Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
34 posts Page 1 of 3
I´m a big fan of world music and Roskilde is the best place to see that kind of stuff. That´s why I´m a bit worried about this year´s program so far. We only got three names : Los Gaiteros de San Jacinto, Romperayo and BCUC and that´s not very much compared to earlier years. I heard rumours that it´s really hard for musicians from third world countries get working visas to Europe these days thanks to general atmosphere and xenophobic governments. I was hoping this wouldn´t affect Roskilde, but I´m afraid it will. As I said, there has been absolutely amazing line-ups for that "genre" every year and it´s a big reason for me to visit the festival. Hope this tradition will continue despite all the closing of the borders.
I totally forgot the KutiMangoes for the warmup. Have to cut down on the drinking on the first days as there´s already lots to see on the warmup...
Dear Wallu,

I have had the same worries about the line-up. I have been a regular attendant at Roskilde since '08 and there is no doubt that Roskilde is MY festival because of the broad array of world music. To me, that is how they distinguish themselves from the other Danish (and nothern European) festivals - and the most important genre for their bordercrossing image. Often, it is amongst the world music that I have had the best concerts; both for parties and for heart-touching moments. And they always appear to make people with otherwise widely different musical preferences come together. OK, introduction over!

I was also worried that Roskilde was slowly abandoning this genre. Normally, it would be around 10-15% of the total line-up. However, as I looked trough the program so far, I also think we can add bands like 47Soul, Black String, Den Sorte Skole (who are mainly sampling obscure world music nowadays - and do it well!), and Afenginn to your list. If we expand the world music 'box' to include bluegrass and country (no need to have the euro/americanocentric arrogance towards regional genres, right) we can also add Pert Near Sandstone and Margo Price.

That adds up to about 10 band, and a little more than 10% of the line-up so far. But I do agree that we need more 'pure' world music acts playing some sweet afrobeat, cumbia or whatever. I don't know whether it's a contemporary thing that we don't see them yet. Remember that we used to have several awesome balkanbrassbands in the lineups every year, but that stopped around 2010 which I guess was reflecting a trend.

So, this is my first post. I have been a ghost in here since about 2010, but this post by Wallu forced me to finally create a profile and join the discussion :D be proud!
I don't think they're abandoning the genre at all, but the current political climate may have a thing to say in how fast or slow the bands are trickling in.

AFAIK it's still the same guy booking the world music bands, Peter Hvalkof. He is also still deeply embedded in the venue Global Copenhagen, so it's not like there's been a big change there.
Oh, I totally overlooked 47Soul and Black String for no reason. That makes the numbers a bit better. Hopefully we´ll get lots more.

I was wondering if they still had the same booker because I find the quality in that department lacking a bit from previous years. (Or maybe I´m still just having a tantrum because the cumbia band has electronic background)

Welcome to the forum, Toxoman!!
Yes, Peter Hvalkof is still around and he always delivers with his bookings! I guess my worries was that the booking group as a whole would give lower priority to the world acts. But if we remain just above 10% of these acts in the total lineup I'm happy.

I do miss some of the more 'classical' world acts, in the likes of Toumani Diabaté, Salif Keita, or Konono No1, just to name a few.

PS: Global is an awesome venue - their bookings for the spring are superb!
Yeas, I too miss the traditional stuff. You don´t have to make such an effort with world music, usually it just messes things up.

OMG that Global programme!!!! I have to move to Denmark now. If we could have even 2-3 of those bands here in Helsinki, I would be very happy. Everyone is there. How big is that place?
It's quite small as it has room for only 230 people. The attendance is very variable; sometimes, with the more obscure bands, you may watch it with only 8 other guests. However, the last two years or so, the attendance has been frequently higher and may sell out a handful of times each season (half-a-year) when they book the big names, like Seun Kuti, or bands that recently made a good show at Roskilde.
The Program at Global this Spring is crazy good. I have tickets for several shows this spring, and I'm usually only at Global 1-2 pr. year (which is a mistake!). I think it helps Global a lot that Hvalkof are booking for both Roskilde and Global.

Let's have some patience, I'm sure it will come around. The World acts don't sell that many tickets, so I suspect we get a lot in the final big batch, so we get to dig them out. Also: Roskilde is about the names we don't know yet, so all those tasty names at Global is propably not what's in store :D
Toxoman wrote: It's quite small as it has room for only 230 people. The attendance is very variable; sometimes, with the more obscure bands, you may watch it with only 8 other guests. However, the last two years or so, the attendance has been frequently higher and may sell out a handful of times each season (half-a-year) when they book the big names, like Seun Kuti, or bands that recently made a good show at Roskilde.

I would live in that place if I was danish. :) Helsinki is totally lacking that kind of music or the acts will play places not suitable for a party (chairs on the venue etc.).
The poster is what we could call top heavy at the moment, meaning that its a little bit thin in bottom.
So I´m sure we will see more smaller acts (aka world music) announced in february and March´s announcements. (unless we get the poster in March)
From facebook after a person asked for more world music.

More is on its way. If we're lucky we'll get acts from Sudan, Brazil, Western Sahara, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia and Jamaica.
So that´s probably one reggae band from Jamaica and one desert blues band from Western Sahara. I know Joujma was just a band assembled for a movie (As I Open My Eyes), but I think they played for real so there´s a slight chance that the tunisian band could be them. What a great movie and great music that was. Highly recommended.
jonathansoegaard wrote: Also: Roskilde is about the names we don't know yet, so all those tasty names at Global is propably not what's in store :D

True that, I always try to predict the world acts based on their hype and tour schedules, but rarely do I get any correct :D You gotta love when they give us all those hidden gems!

bongo-anders wrote: From facebook after a person asked for more world music.

More is on its way. If we're lucky we'll get acts from Sudan, Brazil, Western Sahara, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia and Jamaica.

I hope the brazilian acts is Bixiga 70. I never got to catch them live but I love their sound. They don't appear to be touring atm, though.
Toxoman wrote: I hope the brazilian acts is Bixiga 70. I never got to catch them live but I love their sound. They don't appear to be touring atm, though.

Didn´t we have them a couple of years ago? Would like to have them back as I missed them that time if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Yes, I remembered right. They played Odeon in 2013.
34 posts Page 1 of 3