Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

NAS

Here we go with a last minute addition HEADLINER.
Arguably the biggest living name in hip-hop today, NAS will play Roskilde Festival (finally)!
Scheduled for Orange Stage at 01:30 on Thursday night!

For those that dont know Nas, his best album is his first called "Illmatic" (also hailed by most as the best hip-hop album of all time)

Almost one of the most perfect bookings for me this year. Recently started rediscovering Hip-hop again and he is definately one of the biggests. I love he is getting a real late time too.
BigL wrote: Here we go with a last minute addition HEADLINER.
Arguably the biggest living name in hip-hop today, NAS will play Roskilde Festival (finally)!
Scheduled for Orange Stage at 01:30 on Thursday night!

For those that dont know Nas, his best album is his first called "Illmatic" (also hailed by most as the best hip-hop album of all time)

Actually, he isn't even billed as a headliner, just a sub. Makes one wonder why Solange was bumped up to headliner status. She definitely doesn't have the same pedigree as Nas, but maybe he has been out of the limelight for too long.
This was a great surprise indeed, but the lack of live band makes it a bit less attractive. Still, I will be there for sure.
Good booking, Facebook is going crazy still. I'll probably catch 30 minutes (more or less, depending how good it is) before going to The Jesus and Mary Chain.

However, I personally think that the booking of post-metal legends Cult of Luna and young grind/hardcore bastard sons Trap Them is the real juicy one here. Holy cow, those are some good names to get on the poster! Two must sees for me right there.

Coldblooded wrote: Actually, he isn't even billed as a headliner, just a sub. Makes one wonder why Solange was bumped up to headliner status. She definitely doesn't have the same pedigree as Nas, but maybe he has been out of the limelight for too long.

I definitely think that Nas should've headlines instead, especially considering this new-found popularity through Norwegian show SKAM (Illmatic gets constantly quoted through one of the seasons). Young Danish people (age 15-25) who follow that show (which, honestly, is A LOT) all know his name after that season and will be there, either because they actually like Nas' music or because of the hype created from the show and their friends.
It is very interesting how they have chosen the headliners this year. I can't really find a reasoning behind it all. I would have thrown down Solange for Lorde, The xx for NAS and Moderat/Modeselektor for Blink 182 - even Trentemøller I would consider switching with Sort Sol or The Savage Rose whom return after many years, and Trentemøller we've seen numerous times.

Maybe it is a strategy towards promoting the shows with M/M, Solange and The XX to get a lot of people at these shows. Since they've chosen Lorde and Blink for Arena they might have been (even more) over-crowded at Arena if they were also billed as headliners.

NAS in the sub headliner is just weird. In my head it's a strong headliner. Big year for old school hip-hop with Nas, A Tribe Called Quest and Mos Def with Seun Kuti :)
Pretty excited about this setlist Nas played in Byron Bay this month, if we can get something like that at Orange Stage it would be incredible!!
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nas/2017/ ... 6d9a9.html
7 posts Page 1 of 1