of the very cheapest to ~130 DKK for a case of macrobrew. Typically you can get one of the two major macrobrews (Tuborg/Carlsberg or Royal) on special for 100 DKK a case. On top of that comes a refund of 24 DKK, which—realistically—you won't be reclaiming. So, assuming you find such an offer, you're looking at 124 DKK for a case of lukewarm beer at the supermarket (94 DKK for no-brand beer) versus 195 DKK for a case of cold beer at the festival.

It's up to you whether the festival premium is worth it: If you're penny pinching, it may not be, but I generally opt for the festival beer. That said, I do tend to take one trip each year to the town centre to get away for a few hours, and in that case, it almost seems a waste not to bring some cheap(ish) beer along to the festival.
Hello,
All whats been said is true.
But if you travel alone and want to meet other people from europe that also dont know eachother partly.
Aaaand if you are a girl:p ( since we got alooot of men) you are more then welcome to join our camp,: camp we don't give that fuck.
Just search us on fb. :) by that name.
But im sure you'll have much fun anyway!!:d
8 posts Page 1 of 1