Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
28 posts Page 2 of 2
Christian Forslund wrote: I have been to Roskilde since 2009 (and twice in 2003 and 2004) as a late starter who is now 44 years old, I look at the programe and think that is weak and I might not be going this year.

So am I to old for Roskilde, because the genres have moved on (I'm mostly but not exclusively into rock and metal), have I missed the gems this year, or is it just a weak year.

We might as well be twin brothers, and yes that makes you too old for Roskilde (there is no such thing :lol: )

My first Roskilde was 2003 when I had only been to a couple of local festivals so I was still fresh and didn't have the 'band fatigue' that you eventually get after seeing Foo Fighters, Metallica, Radiohead etc half a dozen times. I was still very much into music at that time, buying stacks of CDs every month (at local record stores and importing them from the US through Amazon and other sites) searching the web for new music, analysing festival line-ups endlessly, listening to commercial radio etc. In those days I guess 'indie', rock and metal (and electronic / DJ music to an extent) where still the main genres at festivals.

But times change, other musical genres gain ground or even become dominant and at some point you just don't want to keep up any more.

Does that make this years Roskilde line-up weak? I don't think so. The last years for me the fun has been discovering new music through the play list and every year I come to the conclusion that I actually know more (from hearing it on radio or podcasts before) then that I actually recognised on first glance by name on the poster.
Mabye off-topic but a relevant question when discussion this years poor hardrock- metal programme. The question is about Anthrax. Are they relevant today and will the draw a crowd?
I know their history and all but are any of their fans at Roskilde? Thats the sad thing i've recognised the last years. There are fewer and fewer metalfans at the festival.

About this years programme i'm not impressed. But since i've been at the festival since 1992 i know that you sometimes have bad years personally. I loved last years line-up which some of you didn't. Also it of course has do to with age and don't having the hunger to look inte new music. I don't blame Roskilde for that. I love the fact that they change with time. But of course theres lacking some names this year. I guess that it's hard since they not touring but at band like Soundgarden would have been perfect.

Btw really looking forward to Baby Woodroose, Idles, Moon Duo, High On Fire, Jesus and Mary Chain, Mr Peter Hayden Band and some more other great rock n roll bands. And of course many artists in other genres. So i guess it's gonna be the best days of the year this year also:-)
For me it the general feeling, that the headliners are not quite as big, as I hoped for (But I do remember in 2013 having the same feeling until the announced Metallica, which for me made the entire lineup look much stronger). Foo fighters is a great booking, and will be one my must-see list, but I don't see them as being in the same league as Rolling Stones or McCartney but rather like Iron Maiden i 2011. Will also see Arcade Fire and maybe Justice and the XX, but while I remember being the band most wished for a few years ago, it's just not my taste (I find his voice really annoying).

Last years headliners weren't that great either, but the smaller bands had some good names.

I started to think about the lineup, when a friend of me, who has a one-day ticket for Foo Fighters asked for other recomandations for friday, and the only band other band I knew I wanted to see was Icona Pop. After a little research and some recommandations from here, I can see that 68, against me and maybe Mammut and Moon Duo could be interesting and I might consider Lorde and Of Mice And men', so there might be a full day of music for me.

So researching the program further, I have found some interesting things, but if I come this year, it will probably the year, where I spend the least amount of time at Orange. My must sees so far are:
Foo fighters
Erasure
Royal blood
Sort sol
Blood command
Red fang
Which includes only one concert at Orange.

I did think about, whether Roskilde wouldn't book or couldn't book more big metal and rock names, maybe the competition from NorthSide, Tinderbox and Copenhell simply means that they can't book more big names in those catagories.
gixbit1 wrote: Mabye off-topic but a relevant question when discussion this years poor hardrock- metal programme. The question is about Anthrax. Are they relevant today and will the draw a crowd?
I know their history and all but are any of their fans at Roskilde? Thats the sad thing i've recognised the last years. There are fewer and fewer metalfans at the festival.

About this years programme i'm not impressed. But since i've been at the festival since 1992 i know that you sometimes have bad years personally. I loved last years line-up which some of you didn't. Also it of course has do to with age and don't having the hunger to look inte new music. I don't blame Roskilde for that. I love the fact that they change with time. But of course theres lacking some names this year. I guess that it's hard since they not touring but at band like Soundgarden would have been perfect.

Btw really looking forward to Baby Woodroose, Idles, Moon Duo, High On Fire, Jesus and Mary Chain, Mr Peter Hayden Band and some more other great rock n roll bands. And of course many artists in other genres. So i guess it's gonna be the best days of the year this year also:-)

Are Anthrax relevant today?....hmm, maybe. If the rumors of a new record in 2017 is true, I think they are. Otherwise no. But it will still, hopefully, be a good concert with some old and known stuff.

Today I'm not a hardcore Anthrax fan, but listened a lot to them late 80' and up till mid 90'.

Regarding the number of metal fans I don't know, but probably you're right. It could also be, that we earlier were easier to recognize. Today many of us has short hair and nice shirts, we didn't look like that 20-25 years ago :-)

Your guess: " it's gonna be the best days of the year this year also:-)".....Yes.
gixbit1 wrote: Mabye off-topic but a relevant question when discussion this years poor hardrock- metal programme. The question is about Anthrax. Are they relevant today and will the draw a crowd?

Who decided what is relevant I have seen them twica at Copenhell and think they are an ok, but not great band, which have gotten a little extra hype for being part of the big four, where I see them as the warmup-band.
They will probably play a half full Arena and not be on anyones top concerts, so I really see them as a filler and the most recognizable available metal band for the poster release.
I might see them but I don't consider them an important booking.

Oh how Soundgarden would fix everything. Damn I would fucking love seeing them at Roskilde Festival. As long as Matt Cameron is the drummer I think it will be difficult :(
jonathansoegaard wrote:

Oh how Soundgarden would fix everything. Damn I would fucking love seeing them at Roskilde Festival. As long as Matt Cameron is the drummer I think it will be difficult :(

It was a very good concert in 1990 (sorry, I couldn't help myself :lol: )
ppholst wrote:

Are Anthrax relevant today?....hmm, maybe. If the rumors of a new record in 2017 is true, I think they are. Otherwise no. But it will still, hopefully, be a good concert with some old and known stuff.

Today I'm not a hardcore Anthrax fan, but listened a lot to them late 80' and up till mid 90'.

Regarding the number of metal fans I don't know, but probably you're right. It could also be, that we earlier were easier to recognize. Today many of us has short hair and nice shirts, we didn't look like that 20-25 years ago :-)

Your guess: " it's gonna be the best days of the year this year also:-)".....Yes.

They put out a album in 2016 and play a great show in Amager Bio a 1 month ago, so yes they are
If you hear the big radio stations like P3 you get the impression that they also book music for the festivals.

Even Coachella that for a few years ago had a strong indie and electronica lineup now looks like your everyday pop festival so I think its the modern time that dictates what kind of music thats available.
It was a very good concert in 1990 (sorry, I couldn't help myself

This right here, the truth that some big band actually already played at Roskilde, is actually what I love most about the music at Roskilde. And what I feel like screaming into the face of aaaaaaall these people who moan about their favorite band not being at Roskilde everytime there is an announcement. Truth is, almost any great band in history have played at Roskilde at one point in their career. It was just YOU who missed them, because you were too busy complaining about weak lineups or whatever... People look back at past years lineup and go, oh look that was a great year because all these great bands were there. No, back when it was that year, these bands were new and you hadn't heard about them and everybody was moaning about the lineup sucking, but in retrospect years later, yes it was a great year... Just like this year will be great when you look back it 5-10 years from now when half the small names have made it big and now rule the industry.

Morning rant over, looking forward to seeing the bands of tomorrow this summer at Roskilde...
BigL wrote: It was a very good concert in 1990 (sorry, I couldn't help myself

This right here, the truth that some big band actually already played at Roskilde, is actually what I love most about the music at Roskilde. And what I feel like screaming into the face of aaaaaaall these people who moan about their favorite band not being at Roskilde everytime there is an announcement. Truth is, almost any great band in history have played at Roskilde at one point in their career. It was just YOU who missed them, because you were too busy complaining about weak lineups or whatever... People look back at past years lineup and go, oh look that was a great year because all these great bands were there. No, back when it was that year, these bands were new and you hadn't heard about them and everybody was moaning about the lineup sucking, but in retrospect years later, yes it was a great year... Just like this year will be great when you look back it 5-10 years from now when half the small names have made it big and now rule the industry.

Morning rant over, looking forward to seeing the bands of tomorrow this summer at Roskilde...

Some of us were barely born in 1990, so it was slightly hard to attend :P :D
jonathansoegaard wrote:
BigL wrote: It was a very good concert in 1990 (sorry, I couldn't help myself

Some of us were barely born in 1990, so it was slightly hard to attend :P :D

And I'd like to see a Gasolin concert, but you dont see me whine about it on Facebook everytime the festival announce a new upcoming name...
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
ppholst wrote:

They put out a album in 2016 and play a great show in Amager Bio a 1 month ago, so yes they are

With that information "album in 2016", I'm glad that I admitted that I'm not a hardcore Anthrax fan :-)

At least I knew they played in Amager Bio.
28 posts Page 2 of 2