A section for random Roskilde festival related stuff that doesn't quite fit in the above categories.
99 posts Page 1 of 7
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7 Next
The very much to early weather report of 2017:

Light cloudy, but still sunlight.

Temperature between 20 - 25 degrees.

Between 04.00 and 05.30 AM , dusty rain.

Now you all know how to pack and prepare for 2017 :-)
Cheers, I'll pack this evening. ;)
1997 was rainy with mud everywhere
2007 was rainy with mud everywhere
2017 will be rainy with mud everywhere
From the wiki: Roskilde Festival 2007 turned out to be the wettest one yet, by a rather large margin. Approximately 95 mm of rain fell during the course of the festival, as opposed to 44 mm in 1997, which was the wettest before 2007. Thursday was a day consisting only of rain, ending up with a lot of guests returning from the concerts to find their tents flooded. The organisers stated that it seemed that most of the people who left returned later on enjoyed a somewhat mixed weather experience Friday, and mostly dry, but a bit windy and chilly days on Saturday and Sunday.

Was not there in 1987, but 88 was good.
Lord Beef Jerky wrote: 1997 was rainy with mud everywhere
2007 was rainy with mud everywhere
2017 will be rainy with mud everywhere

1987 was my first year at Roskilde. I don't remember the weather, but the description below, kind of "confirms" your 7'er predictions. Damn.

1987 "Selvom sommervejret i Danmark oftest svinger fra år til år, så er der dog intet, der hverken før eller siden er kommet i nærheden af sommeren 1987, som den i dag stadig står, som århundredets skræksommer.
Ikke nok med, at den blev den koldeste nogensinde registreret - den blev sågar også den solfattigste vi har målt herhjemme og regn kom der også i så rigelige mængder. 
Nattefrost og 100 mm regn på ét døgn
I juni 1987 væltede regnen ned, solen viste sig også mindre end i nogen anden juni måned ,og sågar nattefrost kunne vi ej heller se os fri for.
I juli 1987 fortsatte det våde og kolde vejr - og den 18.-19. juli faldt der mere end 100 mm regn over Vendsyssel og Nordsjælland under et historisk voldsomt regnvejr"

Google translation of the above:
"Although summer weather in Denmark often fluctuates from year to year, so there is nothing that either before or since has come close to the summer of 1987, like today still stands as the century horror summer.
Not only that it was the coldest ever recorded - it was even also the solfattigste we have measured Denmark and rain also came in as large quantities.
Nattefrost and 100 mm of rain in one day
In June 1987 poured rain down, the sun was also less than in any other month of June, and even frost we could neither see us free.
In July 1987 continued the wet and cold weather - and the 18th-19th July fell more than 100 mm of rain over the Vendsyssel and North Zealand in a historically violent rainstorm "
Daaamn, if 1987 was horrible as well I'll label it a curse! Anyway - I'll take rain anyday over extreme heat with no wind. I recall one year being particularly bad where I couldn't do anything before 7pm.
Have been to the festival in only one rain-year, 2004. Hopefully the curse will be lifted and well get sunshine. 2009 was quite bad too with temperatures over 30 degrees all the time.
Well, I can stand sunshine and warm, even hot temperatures much easier than cold and heavy rain, so please, no more curses or rainy predictions. I suggest that we officially stick with ppholst's initial statement :
ppholst wrote: Light cloudy, but still sunlight.

A little rain in the end of the night is just fine to remind me that it might be time to eventually get some sleep.
My perfect weather would be a slow heat in the morning with smell of evaporating alcohol mixed with sunscreen , with the occasional shower to keep down the the pissdust 8-)
Wallu wrote: Have been to the festival in only one rain-year, 2004. Hopefully the curse will be lifted and well get sunshine. 2009 was quite bad too with temperatures over 30 degrees all the time.

The curse will be defeated.

The below is taken from the Danish Meteorological Institute:

3-month-prognosis
Released on April 11 and for the period from May to July 2017

In June and July there are very weak low pressure over the North Atlantic or even high pressure. In this case we get warmer and drier weather than normal for the season. Both temperature and amount of rainfall is, however, closely linked to the location of a possible high pressure, so the details are uncertain.
If I remember correctly in 2015 we had some very hot weather where, at least I, was more involved looking for shade and filling my water bottle than looking at bands the last two days of the festival.

I've been at a 3 day festival with all days way above 30 degrees and I only came to life a little way after sundown, starting at around 22:00. I think I saw 6 band that festival, all other time was spent sitting in the shade somewhere.

That being said I still prefer extremely hot weather over the mud-fest of 2007, simply for the fact that with extreme mud there is nowhere to sit down and relax and you have to consider every step you make.
Diggin down the memory hole (i.e. my brain), I do recall consoling myself on missing out on Sonic Youth in 87, with the fact that it had been a rainy festival... but pretty sure not on a 07, 97 scale.

If indeed this 10 year pattern is real... scary. Only one way to find this out.
Its been quiet a few years since last bad weather year.... People used to talk about a 7-year curse... buuuut I think we will have a least one more year with great festival weather.
BigL wrote: Its been quiet a few years since last bad weather year.... People used to talk about a 7-year curse... buuuut I think we will have a least one more year with great festival weather.

I will gladly repeat myself, because I'm right ;) :

ppholst wrote:
BigL wrote: Its been quiet a few years since last bad weather year.... People used to talk about a 7-year curse... buuuut I think we will have a least one more year with great festival weather.

I will gladly repeat myself, because I'm right ;) :

Is it possible to extend the rain until around 08:30 AM?
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7 Next
99 posts Page 1 of 7