Discuss previous Roskilde festival experiences.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
I had a super festival. With a great camp and lovely people. Saw great bands, hadthe best times. But I still had the feeling I had to write something about this year.
Highs: relaxed entrance booking for J area it was more chill then previous years.
More food stalls at the new F area.
It was greaaat the gravel pit was gone!!
Mostly highs but Too much to write. So Lets do the lows;
Lows:
For me personally a big deal the cashless system. Only develloped so people will spend more money. I forgot my bankcode so my card was blocked. Had to get the cashcard and be in line with the can collectors. Thought it Was a big waste of time, on Top of that the card mostly didnt work. And at the end of the festival the queue for the refund of the card was so damn long as in a combination of collectors i took it home. Giving Roskilde 20 kr extra since that was the deposit.
My point is that i think the cashless system is just a way to commercialize and sell more stuff. Plus everytine i would make a transaction with my Dutch bankcard it costst me money. Ofcourse the Banks are happy with this system. But i am definitally not.
Other low.
Somehow i had the feeling Roskilde is handeling things cheaper..with less cool decorations or places to hang at the festival area . it used to be alot of food with non commercial organisations. Now the whole foodbarn with bad overprized food concept is spreading.

Besides that i had a grrleat time.Im just afraid Roskilde loses Its sexy charm of being incentive...turning into a commercial slave.:(
Overall I had a great RF ,but concerning the cashless card I too had times it did not work and when it did work it took longer than a simple cash transaction with 2 or 3 tries , personally I prefer the option of cash or card. :)
Got myself one of the Festival cash cards some night just before Arena closed, so no queue.
The card worked fine every time I used it. No waits, no 2nd tries.

Upon coming home I discovered that my bank card operator charged a whole Euro for every transaction I made in DK, so the RF card saved me a lot of fees.

Still like cash better.
Just a comment about the card. It is NOT to sell more. It is to save money and have alot less problems.

With cash you lose a lot of money. Not because ppl steal but a lot more errors are made, it is a fact (And one of the major reason the place I used to work when against the law on cash).

Roskilde spend a lot of money on security to move the money from the stands to a safe place. And it lowers the risk of robby (dont thing that have been a problem).
Well ofcourse it is in their opinion not to sell more and keep it safer. Overall people spend more money when cashless systems are used. Banks are happy because of.the transactions. And foreiggn Banks can charge a fee like with stevomatic. To me Its a joke they say they dont want people to spend more money saying its alot safer. Besides a whole queue with frustrated can collecting gypsies and africans i have to stand in to put money on my card isnt really safe in my opinion.
Besides i was in the queue 4 times when a can collector had a discussion about a card that didnt work properly...if i'd be Working my ass off collecting cans all freaking day and some pretty rude person at the desk one tells me again they cant put money on my card. And i need to go in another queue. That would totally kill my nood. And so did it with them. The whole system just doesnt work yet. Perhaps they should try to do something about it. Make more cashcard points and keep it safe for everyone.
I compare this system to the Dutch with festival tokens. Its super annoying and more commercialized slavery .Created to keep Banks happy and customers spending. I'd like to have the cash back. Overall my biggest frutration is that Roskilde was different...and i see them losing their touch of sexyness and Being different. Standing up instead of following banks. Dare to be different instead of this stupid silly cashless thing and turning into a bank cashcow while using happy festival people that dont really think about it.
I am not goner wast time on you eeff, you dont want to listen and when using the word slavery this post lost all value
I think that lines in the bar etc went quicker because they didn't have to get change back etc etc.

Only problem i saw was that the machines that we sell train tickets with couldn't Copenhagen with the high demand so once every hour or 2 we had to restart the machines.

Normally its not a problem as it only takes a few minutes but when there is 5 minutes to departure and the train from Copenhagen has just arrived it was not ideal.
If it happened we just let people entertainment the train for free until the machines was up an running again.
bongo-anders wrote: I think that lines in the bar etc went quicker because they didn't have to get change back etc etc.

Only problem i saw was that the machines that we sell train tickets with couldn't Copenhagen with the high demand so once every hour or 2 we had to restart the machines.

Normally its not a problem as it only takes a few minutes but when there is 5 minutes to departure and the train from Copenhagen has just arrived it was not ideal.
If it happened we just let people entertainment the train for free until the machines was up an running again.

But Anders if you know that would happen, would it make seens just to reboot just after a train have left or stuff like that? You know when there is alot of time to the next train? I assume it will work to reboot it before it crash
I didn't use a cash card but my normal Dutch bank card (not credit card) and it worked fine with no extra charges.
A token system would be horrendous as all the prices get rounded up to a token value.

The only criticism I have on this years festival was again the changed queueing system. About a third of our camp couldn't find the entrance and waiting area for the Silent & Clean queue, volunteers and guards at other areas had no idea where it was located. There where only two small signs at chest hight, facing away from the crowd, pointing you in the right direction.

Once we where in the correct waiting area it was very relaxed, everyone was waiting orderly in line until the last 45 minutes when everyone was pushing towards the front of the queue as usual.
There was no water or toilets in the S&C final waiting area either.
It was again a very stressful situation, not a great start of the festival. We did in the end get a great spot at J for almost all our people. Only one couple didn't fit. They had all the right access tickets but where not able to find the correct entrance and get the correct wristband.

Everything else I think was great. The kiosk at J had some decent hot meals. There seemed to be enough camping space although I'm not sure how the P area was arranged.
Prices for food and drinks where decent with no or very short queues.
Sound at the stages was good. None of the concerts I went to where over-crowded.
There where some longer queues to get at the festival area but noting too annoying for me.
We could appreciate the additional security around the festival and camping perimeters.

I do notice however with myself but also with the younger people in our camp and other festival guests that the current festival format with 3~4 warm-up days and 4 full music days, with the music days also being very long, is requiring far too much energy to be able to enjoy it all.

I think in the future we will see the festival spreading it's international bookings to the earlier days and maybe sortening the full festival days.
I hope this does not mean a reduction of stages. And for old times sake I would like to make one last plea to bring back Odeon stage. Avalon sucks.
B. wrote: There where some longer queues to get at the festival area but noting too annoying for me.
We could appreciate the additional security around the festival and camping perimeters.

I do notice however with myself but also with the younger people in our camp and other festival guests that the current festival format with 3~4 warm-up days and 4 full music days, with the music days also being very long, is requiring far too much energy to be able to enjoy it all.

I think in the future we will see the festival spreading it's international bookings to the earlier days and maybe sortening the full festival days.
I hope this does not mean a reduction of stages. And for old times sake I would like to make one last plea to bring back Odeon stage. Avalon sucks.

Might be that your are not danish, but all danes I spoke with HATEDE that there where police with fucking machine guns wtf and all the rest of it.
It dont make a fucking diffrens it is just fake security they can do shit! It is not like a army will show up and try to kill ppl at roskilde, police with gachine guns can do jake shit.
If person want to blow up Roskilde, it is still fucking east and they will never stop it on site, if they stop it, it will intelligence work before hand.

Same with entre to the festival the sometimes more checks where lame and didt work, all it did where make the que long a piss ppl off and again fake security. If I want to bring a bomb to the festival area it would be fucking easy.

And I think you are totaly wrong about spreding the artist out. If they do that they kill the warm-up days, they work so well befoure we dont have to go to big show, but if we had to do that it will kill the camping party just look at the music days. And with out the awesome warm up Roskilde will lose a lot of what makes it special. And not to forget all the ppl only comming for the music, they cant/wont take off more days alot of them.

Dont get your hate for Avalon it is a great stage like cosmopol have been all the time. Sure I likede Odeon a lot a where sad to see it go, but that dont make Avalon bad. But it will never be back, to great a special camping areaer to give up again
@ Martin

That was also what we did when we had done some trouble shooting.

So for the rest of the week we just restarted the device when we had the time.
Martin, you are right, the police with machine guns wasn't a pretty sight but the concrete barricades at the roads and camping entrances seemed okay to me.
I'd rather not have these additional security checks but I guess that's today's reality. If Roskilde / Police didn't increase the security this year I'm sure a lot of people would have complained.
B. wrote: Martin, you are right, the police with machine guns wasn't a pretty sight but the concrete barricades at the roads and camping entrances seemed okay to me.
I'd rather not have these additional security checks but I guess that's today's reality. If Roskilde / Police didn't increase the security this year I'm sure a lot of people would have complained.

I am not sure, but you might be right, but had they put up the concrete barricades and no police with machine guns I am sure all would have been happy. They could easy have had put more normal police out they and it would have been fine
If people are really getting charged by their banks for every single transaction that is a serious issue that Roskilde should be made aware of so they can warn people to check beforehand next year.
Please contact Roskilde about this with an example of your bank statement.

For me it was the other way around. We went to an ATM in Roskilde city to get some cash on hand, just in case the cashless system would fail or we wanted to buy something from the stalls outside of the festival and we got charged €2.40 for getting ~€40 worth of DKK out of the cash machine.
I had fun. Only thing I can complain about were my own faults. (Not putting my tent up properly which resulted all my stuff being totally wet and with litres of water on my tent floor and I had a bad choice of shoes which results me having an antibiotics treatment on since I have a very bad infection on my foot).

Not the greatest year, but easily enough fun to return next year. Saw some great bands. The Orange stage though has less and less appeal to me every year. Enjoyed Seun Kuti there still.

I didn´t mind the cashless system. All the money on my cash card were spent on Saturday night at about 23 o´clock, so that worked out fine on that perspective too and I didn´t have to queue to get my money back.

Great camp and great people otherwise too. Some assholes were present but you can´t judge the whole festival because of few people.

The toilets were a bit worse than in 2015 when I went the last time (not to the toilet, but the festival :) ).

I really miss those theatre companies making shows all over the festival site as there used to be 15 years ago. That kind of extra stuff is always good for the atmosphere. I think Eef is right about the festival cutting down a bit in those kinds of things.

The queues in the festival site were ok. Only time that I got frustrated was on Wednesday right after the site opened. Then I thought this would be hellish queueing all the tima.

So, a good one. Once again.
17 posts Page 1 of 2