Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
54 posts Page 2 of 4
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
Lord Beef Jerky wrote: They really should have waited until they had a better announcement than this. Would love to see Pig Destroyer and maybe Of Mice And Men too though. Jenny Hval is good too and Angel Olsen is incredibly hyped at the moment.

No they should not. Roskilde show perfect with it why they are awesome. It is not about the headliners it is about all of the problem

Right. Personally I couldn't give a damn how they start out. They have a long way to go. But objectively - this start out is spawning a massive negativity. Just read through their Facebook page at the moment. You really can't argue against how feeble Roskilde looks in many people's eyes right now - especially since both Copenhell and NorthSide are showing their muscles. A strong start with one or two big headliners in between wouldn't create all this hate.

So yes, they really should =)
There is an interesting post on Facebook comments where someone states that acts like U2 are completely out of the question as just the stage preparations required by U2 costs something like three times the total music budget for one year :?

I appreciate they can't go into (financial) details but it would be nice if the Roskilde bookers/organisation could every now and then give some background about what they can and cannot do with the given budget and demands from the big headliner acts.

Edit: the post was not by someone from the Roskilde organisation as I though at first.
B. wrote: There is an interesting post hidden somewhere deep in the Facebook comments from the head of communication (but from his personal account) where he states that acts like U2 are completely out of the question as just the stage preparations required by U2 costs something like three times the total music budget for one year :?

I appreciate they can't go into (financial) details but it would be nice if the Roskilde bookers could every now and then give some background about what they can and cannot do with the given budget and demands from the big headliner acts.

I´m a bit pissed off at some of the bigger bands for skipping Roskilde on such minor details. Would it be impossible to play one gig without "hey, I´m a singer"-ramp. Roskilde is a non-profit organization with all the money given to charity and if that don´t convince U2 to have a smaller stage setting for one gig, they can fuck off. I´m a little pissed at Radiohead atm for skipping RF for an commercial festival. No matter how green they might be. All the profits donated to charity should give Roskilde an advantage on these millionaires. I bet they didn´t pay the Rolling Stones nearly as much as they would have gotten playing their own show
Wallu, hear hear! I think there might be more to the story behind Radiohead though - we'll just never hear it.
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:
Lord Beef Jerky wrote: They really should have waited until they had a better announcement than this. Would love to see Pig Destroyer and maybe Of Mice And Men too though. Jenny Hval is good too and Angel Olsen is incredibly hyped at the moment.

No they should not. Roskilde show perfect with it why they are awesome. It is not about the headliners it is about all of the problem

Right. Personally I couldn't give a damn how they start out. They have a long way to go. But objectively - this start out is spawning a massive negativity. Just read through their Facebook page at the moment. You really can't argue against how feeble Roskilde looks in many people's eyes right now - especially since both Copenhell and NorthSide are showing their muscles. A strong start with one or two big headliners in between wouldn't create all this hate.

So yes, they really should =)

Unless you book major name ppl on facebook bitch. It dont matter if it is now or later. And Roskilde marketing team is very strong, they know what they are doing. In a few day ppl will start check the music out, find stuff they like ect. and when the big names drop ppl will love that. but this way ppl will know more bands. And the only ppl that picks NS over Roskilde now, did it when NS booked Radiohead, most will wait (unless the go to Roskilde, NS or what ever every year)
Roskilde marketing team must be BY FAR the absolute strongest in the entire world through your eyes, Martin. They're the only one using this strategy. It's different - I'll give you that. But it also generates a lot of negativity - something I've never seen the equivalent of on any other major music festivals forum or Facebook-page. And that, in my eyes, is really not a good thing.
Lord Beef Jerky wrote: Roskilde marketing team must be BY FAR the absolute strongest in the entire world through your eyes, Martin. They're the only one using this strategy. It's different - I'll give you that. But it also generates a lot of negativity - something I've never seen the equivalent of on any other major music festivals forum or Facebook-page. And that, in my eyes, is really not a good thing.

And they are selling out.

And nomatter how they would do it, that would be there. Unless Roskilde only postede big names and then gave us the rest at some point. Facebook only want big major names. Can´t be so hard to see
This discussion got me thinking. Where I think the marketing team is really failing (and almost always has) is because of expectations. Let's use this year for example. Northside and Copenhell got some scoops, and now Roskilde is teasing their first batch of names. Seeing Roskilde is Denmark's biggest and most respected festival, this releases some huge expectations which aren't met.

I really think Roskilde should start reconsidering their release-strategy, so people know what to expect. Most festivals start out with almost all their headliners - Roskilde doesn't have to do the same (though it ultimately would be a good idea also). They could however release one headliner the 1st of every month or something like that. People wouldn't expect one at any other moment. Back in the day they had other releases at wednesday. Go back to something like that, but make sure people don't expect big names here. In other words - lower people's expectations and meet them or exceed them - not the other way around.
Lord Beef Jerky wrote: Roskilde marketing team must be BY FAR the absolute strongest in the entire world through your eyes, Martin. They're the only one using this strategy. It's different - I'll give you that. But it also generates a lot of negativity - something I've never seen the equivalent of on any other major music festivals forum or Facebook-page. And that, in my eyes, is really not a good thing.

And they are selling out.

And nomatter how they would do it, that would be there. Unless Roskilde only postede big names and then gave us the rest at some point. Facebook only want big major names. Can´t be so hard to see

Most major festivals sell out. Most way faster then Roskilde. Facebook doesn't only want big names. Can't be so hard to understand that.
Trentemøller again? i mean ffs booking people, have a talk with yourselves, 17 will be my 9th year and Trentemøller will appear for the 3rd time in that period... first time,(i believe it was 09) it was pretty great.. last time..(13 or 14?) it was utterly boring. so i seriously doubt I will attende their show..

I was hoping for a real headliner (yeahyeah Moderat somethingsomething is prolly one) to start the poster off with a bang... now we probobly have to wait until x-mas or january for the next reveal...

Dissapointed...
I think we´ll get a big headliner before the ticket sales start on 15.11.
Last year they started with Action Bronson, Mac DeMarco and 8 other acts. Then couple of weeks later RHCP was announced. Probably if the same strategy is followed there would be a big headliner announcement in a few weeks time - at least before the ticket sales and the "Christmas market" begins. Coldplay maybe? It would at some point be as controversial as RHCP but would anyway sell a lot of tickets.

On topic, I am happy with the Moderat/Modeselektor booking
People will always be divived about music and people has a tendency to hit the comments a lot more when they are not satisfied. But Roskilde has a lot more to come (approx 160 acts) and if I look at NS and Copenhell I think they have already played their best cards.

The Moderat/Modeselektor is not my cup of tea, but I think its a really great booking. This is what Roskilde can do as the biggest festival in Denmark and I've got some friends who is ready to buy their tickets just because of this booking.
That 67 is kind of tight too. So Trentemöller, Jenny Hval, Romperayo, "Hidros Zap", 67 and Afenginn will all go on my "really would like to see"-list. Not a bad start at all.
Lord beef jerky, the problem is that we got 2 healiners that are not headliners in any other festival. take a look on nova rock for example anda look where are of mice & men (as they are in roskilde)

I don't care there are good bands in the announcement, there are always in roskilde, the point is where are the rest of the festivals and where is now Roskilde. And i Will go again from Spain even if they bring shitty spanish mainstream pop singers, but this is not the way Roskilde used to do announcements when there was no northside nor tinderbox. Most of my group of budines are saying it's shitty but the gin squash and spaguetti are our headliners, but men, this is ridiculous. Nobody is going to buy the ticket for this 14 bands. And we want the sold out to have more money for charity.
54 posts Page 2 of 4