Discuss previous Roskilde festival experiences.
11 posts Page 1 of 1
What where your 2016, non-music, experiences at the festival? Do you have any comments or ideas on how to make the festival even more awesome?
If you received an invitation to the official festival survey, you can share the comments you made during the survey here as well if you like.
All I can say about 2016 is that staying home next year isn´t an option... :bang: :bang: :bang:
The festival wants to be more international so I thought it was fun to see the word armband used instead of Wristband or Scramble eggs instead of Scrambled eggs on the food stall next to the Countdown stage. I know they are minor details but just things that I noticed.
I see no indication that the festival want to be more international, actually the last few years the festival seems to be heading to a mostly Danish festival.
B. wrote: I see no indication that the festival want to be more international, actually the last few years the festival seems to be heading to a mostly Danish festival.

What? The festival is doing a lot to be more international, and is fighting hard to get more international guest.

The more and more special camping is for making is more easy to come, one of the reason the word warm-up have been drop it to make sure it make more sens to new ppl from the outside to come all days. The Roskilde road trip thing has been to get more international ppl, the webside only in English ect. Roskilde really really want more international guests. I can´t remember the numbers but it is working, it is going that way again after losing a lot of international guests.
Hi.
I also thought they were struggeling With getting international guests compard to about 10-15 years ago. At least fron Norway and Sweden.
In the nineties there were almost 100 000 paying guests.
After 2000 they cut it Down to something like 65 000 paying visitors? I might be wrong but i think that was the number. At that time almost 15 000 were from Norway and a few less from Sweden.
I don't know about the Swedish numbers, but i read somewhere that there were only 6000 Norwegians this year With 92 000 paying visitors (each day)?
After the Whole one day pass thing started i'm not sure how they Count anymore, but i would assume that 4x1daytickets = 1 festival pass
this would give us
2002: 15 000 / 65 000 = 23 % Norwegians
2016: 6 000 / 92 000 = 6,5 % Norwegians
A lot has happened in Norway With festivals popping up in every tiny little town, but still...

From what I see around the festival these People attend Roskilde now:
Danish teens aged 15-22 (mostly for the camping parties?)
Danes who live in Sjælland aged 20-70 who have grown up With the festival in some way (a lot of these are volunteers)
Norwegians, Swedes and Germans 30-50 who started going to the festival in the 90's - 00's and come back (almost) every year.
A few random People from around the world (mainly frpm Britain, north- and South Americas, Australia) backpacking and so on.

Who has the festival lost:
Norwegians, Swedes, Germans in their late teens / early twenties, going to the festival for their first time.
Danes in their 20s attending the festival once in a while for the Music.
As said I don’t have the number but I was told by the marketing that the numbers of Norwegians and Swedes is up a lot this year! Roskilde had lost Them, but is winning them back.

And there is not that many 15-16 on Roskilde. And with a avage age on 24 I think it is, you need a lot of ppl older to make up.

I just think you are getting older, the ppl in the 20s are still around, you might just see them as young becoures you are older (most of do that)
Just to modify those numbers a bit... :-) Not saying you're wrong or right - just that yes, it's getting better (because it could hardly get worse by now...)

(hed) wrote: I also thought they were struggeling With getting international guests compard to about 10-15 years ago.

Compared to 15 years ago, absolutely. 10 years ago, probably not so much.

From early-mid 90's until 2003, the number of international guests was consistently around or above 50%. It was more than 60% in 2002. That number dropped severely in a matter of a few years after 2003. In 2006, as far as I recall, it was below 25%. In the years around 2010 it was 8-12%.

In the nineties there were almost 100 000 paying guests.

For 4 years (1994-1997), there were 90000. Before and after that, 60-75000.

I don't know about the Swedish numbers, but i read somewhere that there were only 6000 Norwegians this year With 92 000 paying visitors (each day)?

That's 80000 all week tickets; 5000 single day tickets per day; and some weird math. The total per day in 2016 was 85000 paying visitors.

2002: 15 000 / 65 000 = 23 % Norwegians

^ That's the all time record year in terms of international visitors... :-) And it would actually be 13600 / 73000 = 18.6% Norwegians

2016: 6 000 / 92 000 = 6,5 % Norwegians

^ That's after several years where it was more like half that amount.
A bit off the subject, but I was wondering were therw any Prince/Boeie tribute parties?
Lot of Swedes starting to go again it seems. In the early noughties (yes, that is the proper name) there was years when there was almost as many international visitors as Danish. A large number of these Swedes. Then the Swedish currency took a sky dive at almost the same time as Roskilde went out of fashion due to the rise of many new competing festivals, mainly city or genre festivals, so it took a sharp decline. As the Swedish economy has grown much faster than the Danish in recent years, people can better afford to go, and it's also become more fashionable to go to Roskilde again. It's not the same Swedish audience though. Before there were a lot of hard rock/metal fans among the Swedish contingent but it seems more diverse now.
We are some of the 30 - 50 year old Germans mentioned above. were at the Festival in the 90s, and still love it. The last 2 years, though, we went to Hurricane Festival in Northern germany because of a nice camping option/area where you pay (only) 40 Euros more, and have a not too strict clean and silent, plus enough space for the camp without any trouble.

Still next year we probably will go to Roskilde again because Roskilde is more about the music. The stages are better/more individual, the lighting is better, the sound is better, the crowd is usually more focused on the music, and the lineup is more interesting. And we like the international feel, wich seems to get stronger again.

Roskilde should do more advertising in Germany , for being one of the biggest Festivals with still a warm atmosphere, and its unusually diverse lineup. it is frequently named in lists of Festivals with great critics, but still very few - 20-30 year olds- choose to go there for the first time. Too much competition by big and smaller festivals since the - ok ;) - noughties. And they should think about enhancing the special camping options even more. If you go there for the music, and if you go for a week and travel a long way, you don't want to worry about getting a nice spot.
11 posts Page 1 of 1