Present your camp or share camp experiences.
19 posts Page 1 of 2
The areas with pre-setup tents was sold out already in december. The last three years I've been at Roskilde (2013, 2014,2015), this was my preferred camping since I'm not arriving at day one, but this time I was too late to book tickets. :bang:

I've put my name on the waiting list, does anyone know if Roskilde is considering making the GAT-area bigger with more tents?
I don't think they are. The festival site is only so big, and making a bigger GAT area would only eat away at the other camping areas. Plus there's the issue with fencing them off properly – ideally you want a GAT area that is easily separated from the regular camping area by geography. Expanding the GAT area would mean that they'd have to look for other "pocket" areas that are easily walled out of the rest of the camping area, and I can't really see where and how that would be possible.
True that!
But in 2013, they had one of the GAT-areas in the west, north of the skatepark and motorway. So I thought maybe that was an idea.

You had to go through a underpass, so it was a bit distance to the rest of the festival and the festivalsite, but it was really nice area (and silent - im getting old...).
You're completely right about that – I forgot that year! That could be a possibility. I think the demand has to be massive though, since expanding the camping area doesn't come cheap.
My first year at Roskilde back in 2006 me and my brother stayed at GAT South all the way back in Snoldelev or something like that.
It was a 10 minute bus trip each way!!!!!!!

But I wonder why Roskilde isn't doing like Coachella and sells hotel packages with bus shuttle and stuff like that.
There is plenty of hotels in a 25 kilometer radius so it shouldn't be a problem to get rooms.
bolstfu wrote: True that!
But in 2013, they had one of the GAT-areas in the west, north of the skatepark and motorway. So I thought maybe that was an idea.

You had to go through a underpass, so it was a bit distance to the rest of the festival and the festivalsite, but it was really nice area (and silent - im getting old...).

If you want it silent, there´s always the Silent & Clean area (J that is). Although not that silent and clean, it´s still a bit better option for an elderly gentleman as myself.
bongo-anders wrote: But I wonder why Roskilde isn't doing like Coachella and sells hotel packages with bus shuttle and stuff like that.
There is plenty of hotels in a 25 kilometer radius so it shouldn't be a problem to get rooms.

They did last year with two or three nearby hotels. It was extremely expensive, over €1000 for four days if I remember correctly.
I don't think Roskilde has ever added extra get-a-tent or other camping options after selling out their initial tickets for those.
Why the waiting list, then? To check the demand for next year, maybe?
Oh well, I was too slow this year!

Silent&Clean is absolutely a good option, but I wasnt planning on arriving that early. Thats what so good with GAT. But maybe Ill take the whole weekexperience again this year!
For the five years I attended Roskilde, I stayed at GAT, mainly because I never arrived earlier than Tuesday or even Wednesday and I was afraid not to be able to pick a decent spot for my tent. Also, traveling by plane, it allowed me to pack lighter - although I brought back a couple of those orange tents over the years.

For my first two years ('11 and '12), I remember GAT was on the other side of the eastern entrance, across the road, which meant quite a long way to the tent and back - better not forget something in the tent. The GAT area north of the skate park in 2013 was a great improvement, as it was much closer from both the festival area and the main camping. The current location is just perfect in this regard, and it is still quiet enough to take some rest when needed - at least while the scorching sun doesn't turn the tent into some kind of sauna, but well, one can always bring a sleeping bag under the trees. But those "perfect" areas come necessarily in limited supply, so I guess it is not possible to expand a lot those options. Also, the GAT / tenthouse entry ticket is larger than the regular camping, but this probably doesn't imply that it brings more revenue to the festival, even if demand is huge, as these areas are sparcely populated, compared to the main camping. Also, the tents have a cost, and it takes some manpower to pitch them, even if this is done by volunteers.

bolstfu wrote: Why the waiting list, then? To check the demand for next year, maybe?

I think the waiting list is related to the ticket exchange, which is linked from the ticketmaster web site (follow the "Sell your ticket safely and legally here" link.
bolstfu wrote: Why the waiting list, then?

The waiting list is to give people a change to buy returned tickets from the official ticket vendor (instead of trying to buy a ticket on an unofficial market place or ticket swap site).

Edit: what Pat. said ;)
I dont think Roskilde want the GAT and special camping like that to grow.

Sure it is nice for ppl for how are old, getting there lat, not from DK and so on. But a big part of the Roskilde we know and love is the camping crazyness. If that part get small Roskilde loses a lot of makes it unik. So it is great that there are some special camping, but the normal camping(and Dream city) is what makes Roskilde special
I see Get a Place a bit of a mix betweeen Gat a Tent and regular camping. You can arrive late, but still there are no pre-pitched tent fields. Which is quite a depressing site compared to all the liveliness of regular camping. So the fact that they´ve really put effort on Geta Place this year is quite positive. Let´s see how that works out...
Wallu wrote: I see Get a Place a bit of a mix betweeen Gat a Tent and regular camping. You can arrive late, but still there are no pre-pitched tent fields. Which is quite a depressing site compared to all the liveliness of regular camping. So the fact that they´ve really put effort on Geta Place this year is quite positive. Let´s see how that works out...

What has been changed for GaP this year?
Maagen wrote:
Wallu wrote: I see Get a Place a bit of a mix betweeen Gat a Tent and regular camping. You can arrive late, but still there are no pre-pitched tent fields. Which is quite a depressing site compared to all the liveliness of regular camping. So the fact that they´ve really put effort on Geta Place this year is quite positive. Let´s see how that works out...

What has been changed for GaP this year?

It´s much larger and takes almost all of P.
19 posts Page 1 of 2