We know you love to talk about music. This category is for all non Roskilde festival related music talk.
20 posts Page 1 of 2
Which festivals, other than Roskilde, have you visited?
Lets limit it to the bigger festivals that program international artists. Dance festivals or other genre festival are allowed as well.

I've never been to any festival outside the Netherlands or Belgium (except for Roskilde so far). After working as a sound engineer during my school/student years at a string of local clubs and small festivals (but not particularly liking the typical festival rock and indie music) my first big festival as a guest was Lowlands somewhere in the late 90's and I've been going for many years since (~15 times I guess).
I've also been to Pinkpop (multiple times), Pukkelpop (1x), Rock Werchter (1x), Paaspop (1x), North Sea Jazz (Rotterdam, multiple times), Welcome to the Village (1x), Best Kept Secret (1 time, 1st year).

I've always wanted to go to Sziget although I guess it changed too much over the years. Other international festivals like Glastonbury or Coachella where never realistic due to costs and logistics. The big German festivals never spoke to me really.
Other than Roskilde I can only add a few

Beatday in Copenhagen, one year that Sigur Ros out ind Docken in Nordhavn and another year in Valbyparken where Arctic Monkeys headlined.

Giants of Rock in Gentofte Idrætspark with among others Rammstein.

Mulltiple Grøn Koncerts in Valbyparken, I remember one year when All Saints headlined.

Vi Rocker in Horsens one year with Magtens Korridorer, Kim Larsen and Nephew in a massive cloudburst.

Copenhagen Jazz Festival if it counts.

A one day ticket for Balaton Sound mostly to see Armin Van Buuren and Jochen Miller, David Guetta was crap as always. But it was my first time seeing Asteroids Galaxy Tour, wierd to see a Danish band on the main stage at a Hungarian festival.

If Sensation counts I can add 2 editions of the Copenhagen Sensation and once at Sensation Black in Amsterdam Arena.


Festivals I want to visit.

Glastonbury, Coachella, Ultra Miami Tomorrowlands and Primavera.
Roskilde 2004-
Benicassim 1999-
Primavera Sound 2002-
Azkena Rock Festival 2003-2013, 2015
Pukkelpop 2008, 2013
Graspop 2008, 2009
Roadburn 2016
Rock en Seine 2007, 2010
ATP UK 2007
Mad Cool 2016, 2017
Sonar Barcelona 2007
BBK Live 2007, 2010
Nos Alive 2010, 2016
Paredes de Coura 2005
Sonisphere Madrid 2012, 2013

Also went to USA for a couple of one-offs: PJ20 in 2011 and Orion Music Festival 2012.

I've always wanted to go to Glastonbury but now I'm not so sure. My brother has been like 4 times in coachella and with his experiences I can say I'm not interested. I guess I'd like to try Werchter at least one time, but it's almost impossible with my "not a year without Roskilde" diet.
I have also looked at Werchter but being the same dates as Roskilde rules them out.


My brother now try´s to talk me into a festival called Airbeat One two weeks after Roskilde.
Only finnish festivals besides Roskilde (10 times).

Flow, Helsinki : 3 times
Ruisrock, Turku : I think 4 times
Provinssirock, Seinäjoki : 2 times
Giants of Rock, Hämeenlinna (this was my first, got to see the mighty Sepultura on their prime time. I was a huge fan back then)
Sideways, Helsinki
Kuudes Aisti, Helsinki
H2Ö, Turku

Lots of smaller two-days festivals and constanly checking out bands outside of the festival season.

Coachella doesn´t interest me one bit and Sziget is not a option. Could go to Glastonbury, but Roskilde is by far my no 1 choice. I have my eyes on the Le Guess Who?-festival in Utrecht. That´s in November, which takes a bit out of the festival-fun. But since I´m getting older, a foreign festival where you could sleep in a hotel room doesn´t sound that bad.
In Denmark:

Smukfest in Denmark (2008) - Decent line up that year. Not my type of festival.

Copenhell (2013) - Because Alice in Chains.

Vanguard Festival (2014-2015) - Nice festival. Started with 1 rock day and 1 hip hop day. Then only old school hip-hop and soul. Liked both. Sad too see that the festival is no more (at least for now).

Will be at Copenhell (1-day), Heartland and maybe Haven besides Roskilde this year.

Abroad:

North Sea Jazz Festival (2009) - Great Line Up- Not my type of festival at all either.


I increasingly look abroad considering trying something else
Roskilde Festival

GRIMFEST/Danmarks grimmeste (not sure how many)

Aalborg Metal festival (4 times I think - indoor festival)

Royal Metal fest (3 times, indoor fesitval)

Northside (3 times)

Copenhell (2 times)

Groezrock (1 time , Belgian festival)

Smukfest (1 time)

I would like to go to more festivals not in Denmark, City festival would be best I think, want to make it a part of a holliday
I would like to go to some Festivals outside Denmark, but to be honest my experience from Roskilde is, that the travel home after the Festival will be extremely hard for me. After I moved to Jutland, I have a 3 hours travel, that's more than enough.

Anyway, I have promised myself to go to a metal festival in Germany. Preferable in northern part of Germany but don't know which, any ideas?

Roskilde (28 times)
Copenhell (4 times)
Tønder Festival (8 times)
Jelling Festival (3 times)
Metal Magic (3 times)
Even though I have lived in Norway my whole life, RF is the festival I have visited the most times. Have been to two festivals in Sweden; Bråvalla and Hultsfred (2 times). I really liked the experience at Hultsfred, but it was a really pain in the ass to both go there and especially the return trip! Bråvalla had good music, and I liked the stage set up. But everything else was so extremely commercially run. You could just sense that their motivation was to make money, and nothing else. Now they have even moved the festival to the same weekend as RF. So I do not see myself going there again (even though they book quite a few bands I would love to see).

In Norway I have been to Kalvøya 4 times, Quartfestivalen 2 times and Hovefestivalen 1 time. They are all long gone know. Have been to Øyafestivalen twice. They always have quite a good program, and also a profile with good food etc. But beeing a city festival without camping you can not compare it to RF.
ppholst wrote: I would like to go to some Festivals outside Denmark, but to be honest my experience from Roskilde is, that the travel home after the Festival will be extremely hard for me. After I moved to Jutland, I have a 3 hours travel, that's more than enough.

Anyway, I have promised myself to go to a metal festival in Germany. Preferable in northern part of Germany but don't know which, any ideas?

Roskilde (28 times)
Copenhell (4 times)
Tønder Festival (8 times)
Jelling Festival (3 times)
Metal Magic (3 times)


I know it is not nortern part of Germany, but of Denmark. But with Copenhell and Metal Magic on your list, I am sure you would like Aalborg Metal Festival
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
ppholst wrote: I would like to go to some Festivals outside Denmark, but to be honest my experience from Roskilde is, that the travel home after the Festival will be extremely hard for me. After I moved to Jutland, I have a 3 hours travel, that's more than enough.

Anyway, I have promised myself to go to a metal festival in Germany. Preferable in northern part of Germany but don't know which, any ideas?

Roskilde (28 times)
Copenhell (4 times)
Tønder Festival (8 times)
Jelling Festival (3 times)
Metal Magic (3 times)


I know it is not nortern part of Germany, but of Denmark. But with Copenhell and Metal Magic on your list, I am sure you would like Aalborg Metal Festival



Oops, I forgot that one. I went there in 2007. At that time I lived in Ålborg, amazing time - city and Festival.

I wil try to fit it into my calendar this year.
ppholst wrote: Oops, I forgot that one. I went there in 2007. At that time I lived in Ålborg, amazing time - city and Festival.

I wil try to fit it into my calendar this year.


Cool I whent in 2003, my first festival, and then toke a long break got back to reveiw it in 2013 and livede in Aalborg duing the 14-16 (guess I went 5 times), but now I have movede away but hopes also to fit it in this year
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
ppholst wrote: Oops, I forgot that one. I went there in 2007. At that time I lived in Ålborg, amazing time - city and Festival.

I wil try to fit it into my calendar this year.


Cool I whent in 2003, my first festival, and then toke a long break got back to reveiw it in 2013 and livede in Aalborg duing the 14-16 (guess I went 5 times), but now I have movede away but hopes also to fit it in this year


When do they normally start to leak names?
Too many to remember, but Ill give it a shot:
Smukfest twice, yeah its fun if you like alcohol and mainstream music.
Tønder Festival a couple of times, really cool and unique festival.
Vanguard, was awesome with old hiphop and cool location. I wish Roskilde could have a Vanguard stage.
Silkeborg Reggae Festival, was a brilliant little festival with unique location.
Scandinavian Reggae Festival, hard to make reggae vibes at Refshaleøen
RAW, can a 1 one day event be a festival? not sure, but I am sure that RAW is the best clubbing event around, just epic.
Distortion, does that count?
Pinsekarneval, the good years were great!
Splash Festival, big hiphop festival in Germany full of german hiphop, shifting locations, lent my iPod to Anders Wahren :lol:
"Music festival" in Moscow, russians do it a bit differently, but fun experience.
"Culture festival" in Perm, Russia, what the hell am I doing here? Still fun to try.

and a ton of other festivals about art and culture that probaly doesnt fit this discussion.

The downside to being an extreme Roskilde fan is, that every other festival you go to, you end up thinking: Roskilde is better, Roskilde is more fun...
ppholst wrote:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
ppholst wrote: Oops, I forgot that one. I went there in 2007. At that time I lived in Ålborg, amazing time - city and Festival.

I wil try to fit it into my calendar this year.


Cool I whent in 2003, my first festival, and then toke a long break got back to reveiw it in 2013 and livede in Aalborg duing the 14-16 (guess I went 5 times), but now I have movede away but hopes also to fit it in this year


When do they normally start to leak names?


Hmm I am not sure, but before Roskilde
20 posts Page 1 of 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron