A section for random Roskilde festival related stuff that doesn't quite fit in the above categories.
56 posts Page 3 of 4
(hed) wrote:
HandsDown wrote: Robo, I think you are right. Normally I am an avid Roskilde-evangelist. I dig deep in the programme and try to turn every stone, watch live performances, go beyond the five top spotify-favorites etc. (exept with the most obvious self-absorbed auto-tuned rappers - they get the knife from the get-go). Every year I find someting - old and new - that I and often also people I introduce it to, just know is going to be amazing. This year it has been very hard to dig out these nuggets - not to mention "selling them" to fellow potential Roskilde-goers. Most of it just doesnt sound like live-experiences you would otherwise pay to see! I sense an overall "meh"-feeling among many already holding a ticket, and so I guess, very likely also among the ones still in doubt.

Around 450 tickets are selling below original price on dba atm. 1400 is lowest price - and thats been up for a couple of days.

So I fear that 17 will not sell out, which is bad for the festival on so many levels, and annoying to me, because I have a spare ticket to lose a bunch of money on... Maybe it will chance as soon as the campsite opens. I hope so!

I dont believe the Blink/Hellacopters-controversy has much to do with this. Though if ONE band can make that difference, your problem is the immediate quality of the rest of the package - not that one band cancelling.

At least perhaps there is a lesson for next year then. Dont leave the candybag open with Copenhell still in the room.

This exactly. I too dig deep into the program and can't get to the festival before friday evening. And it doesn't bother me much. Just a couple of gigs the first 2,5 days I would have seen: NAS, Red fang and hellacopters/blink182

How many tickets are they selling this year? More than last year?

It's the exact same amount of tickets on sale as the previous many years.
(hed) wrote:
HandsDown wrote: Robo, I think you are right. Normally I am an avid Roskilde-evangelist. I dig deep in the programme and try to turn every stone, watch live performances, go beyond the five top spotify-favorites etc. (exept with the most obvious self-absorbed auto-tuned rappers - they get the knife from the get-go). Every year I find someting - old and new - that I and often also people I introduce it to, just know is going to be amazing. This year it has been very hard to dig out these nuggets - not to mention "selling them" to fellow potential Roskilde-goers. Most of it just doesnt sound like live-experiences you would otherwise pay to see! I sense an overall "meh"-feeling among many already holding a ticket, and so I guess, very likely also among the ones still in doubt.

Around 450 tickets are selling below original price on dba atm. 1400 is lowest price - and thats been up for a couple of days.

So I fear that 17 will not sell out, which is bad for the festival on so many levels, and annoying to me, because I have a spare ticket to lose a bunch of money on... Maybe it will chance as soon as the campsite opens. I hope so!

I dont believe the Blink/Hellacopters-controversy has much to do with this. Though if ONE band can make that difference, your problem is the immediate quality of the rest of the package - not that one band cancelling.

At least perhaps there is a lesson for next year then. Dont leave the candybag open with Copenhell still in the room.

This exactly. I too dig deep into the program and can't get to the festival before friday evening. And it doesn't bother me much. Just a couple of gigs the first 2,5 days I would have seen: NAS, Red fang and hellacopters/blink182

How many tickets are they selling this year? More than last year?

I'm not sure I understand..if you would like to see both NAS and Red Fang, your musical interest is pretty wide (that's good of course). What I don't understand is, that nothing else but these two acts finds your interest, during Wednesday, Thursday and Friday until the evening???
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
jonathansoegaard wrote: I was sure the festival would sell out, but not at all anymore. DBA prices are going down all the time (seen 1000 kr.!), and the currently pretty mixed weather forecast does not help. On a positive note some of my friends are considering going now, if they get a hold of a ticket at half price from someone desperate, who just wants to cut their losses.

As many of you guys I dig deep in the program each year and find stuff I like, so this year was not much different from other years and I still think Roskildes program surpasses anything in Denmark a lot. That being said, not selling out is the best evidence, that the booking team have not done a good enough job. Especially loosing Radiohead, SOAD and Jamiroquai comes to mind - With ATCQ and Blink cancelling (and getting mediocre replacements) the line-up seems stripped from wow-bookings besides Foo Fighters, and might also have send a lot of tickets back on the market.

Losing track of the ball unding the post? Ice Cube got a awesome fantastic reception on facebook so no he where not a mediocre at all. And come on I know some ppl on this forum love Jamiroquai , but that they not have done shit and it will be a big flop at Smukfest.

And can we stop using the word losing about all bands not booked? Roskilde did not lose Radiohead, they never had a chance. Radiohead pick what they want. SOAD they might have lost.

A problem is that Copenhell is selling so good again and this year not to so many old ppl like last year and it is a problem that Copenhell and Roskilde is clashing again. 1 time where ok for some, I know a lot of ppl that wont to the overlap again. I would not if I had, had to pay for the festivals

But sure the bookes is missing a lot of good stuff, but we say that all year, selling out or not

I think Roskilde is doing a great job every year, but something must be going wrong, when they are not selling out and the other festivals are. It might be the horrible clash with BOTH Copenhell and Tinderbox and not the music alone, but how do they combat it next year?

I know Ice Cube got great reception, and I'm impressed with the double replacement strategy! BUT I also lost two camp-mates to the cancellation so it stings, and who knows what would sell the most ticket. Many people clearly like Ice Cube, but ATCQ was a unique booking, and was more than 50% of the Ticket to 4 of my campmates (and two chose to completely skip RF this year).

I just want Roskilde to be succesfull and sell out. It's the best festival :)
jonathansoegaard wrote: I think Roskilde is doing a great job every year, but something must be going wrong, when they are not selling out and the other festivals are. It might be the horrible clash with BOTH Copenhell and Tinderbox and not the music alone, but how do they combat it next year?

I know Ice Cube got great reception, and I'm impressed with the double replacement strategy! BUT I also lost two camp-mates to the cancellation so it stings, and who knows what would sell the most ticket. Many people clearly like Ice Cube, but ATCQ was a unique booking, and was more than 50% of the Ticket to 4 of my campmates (and two chose to completely skip RF this year).

Sounds like your friends didt want to go and now they had a reason. I am sure that Ice Cube have made op for that lose.

I thing it is hard for the festival to do that much about it. They might be able to use a little more money on the music and get a few bigger names. But what ells to do? Chance the music profit to go more pop and hit the main stream and get more ppl? I sure dont hope so
Reply on you Martin. I Agree.

Secondly...skipping Roskilde because of a cancellation or 2 ?? :bang:
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
jonathansoegaard wrote: I think Roskilde is doing a great job every year, but something must be going wrong, when they are not selling out and the other festivals are. It might be the horrible clash with BOTH Copenhell and Tinderbox and not the music alone, but how do they combat it next year?

Sounds like your friends didt want to go and now they had a reason. I am sure that Ice Cube have made op for that lose.

I thing it is hard for the festival to do that much about it. They might be able to use a little more money on the music and get a few bigger names. But what ells to do? Chance the music profit to go more pop and hit the main stream and get more ppl? I sure dont hope so

Yeah, skipping a whole festival bcause of one or two cancellations, doesnt exactly spell musical curiousity. A central element in enjoying a lineup constructed out of so many genres and crossovers IMO... But if the immediate appeal of even the smaller names is not present, or at least hard to find, the more musically conservative will likely skip the whole thing. There is a lot of bands needing the "aquired taste" this year, I think, and the less patient guest may write it all off as just being crap.

By focusing so heavily on radio-pop in the headliners you invite people perhaps more interested in the spectacle of the show rather than the music itself. So as I see it, the mix of big pop and very demanding smaller names is a bad recipe. You have to draw in a crowd, that are generally open to new kinds of music. Question is: who are they?
Roskilde posted on Facebbok now that there are only a couple of hundred tickets left, so they will be sold out today or tomorrow :)
Roskilde has just announced, that they expect "sold out" later today or tomorrow.

"Only a few 100 tickets left" :)
Sjabba212, you were the fastest.

Anyhow, this is good news. it doesn't look good in the medias, that other big festivals in Denmark is sold out, if Roskilde isn't.
ppholst wrote: Sjabba212, you were the fastest.

Anyhow, this is good news. it doesn't look good in the medias, that other big festivals in Denmark is sold out, if Roskilde isn't.

I cannot fathom how and why NorthSide sold out. They had the weakest programme in years with only a select few headliners as tentpoles. Of those, it was kinda doubtful that he'd even turn up (Frank Ocean) and only Radiohead really delivered what was indirectly promised. Both Ocean and The Prodigy flopped.

Not going next year, even if it's kinda luxurious to have this kind of festival in my back yard.
HandsDown wrote: Yeah, skipping a whole festival bcause of one or two cancellations, doesnt exactly spell musical curiousity. A central element in enjoying a lineup constructed out of so many genres and crossovers IMO... But if the immediate appeal of even the smaller names is not present, or at least hard to find, the more musically conservative will likely skip the whole thing. There is a lot of bands needing the "aquired taste" this year, I think, and the less patient guest may write it all off as just being crap.

By focusing so heavily on radio-pop in the headliners you invite people perhaps more interested in the spectacle of the show rather than the music itself. So as I see it, the mix of big pop and very demanding smaller names is a bad recipe. You have to draw in a crowd, that are generally open to new kinds of music. Question is: who are they?

I disagree with the acquried taste-thing to some degree. Sure, some smaller names may be for an acquired taste, but here are also a lot of singer-song writers (Kevin Morby, Julia Jacklin, Karen Elson, Aaron Lee Tasjan, Angrl Olsen) which is hardly an acquired taste. The same goes for Jagwa Ma, Rufus, RagnBone Man and Emil Stabil which is all easy listening. Furthermore, what makes you say it is mostly big pop? Because of The Weeknd, Halsey, Icona Pop and Lorde?

Maybe I'm just biased as I tend to be intrigued by the weirder stuff (fx Circuit des Yeux) and I'll agree that I would be sad if they booked less of it :D I think it's inevitable when Roskilde insists on booking so many different genres.

In my opinion, the real 'problem' with the line up his year is the subheadliners which I think are less interesting than the last couple of years (which are usually awesome). But a lot of those booked for this year have all played Roskilde fairly recently (Icona Pop, Slowdive, Father John Misty, Future Island, Seun Kuti, Den Sorte Skole). And also, the headliners have a weird split of being 50% super awesome, 50% subheadliners...
Coldblooded wrote: I cannot fathom how and why NorthSide sold out. They had the weakest programme in years with only a select few headliners as tentpoles. Of those, it was kinda doubtful that he'd even turn up (Frank Ocean) and only Radiohead really delivered what was indirectly promised. Both Ocean and The Prodigy flopped.

Not going next year, even if it's kinda luxurious to have this kind of festival in my back yard.

Didt Ocean only flop in the eyes of ppl that didt know what they sign up for? And your reveiw of Prodigy is the only bad one I have seen ;)
It might be that the youngsters today are really into that crappy EDM-music and don´t come because Roskilde has too much class to actually book Calvin Harris (or has had too much class). At least here in Finland the kids are listening to that crap and some horrible mid-stream pop. All the old good festivals have turned into something not attentable because of this and the most popular festival is just pure EDM now.
Wallu wrote: It might be that the youngsters today are really into that crappy EDM-music and don´t come because Roskilde has too much class to actually book Calvin Harris (or has had too much class). At least here in Finland the kids are listening to that crap and some horrible mid-stream pop. All the old good festivals have turned into something not attentable because of this and the most popular festival is just pure EDM now.

A name like Clavin Harris would a sold good. Just like Major Lazer, deadmau5 ect have mad big party the young love
That is the way the sziget goes. Some years ago they had a metal stage and a stage with some classic and jazz music for example. So it had a big variety comparable to roskilde. I was there in 2015 and it was a lot of mainstream and electronic music, but still very nice and with some pearls in the linup. But 6 or 7 weeks before the start they are not sold out with the chainsmokers, maklemore, major lazer, whiz kalifa, pink, .... in 2017 .

Maybe there are just too many festivals at the moment, so we need some insolvencys like the "green hell" flop in Germany. In 2015 they wanted to start a new rock festival on the old Rar ground with Metallica, Kiss and Muse as headliners and just sold about 10.000 tickets until april so they cancelled the plans, did some concerts instead in a football arena and canceld ist the next year compleatly.
56 posts Page 3 of 4