Discuss the current and past Roskilde festival lineup and announcements.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Interesting article in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... headliners

I think Roskilde face the exact problem as Glastonbury...
I guess it depends on your perspective also. If you are older and have been going to festivals and concerts for 15+ years you have already seen it all. I guess to someone who is 16~20 and who is going to their 1st or 2nd festival and seeing Foo Fighters, Metallica or Radiohead for the first time, the experience and perspective is completely different.

What I love about Glastonbury (and Coachella) is that they do seem to be able to book exclusive legend headliner acts that have not performed for years and are not actively touring and just do a one-off show for them.
I don't think Roskilde has ever done than, at least not with big international acts (for sure they have done it with Danish / Scandinavian acts).
B. wrote: What I love about Glastonbury (and Coachella) is that they do seem to be able to book exclusive legend headliner acts that have not performed for years and are not actively touring and just do a one-off show for them.
I don't think Roskilde has ever done than, at least not with big international acts (for sure they have done it with Danish / Scandinavian acts).

Nah, their best shot at that was Metallica in 2013. It was their only European show, but they played in the US a month before and were already booked for a full Asian tour a couple of weeks after.
All big festivals is faceing that problem. Over the last many years, there have been made new big names, but very few major names when we look at stuff like Rock and Metal.
And that might do that we over the next years will see name on stop that we say "what" are they so big that they can headline? But what I think it will do it that we get a better overall top of the poster. The major names cost a lot of money, so with cheaper new headliners, we can get more big names, with no major names. But it will also make some of the some of the names take the next step.
Pitchfork got a similar topic, a US perspective but kind intresting anyhow

http://pitchfork.com/features/festival- ... ing-worse/

They use position on poster, to determine the biggest band... coming up with The Killers on top. Not many from that list that makes me very happy.... so maybe it is a weak season

Looking at the line up at RF, since 07 - R. Waters, 08- Neil Young , 09 - Coldplay 10 - Prince, 11 - Iron Maiden , 12 - B. Springsteen, 13 - Metallica, 14 - Rolling Stones, 15 - Paul McCartney, 16 - Neil Young, 17 Foo Fighters

Pretty strong list there. It is my picks.. and some years has very strong 2, 3 names too.
I agree but like Martin said I don't think it's all bad for the strenght of the subliner names. I concider these bands from this years's line-up as big. A lot more than some of the other years: justice, weekend, blink, g easy, nas, the xx, royal blood, the jesus and mary chain, father john misty,of mice & men, trentemøller, lorde, foo fighters, den sorte skole, avalanches, freddie gibbs, lumineers, slowdive, a tribe called quest, arcaze fire, residente, cashmere cat and anthrax. Solange, future islands, icona pop, bryson tiller, jenny hval, sigrid are also known radio pop that probably will draw a crowd as well as the big locals like sort sol, savage rose, emil stabil.

If this was a numbers game where every bigger name would get 1 point each 2017 would do ok, if there would be like a 1-5 rating on the bigger names, maybr not so much.
This article claims that Denmark has the most festivals per capita and if no danish festivals can share the bigger international names it will off course limit the number of possible names a festival can attract.

http://www.bt.dk/musik/hvorfor-er-der-i ... kyldninger
bongo-anders wrote: This article claims that Denmark has the most festivals per capita and if no danish festivals can share the bigger international names it will off course limit the number of possible names a festival can attract.

http://www.bt.dk/musik/hvorfor-er-der-i ... kyldninger

Well Aalborg might not have a big pop-rockfestival but it do have the seconded biggest metal festival i Denmark and as they said Nibe Festival is in Aalborg kommune
Its a wierd article because as the mayors point out, they actually have alot of musical activities so its actually fake news :-)

It was just to point out that many festivals makes the quality of each festival less good.
I think that there is one thing that everybody is missing in their take on festivalheadliners.

When you look in hindsight, previous editions will surely look better than the ones we have now. Bands usually tend to become bigger in size over the years, which must have an influence on how you look at previous editions of that exact same festival.

I 'member looking at '11 with great scepticism back then, because I thought the headliners were quite weak. How the hell could PJ Harvey, Kings of Leon and Arctic Monkeys be in such big letters?! In hindsight, that was quite a lineup, no matter your personal taste. I bet there were people wondering why the hell Pearl Jam and Nirvana was in such big font back then in '92 as well.

And in 10 years time, people will probably wonder how it was possible to have Justice, The xx, Arcade Fire, Solange and Foo Fighters in the same lineup
10 posts Page 1 of 1