Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
78 posts Page 2 of 6
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
The Xx isn't a headliner spot worthy in my opinion. I was hoping (more or less expecting) a bigger act in todays's announcement. Imagine Dragons would've done better. Hell, even The Chainsmokers. No Katy Perry is also a bummer.

In general that Thursday may be the weakest day for many years - luckily Royal Blood is there to make a ton up for it! :wub:
jacjens wrote: The Xx isn't a headliner spot worthy in my opinion. I was hoping (more or less expecting) a bigger act in todays's announcement. Imagine Dragons would've done better. Hell, even The Chainsmokers. No Katy Perry is also a bummer.

In general that Thursday may be the weakest day for many years - luckily Royal Blood is there to make a ton up for it! :wub:

I really hope we get some new material before Roskilde. I saw them at Vega and I was pretty underwhelmed, so not sure if I will give it another go this time :/
jonathansoegaard wrote:
jacjens wrote: The Xx isn't a headliner spot worthy in my opinion. I was hoping (more or less expecting) a bigger act in todays's announcement. Imagine Dragons would've done better. Hell, even The Chainsmokers. No Katy Perry is also a bummer.

I really hope we get some new material before Roskilde. I saw them at Vega and I was pretty underwhelmed, so not sure if I will give it another go this time :/

I think they were amazing at Vega, so really looking forward to seeing them again. And have been teasing a new album for quite some time, plus they have many other festivals to play this summer including Glastonbury. I'm sure they'll have new music with them.
jacjens wrote:
jonathansoegaard wrote:

I think they were amazing at Vega, so really looking forward to seeing them again. And have been teasing a new album for quite some time, plus they have many other festivals to play this summer including Glastonbury. I'm sure they'll have new music with them.

A band there is in the secoind line on Glastorbury poster, same with bonnaroo (So only 3 and 4 bands with bigger text), playing the big stage on primaverasound ect. I dont like the band, but I would have been chock if they did not headline Roskilde
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: A band there is in the secoind line on Glastorbury poster, same with bonnaroo (So only 3 and 4 bands with bigger text), playing the big stage on primaverasound ect. I dont like the band, but I would have been chock if they did not headline Roskilde

I agree they are a big act with a wide appeal, but only as some kind of sub-headliner. Fact is they are not headlining any other major festivals. As I see it, Roskilde has three headliners this year in Foo Fighters, The Weeknd and Arcade Fire. Sub-headliners are Justice, The Xx, Lorde and A Tribe Called Quest.
jacjens wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: A band there is in the secoind line on Glastorbury poster, same with bonnaroo (So only 3 and 4 bands with bigger text), playing the big stage on primaverasound ect. I dont like the band, but I would have been chock if they did not headline Roskilde

I agree they are a big act with a wide appeal, but only as some kind of sub-headliner. Fact is they are not headlining any other major festivals. As I see it, Roskilde has three headliners this year in Foo Fighters, The Weeknd and Arcade Fire. Sub-headliners are Justice, The Xx, Lorde and A Tribe Called Quest.

If A Tribe Called Quest is a sub-headliner you can never book 8 headliner without 100+ mio.
jacjens wrote:

Just to take a couple of arbitrary popularity parameters:
The XX has more likes on Facebook than Arcade Fire. Lorde has more than double as many likes as them. ATCQ and Justice both have less, but still more than bunches of other bands who have headlined Roskilde successfully.

Lorde's VEVO Youtube channel has more than 1 billion views. 1 billion. Arcade Fire's has a meagre 80 million in comparison and Foo Fighters' about 750 million.

Your headliner bar is both too high and set in a completely incongruent manner at the same time.
The fact that Roskilde has usually 7-10 headliners and other festivals have maybe only three might be useful starting point to this discussion. Just that everybody is talking about same thing.
jacjens wrote:

As far as I know, The XX are actually headlining both Primavera, NOS Alive and Pukkelpop. Probably others, too.
EDIT: Never mind, I misunderstood a post above.
DukeofDK wrote: As far as I know, The XX are actually headlining both Primavera, NOS Alive and Pukkelpop. Probably others, too.

Headliners at NOS are Foo, The Weeknd and Depeche Mode. But okay, yeah Primavera and Pukkelpop they are headlining. Still, when you look at those two line ups, the general music profile is alternative and obscure genre and that justifies their headline slot more to me. If they should play at Northside they'd probably be a fair headliner there too.
As expected this was a rather disappointing release for me personally. Really happy about Seun Kuti though! Hope to get to see Future Islands this time. Icona Pop and Royal Blood will also probably be fun. And as always a lot of new names to check out!

Really sad that the last 'big' signing was the XX (words can not explain how boring I find them), was really hoping for Kasabian or some other decent rock band.
I am grossly underwhelmed, out of 70 something acts revealed,1 (ONE) artist had me go "oh, cool"

So Arcade Fire passes as the dino/legendary act now?
jacjens wrote:

Oh so you are makeing up what you think are headliners?
Roskilde have 9 headliners: Foo Fighters, A Tribe Called Quest, Arcade Fire, Justice, Miderat/Modeselektor,Solange, Trentemøller,The weeknd and The XX.

When you make a poster like Roskilde, then that is how it works. yeah sure some headliner are bigger then other bands but they are all 9 there.
I dont know if Glastorbury only have 3 headliner, if so no they dont, but they are the top of the subheadliners, and if Glastorybury had 9, the XX would be one of them
Thor_TestPilot wrote: I am grossly underwhelmed, out of 70 something acts revealed,1 (ONE) artist had me go "oh, cool"

So Arcade Fire passes as the dino/legendary act now?

It is not a rule to have. But A tribe call quest can easy be seen as the legendary act if you want one
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
78 posts Page 2 of 6