Roskilde Festival Forum

It is currently 25 Mar 2017, 08:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 16:41 
Offline

Joined: 04 Feb 2017, 21:00
Posts: 11
Years at Roskilde: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
I missed them too... But Roskilde tend to bring back the good world acts relatively often (Bomba Estereo, Amadou and Miriam, Jupiter Okwess), so I still have hope for a reprise some day!

Thanks for the tip on Joujma, will definitely check that out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 09:53 
Offline

Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 13:39
Posts: 96
Years at Roskilde: '08-'15
Wallu wrote:
Didn´t we have them a couple of years ago? Would like to have them back as I missed them that time if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Yes, I remembered right. They played Odeon in 2013.

Yup, what a great show that was. Would definitely go again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 13:35 
Offline
Forum moderator
User avatar

Joined: 04 Mar 2009, 09:32
Posts: 1751
Location: Aalborg, Denmark
Years at Roskilde: 2007-
Camp: Blastbeast Metalcamp
It is intressting for me to read her how much it mattes to you guys. For me world music is just one of thoes weird things that is a part of Roskilde. Sure I would find it bad if Roskilde stoppede booking it, but if it is 5 out of 175 band or 30 dont make a diffrence to me, but awesome to see that is it so importen to some true love for music is so great to see


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 15:10 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 10:48
Posts: 1139
Years at Roskilde: '00, '01, '04, '09-'15, '17-
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
It is intressting for me to read her how much it mattes to you guys. For me world music is just one of thoes weird things that is a part of Roskilde. Sure I would find it bad if Roskilde stoppede booking it, but if it is 5 out of 175 band or 30 dont make a diffrence to me, but awesome to see that is it so importen to some true love for music is so great to see


Maybe you should sometime visit one of the shows. Sometimes (or usually) they turn out to be the best parties there are in Roskilde (or anywhere that is). :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 15:48 
Offline
Forum moderator
User avatar

Joined: 04 Mar 2009, 09:32
Posts: 1751
Location: Aalborg, Denmark
Years at Roskilde: 2007-
Camp: Blastbeast Metalcamp
Wallu wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
It is intressting for me to read her how much it mattes to you guys. For me world music is just one of thoes weird things that is a part of Roskilde. Sure I would find it bad if Roskilde stoppede booking it, but if it is 5 out of 175 band or 30 dont make a diffrence to me, but awesome to see that is it so importen to some true love for music is so great to see


Maybe you should sometime visit one of the shows. Sometimes (or usually) they turn out to be the best parties there are in Roskilde (or anywhere that is). :)


I have been at some when random dropping by Roskilde style.. but it is not me ;-) Bring me some finnish punk rock :-p


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 16:05 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 10:48
Posts: 1139
Years at Roskilde: '00, '01, '04, '09-'15, '17-
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
Wallu wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
It is intressting for me to read her how much it mattes to you guys. For me world music is just one of thoes weird things that is a part of Roskilde. Sure I would find it bad if Roskilde stoppede booking it, but if it is 5 out of 175 band or 30 dont make a diffrence to me, but awesome to see that is it so importen to some true love for music is so great to see


Maybe you should sometime visit one of the shows. Sometimes (or usually) they turn out to be the best parties there are in Roskilde (or anywhere that is). :)


I have been at some when random dropping by Roskilde style.. but it is not me ;-) Bring me some finnish punk rock :-p


I know, mate.. I know. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 09:28 
Offline

Joined: 27 Jan 2015, 13:39
Posts: 96
Years at Roskilde: '08-'15
Wallu wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
I have been at some when random dropping by Roskilde style.. but it is not me ;-) Bring me some finnish punk rock :-p

I know, mate.. I know. :D

Speaking of: is it just me or have we got more Finnish bands than we usually do?

A bit on topic again: World music has somehow managed to become one of the main attractions of Roskilde for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 09:58 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 10:48
Posts: 1139
Years at Roskilde: '00, '01, '04, '09-'15, '17-
Maagen wrote:
Wallu wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
I have been at some when random dropping by Roskilde style.. but it is not me ;-) Bring me some finnish punk rock :-p

I know, mate.. I know. :D

Speaking of: is it just me or have we got more Finnish bands than we usually do?

A bit on topic again: World music has somehow managed to become one of the main attractions of Roskilde for me.


Off topic : Yes, it´s been many years since we have had three finnish bands on the poster. But as a finn I must complain a bit as we do have really good bands in other genres too, not just metal, that would deserve to get booked once in a while.

On topic : Roskilde showed me the world of world music. In 2004 I practicully lived in the Ballroom stage once I discovered the vast variety of music outside western world. Loved it ever since. It´s one big reason (out of many of course) for me to come to Denmark every year because as I said there isn´t much of world music here in Helsinki.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 23:49 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 21:18
Posts: 22
Years at Roskilde: 1993 - and every year since
Speaking of Global, did you guys check out Pixvae? (they play on feb 18th). Here is a booking I already would love to see reprised at RF this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UivEyOv0JA4


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 13:15 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 14:13
Posts: 55
Years at Roskilde: 87-06, 08-12, 14-16
Camp: Camp Kijafa
Question from a Rock and Metal head:

How do you define world music today. I have found more than one definition when I googled it.

4-6 years ago I heard a concert with an African band, who played on African floor drums, and a sort of string instrument while "rapping".
I'm not into hip-hop/rap music, but this was amazing. I think it was on Pavillion. I walked by, during the concerts startup, and stayed until the last tune.

Is that World music in your definition?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 13:28 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010, 01:45
Posts: 1488
Years at Roskilde: All years from 1999-2016 so far
Camp: FREUD: Den ubevidste lejr
ppholst wrote:
Question from a Rock and Metal head:

How do you define world music today. I have found more than one definition when I googled it.

4-6 years ago I heard a concert with an African band, who played on African floor drums, and a sort of string instrument while "rapping".
I'm not into hip-hop/rap music, but this was amazing. I think it was on Pavillion. I walked by, during the concerts startup, and stayed until the last tune.

Is that World music in your definition?

Yeah, that would certainly fit my definition. But the definition is very loose in my opinion. In my mind, world music is not a genre that defined by absolutes or set in stone in any way, but more broadly music that has taken distinct colour, taste and sound from the specific region it comes from. World music could also be metal if said metal had for example a distinct Iranian or African flavour.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 14:20 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 14:13
Posts: 55
Years at Roskilde: 87-06, 08-12, 14-16
Camp: Camp Kijafa
When I google the definition, I get a lot of different answers, so I think you are right regarding the loose definition.

But then...why using a definition of a genre, if it's not a genre definition? :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 14:30 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2010, 10:48
Posts: 1139
Years at Roskilde: '00, '01, '04, '09-'15, '17-
The term was originally created for commercial purposes. I find it quite useful when talking about non-western based music. Although it covers wide range of different styles, there´s always that ethnic third-world element in world music artists. So I dont know if a african rap artist qualifies as world music if the music itself hasn´t have that local twist in it.

That being said it´s not just third-world music that qualifies for example maybe Afenginn could be described as such.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 15:09 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 14:13
Posts: 55
Years at Roskilde: 87-06, 08-12, 14-16
Camp: Camp Kijafa
Wallu wrote:
The term was originally created for commercial purposes. I find it quite useful when talking about non-western based music. Although it covers wide range of different styles, there´s always that ethnic third-world element in world music artists. So I dont know if a african rap artist qualifies as world music if the music itself hasn´t have that local twist in it.

That being said it´s not just third-world music that qualifies for example maybe Afenginn could be described as such.



Regarding the African rap I saw. They had the local twist thanks to their instruments, and the special sound. I have never seen af string instrument like that, I think it had 7-8 strings and had a harsch metallic sound, they were 6 men in the band.

In fact I thought that Afenginn was spot on world music.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 15:35 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010, 01:45
Posts: 1488
Years at Roskilde: All years from 1999-2016 so far
Camp: FREUD: Den ubevidste lejr
Wallu wrote:
The term was originally created for commercial purposes. I find it quite useful when talking about non-western based music. Although it covers wide range of different styles, there´s always that ethnic third-world element in world music artists. So I dont know if a african rap artist qualifies as world music if the music itself hasn´t have that local twist in it.

That being said it´s not just third-world music that qualifies for example maybe Afenginn could be described as such.

That was also my point above. Afenginn is very much world music. People tend to lump them together with Balkan bands, but actually their biggest influence is old norse folk music, so yeah.

My "rule" breaks in half though when it comes to Danes like Addisabababand, Analogik or The KutiMangoes (who play Roskilde this year). These guys play world music but not influenced by their own home country. I guess you could call it "world music by proxy".


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

PhpBB forum hosting | phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy