Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Announced today:
Den Sorte Skole will bring to life their most ambitious project ever. A custom-made spectacle composed and produced solely for an exclusive late-night slot on the Orange Stage at Roskilde Festival 2017.
http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/news/20 ... ange-stage

Den Sorte Skole to conquer the Orange Stage
The Danish masters of sampling will bring guests from all over the world when they take over the festival’s biggest stage for a once-in-a-lifetime show.

Over the past 45 years, Roskilde Festival’s biggest stage – the iconic Orange Stage – has hosted many of the biggest artists in pop and rock history. From Rolling Stones to Nirvana, from David Bowie to Rihanna, from Bob Dylan to Patti Smith, from Paul McCartney to Nicki Minaj.

Having played bigger and bigger stages at the festival since first appearing in 2006, Danish sampling duo Den Sorte Skole are set to conquer that very same stage when they return to Roskilde Festival for their biggest ever show in the summer of 2017.

Guests from all over the world
Den Sorte Skole will be creating a unique show for their Orange Stage performance with special guests from Egypt, Colombia, Indonesia, Iceland, Turkey, Austria, Italy and Denmark. The crate-digging duo, consisting of Martin Højland and Simon Dokkedal, is known for spectacular audiovisual shows that combine exotic sounds with dance-friendly beats, promising a night to behold at the Danish festival.

Using thousands of samples, they compose music that challenges the way we perceive music and the way new music is created. Esteemed art groups Dark Matters, Obscura Vertigo and Frederik Heitmann are in charge of visuals for the ambitious show. Created exclusively for Roskilde Festival, the show will only be performed this one time.
See this is the kind of night party I want on Orange!
The nights on Orange looks very Electronic this year. I don't know how i feel about it. I don't like the general notion that the night needs to be an electronic party - on the other hand they have booked some solid artists I actually would enjoy watching.
Sounds interesting. I just might show up for this!
Orange nights look amazing for 2017, Justice, Moderat/Modeselektor, Den Sorte Skole, and maybe Trentemøller, could make the 01.00 slot 4-in-a-row legendary this year.
I think Trentemöller is said to play Arena.

Looks very electronic indeed.... That´s a bit of a shame that we have had "Rolling Stones to Nirvana, from David Bowie to Rihanna, from Bob Dylan to Patti Smith, from Paul McCartney to Nicki Minaj" and this year we´ll have couple of guys playing theitr music from turntables.

I know it´s hard nowadays to book solid headliners, but this is where we are in 2016.
^^
Uhm, Justice and Moderat/Modeselektor and (with a Danish angle) Den Sorte Skole with a special show ARE solid headliners in 2016. Some of the others might have been headliners in their prime, but times change and the new standard of big late night electronic shows are great and popular and where music is at nowadays.
BigL wrote: ^^
Uhm, Justice and Moderat/Modeselektor and (with a Danish angle) Den Sorte Skole with a special show ARE solid headliners in 2016. Some of the others might have been headliners in their prime, but times change and the new standard of big late night electronic shows are great and popular and where music is at nowadays.

Den Sorte Skole isn't headlining ;)

Although I'm not huge on electronic music, both the Moderat/Modeselektor collab and Justice should be awesome. As for big headliners, I'm honestly not that bothered. As long as the sub-headliners are bands like Deftones, Gojira, At the Drive-In, Blink-182, etc. I'm quite content. Obviously, a big rock act on Orange is something special IMO, but I believe that both Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire are up for the task.
I found a real gem from Roskilde´s 40 year anniversary - the whole Den Sorte Skoles gig on youtube.

Too bad, that due to copyright laws the sound has been muted from this video, but otherwise it´s still there. Enjoy!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR9JoP0b3-E
I'm born positive regarding the acts at Roskilde.

But I have to admit, that when I yesterday saw that Primus has been booked to North Side, Carcass and Ministry to Copenhell, I became a little sad.

Those 3 acts would fit perfectly.

True, we had both Carcass and Les Claypool in 2014. But Les C is not Primus.

I think I heard Ministry mid/late 90', but to be honest, I don't remember the concert clearly.

There has to be a bigger focus on the "not electronic" acts (not headliners, that secondary). We need some of the smaller acts like in time have been:

They Might be Giants, Nicole Atkins, Blues Pills.......
Wallu wrote: I found a real gem from Roskilde´s 40 year anniversary - the whole Den Sorte Skoles gig on youtube.

Too bad, that due to copyright laws the sound has been muted from this video, but otherwise it´s still there. Enjoy!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR9JoP0b3-E

This would do ;)

https://vimeo.com/25519734
DukeofDK wrote:

Depends on ones definition of headlining. They are playing Orange, they have an international following and reputation, their show features loads of international acts, and at a popular slot according to this forum, and as a very popular booking judging by the response on Facebook, and they are so far exclusive to Roskilde in 17.
BigL wrote:
DukeofDK wrote:

Depends on ones definition of headlining. They are playing Orange, they have an international following and reputation, their show features loads of international acts, and at a popular slot according to this forum, and as a very popular booking judging by the response on Facebook, and they are so far exclusive to Roskilde in 17.

No headliners are the one in the top of the poster. the next are the subheadliners. So Den Sorte Skole is a subheadliner at Roskilde.
What slot they play, following ect dont matter. Where Roskilde puts them on the post do. That dont make the show less or more. But that is just how it works :-)
Well, my argument was that Den Sorte Skole is a big name in 2016, even though someone might not like that its an electronic band and not a rock dinosaur. When Wallu listed his "headliner" bands, no one cared to point out that not all the names he listed wasn't a headliner on the Roskilde poster either, so whats the point really?
17 posts Page 1 of 2