We know you love to talk about music. This category is for all non Roskilde festival related music talk.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
1. In periods I find myself looking through my old LP's, to find "forgotten" records. I just re-discovered Butterfield Blues Band :-).

2. I have also begun listening to the Danish radio station P6Beat. They play a mix of new and old, rock - alternative. I will give it my recommendations.

Below is P6 Beat own description of the channel:

"P6 BEAT is for the curious who want to be surprised. It is for those who want more and go with behind the music. P6 BEAT embrace the alternative currents - both in the challenging and innovative underground music and in popular genres."

3. Of course I find inspiration from the Roskilde line-up. In a way it's the best, because you are guaranteed to have the possibility to go to a concert with your new found band/act.
I too listen to all of the bands through in Roskilde line-up to find something exciting. It´s a good way to find music. I also do this with other festivals, club venues schedules etc.

Also I used to work part-time in a library and was carrying 40-50 cds / week for downloading them on my pc. I gathered a library of about 10 000 songs and a lot of that stuff was collections of different genres with various artists in them, so I´ve been playing that on random to find out new bands.

I listen to Radio Helsinki for about 3-6 hours a day. It´s great. Huge. Nothing is as huge as Radio Helsinki. Making radio great again... But yeah, no playlists, the dj´s select their own music and even if it is not as good as it was 5 years ago, there´s still great music to be found.

Then there´s Spotify, Youtube and last.fm of course. They recommend similar artists to those you´ve listened so far. That sometimes work. I also use rateyourmusic.com to find out what records to listen from the artists that interest me (although the ratings usually don´t like the quirkier stuff I like, but the reviews are usually helpful.)
Forgot to mention the LP´s. I had vinyl-mania for about a year or two, so I bought almost 500 albums (in addition of 200 heavy metal albums from my teen years..) and have not checked them through yet. I´m sure most of it´s is good, but with this overwhelming explosion of music everywhere there hasn´t been time to go throuh it all... But, no reason to hurry.
Thank you for the tip regarding Radio Helsinki.

Listening to it now on http://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Helsinki-985-s97243/

But but but...It's a little difficult for my Danish ears to understand who's playing :-)

I think you should try to give http://www.dr.dk/radio/live/p6beat/ a chance. And yes, it's in Danish
Extra information Wallu: You can see the playlist on P6 Beat, so you don't have to learn Danish.
I checked that out quickly. Cool, that they show on internet which songs they are playing. Radio Helsinki doesn´t do that for they usually change their minds on the go and play much music from vinyls. (that has been their explanation for not having on-time playlist. They do publish the playlist after the shows though.)
Oh, you posted about the playsilsts as I was writing my post... :)
I am a music critic so I often listen to new band before going to a concert to reveiw them, keep a eye out on festival, local show ect and that way check out a lot. And my friend know this, so often it they find a new band the love, they will share it with be, as the know music have a big place in my live
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: I am a music critic so I often listen to new band before going to a concert to reveiw them, keep a eye out on festival, local show ect and that way check out a lot. And my friend know this, so often it they find a new band the love, they will share it with be, as the know music have a big place in my live

Yes, I also use friends as inspiration. And sometimes that leads me to very different kind of genres.

Last summer I was presented to London Grammar. Very far from metal, and my friend knew it. So that meant, that he had used a lot of time to prepare the surprise, to get the music "sold to me". He succeeded.
Although I listen to (Internet) radio or podcasts the whole day, I mainly discover new music through music used in T.V. shows, movies and live performances at T.V. talk shows.
Finally an interesting thread! ;)

I use some of the methods already described by others, so I'm afraid I can't add anything new, but here's what I do:

1.) Recommendations from apps and sites, such as last.fm, tidal, ampya (sadly now broken for me)

This only works for me whenever I haven't tried the source in question in a while and it usually only yields one or two new good acts for me.

2.) Roskilde Festival lineup.

This used to be number 1 on my list, but I haven't got much time to listen to the lineup before the festival any more. I get one new good act per year if I'm lucky, it used to be two or more.

That's it. Recommendations from friends are mostly worthless for me, as people rarely figure out my taste. (I think I had one good recommendation from a friend in like 10 years.)

Radio used to work for me. The last good radio station I found on the net was Radio URGent (a university radio from Gent in Belgium), but that has been defunct for years. I think I'll try Radio Helsinki and P6 ;)

Edit: Woops, it seems Urgent is back http://www.urgent.fm/ but I don't know if the stream is as good as it used to be. 16 years ago I discovered Jeff Buckley and Swervedriver on that station.
I go through most of the Roskilde program and listen to the things which sounds interesting (plus artists I've heard mentioned by others).
Then I check Pitchfork to see what's being released and listen to the albums getting Best New Music or Best New Reissue and albums released by artists I already have an idea of. This means I have to listen to a bit much trap these days, which I really can't get my head around.

I used to listen to a lot of P6 Beat but haven't really done it since I finished writing my master's in the summer of 2015. I stopped because I got increasingly bored by the music, it seems like they play fewer different artists these days (and less interesting ones) and that the music is mostly decided by some higher ups leaving the hosts with less choice.
I'll occasionally tune in to the morning shows by Mikael Simpson and Carsten Holm and I do like the six hours of "P6 Beat Elsker". "Album" (I think it's called) can be decent as well.
Stream new albums when they go up on fx NPR.org. Go Soundcloud-hopping. Plow through Bandcamp's genre recommendations.

Fuck the radio. Fuck Spotify. None of those have broadened my horizon.
Coldblooded wrote: Stream new albums when they go up on fx NPR.org. Go Soundcloud-hopping. Plow through Bandcamp's genre recommendations.

Fuck the radio. Fuck Spotify. None of those have broadened my horizon.

Oh I forgot one, Cold keeps seending me weird music and forcing me to follow his facebook page with new bands :p
Thank you Friedrich Delgado, I think it was a good one too

Coldblooded, I have never heard about NPR.org, but now I know it. Thank you very much. Are you also about to force me to follow you and your "weird" music on Facebook :-)

I forgot one of those I use myself. It's pledgemusic.com. Used by bands to earn/collect money to record. Nicole Atkins has a new record on the way by using that forum.
18 posts Page 1 of 2