A section for random Roskilde festival related stuff that doesn't quite fit in the above categories.
28 posts Page 1 of 2
So, RF will be cashless. Don´t like it, I´m too old and poor.
The last few years I have been paying as much as possible with my bank card (Maestro) and I find it much more convenient.

I'm not sure from the announcement if normal bank cards are still excepted or only credit cards (to me credit cards are Mastercard, Visa etc). Anyone know?
It says credit cards, so that might be the case. I only have Visa Electron, as there hasn´t been any need for a credit card. I guess I can´t use that.
My understanding from this is that its only cash they dont want at the festival, meaning that all types of normal cards can be used as usual.
Well, that's interesting.

Not so long ago, I would probably have reacted exactly like you, Wallu, but I feel it's time to move on. I already look like a dinosaur because I have no "social" network account and because I don't even use a "smart"phone (just an good old Nokia 33xx that doesn't need to be charged after every call, which is smart enough for me ...).

Wallu, according to the news, I understand that RF will provide a no-fee, PIN-protected cash card for those who don't own a credit card of the right brand (might be the case for your visa electron), and for those who don't want to use their own credit card, like me (my swiss bank charges me crazy fees for every transaction in a foreign currency...).

DKK are anyway a very alien currency for me, and I always have a hard time finding the right coin, or combination thereof, from my wallet, which unfortunately adds a little bit of waiting time for everybody behind me in the queue. So all in all, this might be a good news...
As I understand it both debit (Nordea Pay, Visa Electron, etc etc) and credit cards will work as normal.

But the most brillant thing is that the bus/train tickets also goes cashless and for me it means that I don't need to give back on a 200 note when i sell one 25 kroner ticket for the festival train.

So all in all I don't understand why anyone except the drug dealers would complain about the festival going cashless.

When I went to Balaton Sound it worked perfect.
As long as we can use creditcards, I don't see a problem in being cashless.

I'm glad that Roskilde don't start using these "pay with a wrestband" attempts as Northside (and maybe others). As I have heard it seldomly works.
bongo-anders wrote: But the most brillant thing is that the bus/train tickets also goes cashless and for me it means that I don't need to give back on a 200 note when i sell one 25 kroner ticket for the festival train.

That is great news! Last year I paked my bags and went to the bus to go stay the last nite at a friends house in CPH. I had gone the whole festival without using cash (which is great since I can't use any leftover cash when I get back home. It just ends up in the jar which I always forget to empty before travelling back the next year). The guy at the bus refused to let me in since I only had card, and insisted that I had to go back to the camp to find a ATM. At that point I just couldnt be bothered and ended up paying 900 or something for a taxi in to Nørrebro... So for me the only problem with going cashless last year seems to have been sorted :)
ppholst wrote: As long as we can use creditcards, I don't see a problem in being cashless.

I'm glad that Roskilde don't start using these "pay with a wrestband" attempts as Northside (and maybe others). As I have heard it seldomly works.

Actually, the technology in the cashless cards and the one used in those wristbands you speak of is pretty much the same. Both use a chip, much like the one you find on your credit card. It's just the size of the plastic it's embedded into that's different.

I think the major reason why this concept failed hard on Northside and Smukfest was that the company handling that particular solution – BigeWallet and later Beeptify, same guys under different names – was deeply incompetent if not completely rotten to the core. There were so many mysterious errors in their service, weird fees for everything including even having a dormant account with them, mails sent out to people who never registered an account with them, inexplicabel withdrawals of cash on accounts, instability, arrogant, unhelpful and oftentime directly illiterate support etc. etc.

Their Trustpilot reviews speak volumes. Literally the only good thing about it I can think of is that you could reuse your account for different festivals, provided that they all used Beeptify. Thus, if you had a little spare change left over from Northside, that amount would automatically feed over to your Smukfest wristband "wallet" without you doing anything. I found that pretty clever, but I also realise that it's probably a select few that would actually benefit from such a feature. The rest was lacking in all departments.

They were lucky and got acquired by Coop which is one of the major supermarket chains in Denmark, and Beeptify as a separate entity subsequently ceased to exist a couple of years back. I think Coop just bought them out for the technology itself. Otherwise it would've been a matter of time, money and sheer number of clients they fucked over before someone started litigation against them. I'm not saying Beeptify were outright crooks, but they were damn close in their reckless way of going about their business.

Roskilde also tried out BigeWallet's bracelets before the rebrand to Beeptify. It was an internal test phase in 2013 I believe, and limited to the volunteer/backstage/press areas only. Didn't work very well there either.
I think it sounds like a good system. I hate it when festivals decide on their own pre-paid cards, tokens and other arrangements that almost always end up costing you extra time and money, but Roskildes system sounds ok.
I Norway something called "cashless card" has been popular, a terrible system where you have to pay 50kr for the card, and if you have money left you'll have to mail the card back to them to get your money back. The card also expires every year, so you'll have to buy a new one every year. I think stupid systems like these are the reason why so many are against cashless.
Roskildes system sounds good tho, they will pay back money left on the cards automatically after the festival, and you can use your normal card. Looking forward to being able to use my VISA-card everywhere, including the bus.
On topic : Just a quick question on a small matter. If the busses are cashless too how am I going to get to the east gate on the first day?

Off topic : What time do the busses start moving on the first morning? I will be in Roskilde way too early and wonder if I have to walk.
Likewise with the trains, Does the cashless festival begin at the train station / bus park in Roskilde , or just inside the festival grounds?
Bongo-Anders wrote :

"But the most brillant thing is that the bus/train tickets also goes cashless and for me it means that I don't need to give back on a 200 note when i sell one 25 kroner ticket for the festival train."

That´s why I was asking...
I haven´t been told how that cashless thing works with the bus/train ticket but I hope that its some form of contactless receiver so pin codes wont be needed.

But I´m guessing that Roskilde will release that info in due time or else I will get info at our info meeting but thats only 3-4 days before the festival starts.

Regarding the bus situation, is the the first day you talk about?

I can´t remember when they started running but else its 24/7 for the rest of the festival.
bongo-anders wrote: I haven´t been told how that cashless thing works with the bus/train ticket but I hope that its some form of contactless receiver so pin codes wont be needed.

But I´m guessing that Roskilde will release that info in due time or else I will get info at our info meeting but thats only 3-4 days before the festival starts.

Regarding the bus situation, is the the first day you talk about?

I can´t remember when they started running but else its 24/7 for the rest of the festival.

Ok. I found an old booklet from 2009 where it stated that the bussses start going at 7 am on the first day. So it´s round about that time this year too, I guess.
28 posts Page 1 of 2