Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
54 posts Page 3 of 4
Jackster, I feel your frustration. Roskilde will have a couple of big headliners - one might even be announced this year. So don't worry about that. But that's exactly what I meant - it's a bad marketings strategy to announce this batch as the first. It will piss people off. A couple of years back, Roskilde almost had monopoly on the danish festival market, so they could afford being lazy and arrogant with the band slips. The generation now is at Roskilde partly because the generation before told them what a great experience it is. That will not continue this way. People now have more choices, and poke at them long enough, and they'll go somewhere else.
I´m sure they´ll announce something big before the tickets are out. (If they have something big, that is...)
It's probably just RHCP again... :D
The first acts are all very (beautifully) different.

Now we've got the:

Electronic act: Trentemøller (no more of that)
The spacey ones: ROMPERAYO (ok, but not much more of that)
The shouters/rappers: 67 (we understand, it's ok)

Roskilde is still pointing in many directions. This is good...but we still need to focus :-)

As the old clever man in the tent said: I need some music to rise to. Stæj hævi, stæj mental.
I´m guesisng M.I.A (who has seen better days), Kings of Leon and Prophets of Rage, which would leave us with the worst headlining material of all times. But that´s how it is nowadays.
Hoping for Massive Attack.
Could it be that Moderat / Modeselektor will close of the orange stage with a crazy electronic party. That could be a fun way to go out :D
Think I'll enjoy Moderat/Modeselektor. I still need to listen more to Jenny Hval and Angel Olsen to figure out whether it's my cup of tea. At first listen Hieroglyphic Being sounded interesting. I don't really care much for Trentemøller to be honest, but I'd urge everyone to go to the Afenginn show, they're usually really good at moving between grandiose cinematic music arrangements and the all-out balkan party.

EDIT: I do agree with the people saying that this is a strange marketing strategy. If there's one thing we know about people by now it is that they're shit and first impressions stick. Also there's never a middleground: Either something is amazing or utter dog shit, at least to the Facebook crowd.
Pig Destroyer will be awesome. Intrigued by that Moderat/Modeselektor collab - sounds very interesting and like an awesome show.

Promised myself to check out more of both Jenny Hval and Angel Olsen. So honestly, I'm pretty confident atm. Surely I've seen Trentemøller a few times, but what's the alternative? Mø? Volbeat? Plea-he-hease, no! At least Trente's show at Arena will be different.

Ps. Also, if Mod/Mod collab and Trente is it for this year's electronic headliners, I'm please! No Major Laser, Chase and Status, etc.

Plus! Who's going to take on Orange while Trente plays Arena? Preferably some huge rock/metal name (although it'll probably be Prophets of Rage...)
Mixed feelings from this announcement. On one hand, Trentemøller, Angel Olsen, Marching Church and Mats Gustafsson, are pretty good booking. But on the other hand, I really think we miss the wow-factor.

I know there's reasons for bands picking other festivals to play, but Radiohead (and System Of A Down) just looks so much better. Of course Roskilde will pull some great (or at least, a little great) headliners again this year, but for a "start of new season" this announcement is a bit poor, in my opinion.
DukeofDK wrote: Surely I've seen Trentemøller a few times, but what's the alternative? Mø? Volbeat? Plea-he-hease, no! At least Trente's show at Arena will be different.

In term of Danish headliners? People have been screaming for DAD and Kim Larsen for some time now. Other than that there's Mew, Lukas Graham, Nephew and probably a few more that could pull off an Orange headliner show. Not a lot to choose from indeed.
Lord Beef Jerky wrote:
DukeofDK wrote: Surely I've seen Trentemøller a few times, but what's the alternative? Mø? Volbeat? Plea-he-hease, no! At least Trente's show at Arena will be different.

In term of Danish headliners? People have been screaming for DAD and Kim Larsen for some time now. Other than that there's Mew, Lukas Graham, Nephew and probably a few more that could pull off an Orange headliner show. Not a lot to choose from indeed.

Kim Larsen will never happen
Lukas is only play 1 danish festival in 17 (Tinderbox)
Nephew have not been active for a long time
Mew played in 15 and dont have a new album out, but sure they can play Orange
And DAD well aslong as they play so many festivals, Grøn Koncert and so on, I dont think Roskilde will bring them back. But sure would love to see them, but dont think they will be the danish headliner unless they one year only play Roskilde and but on a special show
Kim Larsen is not very likely indeed. Never say never though.
DAD really should happen soon. Was once Roskilde favorites with many memorable shows.
Mew just did some shows with Copenhagen Phil. Something like that would be interesting at Roskilde.
Nephew is bound for a reunion anytime soon.

Let me add Dizzy Mizz Lizzy to the bunch.

Anyway - just answered a rhetorical question, so my answer reflected that. There are more than three options out there. Though not a lot.
DAD would be absolutely awesome, they were my favourite band when I was 15-16 yo. But since it hasn´t happened in such a long time I wouldn´t be holding my breath waiting for it to happen again.
Pretty happy with the acts announced , diverse and interesting although most of them had escaped my radar until now, and at this stage wasn,t expecting any headline acts.
54 posts Page 3 of 4