Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
78 posts Page 4 of 6
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
I always cry a little bit inside when they announce the schedule. So many darlings to kill...
DukeofDK wrote: I always cry a little bit inside when they announce the schedule. So many darlings to kill...

Haha so true! One of the reasons I try to not get too attached to any of the bands before the schedule is released :D Which is hard with so many gems in the line up....
I normally I try to be cool until the final program is released.

But this year I can't.

I don't know why, but it tickles in my stomach every time I think of the festival, and it's often these days 8-)

The feeling of sitting in the grass, in the perfect established camp. Opening the first beer..... :wub:
ppholst wrote: I normally I try to be cool until the final program is released.

But this year I can't.

I don't know why, but it tickles in my stomach every time I think of the festival, and it's often these days 8-)

The feeling of sitting in the grass, in the perfect established camp. Opening the first beer..... :wub:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Had "one of those days" today myself too... Definitly the highlight of my year. Just 79 days to go...
I call it the Roskilde itch, every year about this time it really starts to kick in how near it is, Pretty happy with line-up release but as always there is plenty of names I don,t know which usually turns out to be a good thing , going to be into some new sounds by the time the weekend is over. :D
Mr Tuborg wrote: I call it the Roskilde itch, every year about this time it really starts to kick in how near it is, Pretty happy with line-up release but as always there is plenty of names I don,t know which usually turns out to be a good thing , going to be into some new sounds by the time the weekend is over. :D

Exactly :D
This may not be of use or help to anyone, but out of pure frustration, Im just putting it out there: I am deeply disappointed in this years lineup. It is like the booking team has gone out of its way to ruin a beautiful legacy of presenting progressive motions in many various genres and crossovers - and replaced it with an amazingly fat host of nice and pretty preforming singer-song writers (are those really that hip nowadays - or just cheap? - I count 13 at least) and a nice and clean and non threatening collection of synth-electro-RnB-pop-grime-hiphop sauces - stuff you better like, if you plan on dancing this year... Legit genres in their own right, sure, but there is an over-representation here that one cant ignore and that just worries me, being a Roskilde addict for 25 years now. I am struggling to find comfort in "the small print" as I usually so fondly do. At least with a couple of "WOW-this-I-HAVE-to-see"-feelings and perhaps a new favorite band or two to boot. Nothing this year. And so little that says: This is where I will drag my friends and have the party of the year, melting brain, balls or ass or better yet: a combo. Roskilde seem to have sold out nursing the 20yr olds and bought every pop-musician they could get their hands on to pull the kids out of their stupid camps. The result is a staggeringly one-sided, safe played and thus flat out boring lineup. Where is my fucking UMPH???

Sure I bought my ticket and sure, I've things to see every day. Bands I for most part saw before and even recently. Ill have fun, because my friends are. But I dread the thought of us silently agreeing to abandon one show after another out of boredom. Of leaving sunday morning with this flat feeling. Like fucking for four days without ever reaching climax. I really need to dig something out of that list, to remove that fear. Maybe It'll show itself when I'm there. I think I've been thourough combing through these bands...

Well... Rant out. It's been a long day...
Hands Down, that sounds like how I felt last year. Roskilde just isn't what it was back then due to how music has evolved, the crowd has changed and more festivals in DK has shown up. We can still be happy about the diversity and the focus on the up and coming acts though, and this year is far better than last year IMO - so that part is just a matter of taste.
I have to go with Lord Beef Jerky on this. Much better line-up than last year and I´m a bit overwhelmed with all the music I like from this year´s line-up. I said earlier, that I´ll find at least 60 interesting names and I´ll have to struggle not to include 20 more (leaving likes of Arcade Fire, Father John Misty and Oranssi Pazuzu out) just to have some kind of sense in the whole damn schedule.

For my personal taste, we are weak at the top, but that how it is everywhere nowadays. Helsinki´s pride and joy : Flow festival looks absolutely awful this year compared to previous ones. If I liked Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire Roskilde would seem once again very, very good.

Every year there are those "WOW-this-I-HAVE-to-see"-bands that HandsDown was talking about and I once again found some for me. Noname and Vanishing Twin are something I´ve never seen before. Totally original stuff. We´re also good on the punkish-alternative-rock with four interesting bands : Shame, Show Me the Body, Idles and Priests. Pert Near Sandstone will surely be something to see and I´m guaranteed it will make a lot of people smile. Residente and La Mambanegra for the unique Roskilde-parties. Princess Nokia and Noga Erez to check out what the youngsters are listening these days. Moon Duo and Baby Woodrose for psych-rock. I´m really waiting for that Savage Rose concert too. Is it sure they´ll play Orange? Could be a classic. I could go on and on...

So, I´m happy and excited. Each year there´s a lot of people disappointed with the line-up, but usually they like it much more after the festival. I hope that´s the case here too.
Yes Roskilde stated that Savage Rose will be playing Orange stage in an interview with either gaffa or soundvenue (cant remeber which one)
I have gone through similar feelings as stated above for the past decade, and Im mostly connecting them with growing old, or older. And that times change, and so does life and so does festivals. Earlier I always thought that the world of Roskilde would stay the same, but as years pass, I have started to realize that my favorite place on earth also goes through changes, and the only thing to do really, is to go with the flow. The festival I fell head over heels in love with in the summer of 1994 is no more. Neither is the world surrounding it. And neither is the music world. I still go to Roskilde annually, but I have lowered my expectations a lot, and I try to go with the flow and just soak up some orange feeling. Some years I dont even get to see one mindblowing concert, and Im not crazy about the state of the general music scene in the world these days, but I still need that Roskilde fix and I know that "my" concert will be out there somewhere, I just need to get lucky and walk in on it.

Oh, and if everything else fails, I put all my money on ATCQ to fix it all on the last day and save 2017...
Roskilde has been ever changing along with modern musical tendencies, no doubt. Thats a given, and thats a beauty. I am not sure the growing old-issue is the one rubbing me badly this time around. Actually especially the last say, ten years, I've realised that the classic indie-rock shows I used to go for, just arent that intersting live, unless it is a band you really know and love beforehand OR the band has an approach to their music that is distictively edgy, challenging, curious, teasing or even provoking. Last year had C'mon Tigre, Föllakzoid, Blood Sport, Los Piranas and Ex Eye to name a few highlights. Fat White Family, Fossils, MAKU Soundsystem, Kippi Kaninus + more in '15. Over the years: The Chap. Suuns. Goat. Parqet Courts... Don't get me started on Meridian Brothers and all the interesting music THAT particular band has opened my ears to. All discovered during announcements, all highly anticipated, then extremely fulfilling livebands and all leading to other discoveries later. All thanks to Roskilde!

And all the while my heavy rocking and my booty-shaking friends have had their thrills and fills, and willingly followed me (and vice versa) and opened up to these things too. They too seem snubbed this year, as far as I can tell. I hope they see it differently...

Right now I would be happy to find just one danceable (as in: ass shaking) AND hard hitting LIVE (as in: no drum-machine) act. Mambanegra could be it. Residente is not really convincing on live youtube-clips. Ifriqyya electrique maybe, but its hard to tell. Romperayo perhaps, but Im not enirely sold. I will be visiting them all, but that heavy anticipation is just missing. That UMPH, I was talking about. I just cant help but feel, that all those "the next MØ"s and dime-a-dozen electropop-acts are taking up space for those truly interesting things out there. And they are there!

But I find it comforting, that you guys disagree. I may be missing something. I hope so!
HandsDown wrote: Roskilde has been ever changing along with modern musical tendencies, no doubt. Thats a given, and thats a beauty. I am not sure the growing old-issue is the one rubbing me badly this time around. Actually especially the last say, ten years, I've realised that the classic indie-rock shows I used to go for, just arent that intersting live, unless it is a band you really know and love beforehand OR the band has an approach to their music that is distictively edgy, challenging, curious, teasing or even provoking. Last year had C'mon Tigre, Föllakzoid, Blood Sport, Los Piranas and Ex Eye to name a few highlights. Fat White Family, Fossils, MAKU Soundsystem, Kippi Kaninus + more in '15. Over the years: The Chap. Suuns. Goat. Parqet Courts... Don't get me started on Meridian Brothers and all the interesting music THAT particular band has opened my ears to. All discovered during announcements, all highly anticipated, then extremely fulfilling livebands and all leading to other discoveries later. All thanks to Roskilde!

And all the while my heavy rocking and my booty-shaking friends have had their thrills and fills, and willingly followed me (and vice versa) and opened up to these things too. They too seem snubbed this year, as far as I can tell. I hope they see it differently...

Right now I would be happy to find just one danceable (as in: ass shaking) AND hard hitting LIVE (as in: no drum-machine) act. Mambanegra could be it. Residente is not really convincing on live youtube-clips. Ifriqyya electrique maybe, but its hard to tell. Romperayo perhaps, but Im not enirely sold. I will be visiting them all, but that heavy anticipation is just missing. That UMPH, I was talking about. I just cant help but feel, that all those "the next MØ"s and dime-a-dozen electropop-acts are taking up space for those truly interesting things out there. And they are there!

But I find it comforting, that you guys disagree. I may be missing something. I hope so!

I'm counting on Seun Kuti, Mambanegra and The Avalanches (should be with band) for my ass shaking experience this year :). Maybe Romperayo, but like you I'm not convinced yet.

Seun Kuti was the best dance-party of my life in 2011, where he performed with his brother Femi Kuti. Opened my eyes to the wonders of world music.
Mambanegra is the solution. Look no further. Going to be a hell of a party. Avalanches too. Then Justice and Den Sorte Skole for a massive Orange-rave.
Wallu wrote: Mambanegra is the solution. Look no further. Going to be a hell of a party. Avalanches too. Then Justice and Den Sorte Skole for a massive Orange-rave.

Justice and Den Sorte Skole got promise, but I'm actually looking more forward to Moderat converting the Orange stage to some sort of 3-hour German Nightclub on saturday. My body will be so tired, but forced to keep the party going :D
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
78 posts Page 4 of 6