Rumours of bands playing at Roskilde festival are always circulating, sometimes they are true, sometimes not. All discussions of non-confirmed artists also take place in this category.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
So. In some press confrerence the festival revealed they had already booked a big name for 2018. Does anyone know anything more?
My guess would be one of these:
Ed Sheeran (open dates in Eu tour)
Katy Perry (open dates in tour)
Nooooo. Please nooooo.
I just read somewhere, that Smashing Pumpkins will return in original lineup next year. I sure as fuck hope Roskilde is paying attention!
Luckily Katy Perry performs at the Royal Arena in June or July so that rules her out

Ed Sheeran however don't have any danish dates on the tour and it fits perfectly with a late night Saturday Orange performance between the Paris gig and the Gothenburg gig.
Sting would make a great late Saturday night Orange gig!
HandsDown wrote: I just read somewhere, that Smashing Pumpkins will return in original lineup next year. I sure as fuck hope Roskilde is paying attention!

This! Would be fantastic, but I'm not sure they will be categorized as that big anymore? You never know with the roskilde booking team, though. They often miss/lose the obvious bookings.
(hed) wrote:
HandsDown wrote: I just read somewhere, that Smashing Pumpkins will return in original lineup next year. I sure as fuck hope Roskilde is paying attention!

This! Would be fantastic, but I'm not sure they will be categorized as that big anymore? You never know with the roskilde booking team, though. They often miss/lose the obvious bookings.

Only very rarely does Roskilde book "comeback"-bands ie. bands that hasn't released anything since reforming. I can think of three instances in the nearly 20 years I've been going to Roskilde – Pixies in 2004, My Bloody Valentine in 2008 and Pavement in 2010. The reason why Roskilde every so often "misses" these comeback tours is simply that they often don't think it to be worth the dough to book a band for nostalgia's sake only.

Smashing Pumpkins in its original formation would be something that would definitely headline. IMHO both albums and live performances since the partial reunion ten years ago haven't been up to par with their heyday, but if they can reel at least James Iha in again, it would hopefully make up for it. I wouldn't count on seeing D'arcy Wretzky on a stage again ever.

EDIT: At The Gates is one reunion show I forgot about. And Hellacopters this year was also one where they didn't put out an album to justify their live appearances.
Maybe return of Roger Waters? Likely be hitting Europe in the new year with his US + Them tour
Both Roger Waters and The Smashing Pumpkins (with more original members) would be awesome headliners, plus it would please this year's much neglected rock-segment. TSP on Arena, RW on Orange. Those two plus Roskilde's usual surprises via the smaller names would already justify a ticket in my opinion.

As for other genres, Jay-Z seems likely. Ten years since last RF performance, new album is getting a lot more praise than his last few solo releases. Eminem, too, is lining up a new albu, but he seems to avoid Denmark. Neither artists are rumored, I'm just guessing.

Obviously, I'm gonna throw Tool in the punch bowl as they keep saying they're "soon finished" with the new album and have been playing several shows in the US this Summer.

Over at efestivals they're saying that The National has been confirmed for Primavera by the festival's manager. Next summer it'll be five year's since the band played Roskilde last, and they're constantly in Denmark (own festival this year, Haven), but they'd be a safe and relatively cheap headliner besides the larger, more expensive names. Perhaps a set around sundown this time? A spot a la The XX and Arcade Fire.

The Killers ought to be up for another go as well since they're releasing a new album soon. Tinderbox booked them this year, but they shouldn't keep Roskilde from doing it - great live band, although their studio material isn't on par with their first few albums.

The smaller names are hard to guess, since the bands rarely plan tours this far in advance, but I'm hoping that Converge will swing by a late slot at Avalon next year, since they're currently making their new album. Or perhaps a more aesthetic show at Gloria, much in the vein of their Blood Moon performances.

Deafheaven, too, said in Lille Vega back in May that they'd be releasing some new material soon enough. I'd imagine Copenhell want to get their hands on these guys as well, but perhaps...
Way to early...but ALL these names (of my personal interest) could be in for a visit to Roskilde 2018.
All with new albums in 2017 or 2018.

Jay-Z
Beyonce (possible new material before Coachella 2018)
Ed Sheeran
Queens Of The Stone Age
Jack Johnson
Vampire Weekend
UNKLE
Grizzly Bear
MGMT
Gogol Bordello
Broken Social Scene
Mount Kimbie
Zola Jesus
Angus & Julia Stone
Wolf Alice
The 1975
Oneohtrix Point Never
Chromatics
Megadeth
Slayer
Arch Enemy
Tool
Nine Inch Nails
Zack de la Rocha

Veto
Nine Inch Nails would be an awesome headliner. Seeing that they've a new EP out in a little while (the second in a trilogy with the third coming in 6-8 months from now) they should hopefully be in the booker's iron sights already. NIN and QOTSA would be an excellent 1-2 punch in the heavy end of the headliners.

I'd kill to see Chromatics too. Hopefully they'll put out that new album they've been sitting on for years now soon.
NIN would be so fucking awesome.

I hope they will book Comeback kid next now that they ignore them this year (played in Aalborg duing) the festival, they have a new album out soon.

Benal - danish hiphop act. Have played Countdown in 15, have put out a album in 16 and it working have new track on the way. A must book danish act for 18

Sum 41 - we need a big punk rock act after Blink 182 where BIIIIIB and that replacement where so wrong
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote: NIN would be so fucking awesome.

I hope they will book Comeback kid next now that they ignore them this year (played in Aalborg duing) the festival, they have a new album out soon.

Benal - danish hiphop act. Have played Countdown in 15, have put out a album in 16 and it working have new track on the way. A must book danish act for 18

Sum 41 - we need a big punk rock act after Blink 182 where BIIIIIB and that replacement where so wrong

I saw Sum 41 at Groezrock Festival a few years ago. It was painfully boring. This would be such an irrelevant booking, sorry Martin. Blink-182 was semi-relevant due to the change in lineup. If Roskilde wants to book pop-punk, it shouldn't be these kind of bands, despite their popularity 15-20 years ago and the nostalgic feeling it would give the masses above age 25. It'd be more exciting if they booked the younger bands, like Slam-It does (despite my dislike towards their lineup). The Wonder Years and The Menzingers are prime examples of relatively popular bands within the punk/pop-punk genre, Menzingers especially due to their signing to Epitaph.

Also, I actually watched the last 20-30 minutes of The Hellacopters, it was actually a good show. Perhaps better than I'd imagine Blink would've done. But definitely not necessarily relevant to Blink fans, no.

Both Benal, Comeback Kid and especially NIN would be awesome next year, tho :D
DukeofDK wrote:

I saw Sum 41 at Groezrock Festival a few years ago. It was painfully boring. This would be such an irrelevant booking, sorry Martin. Blink-182 was semi-relevant due to the change in lineup. If Roskilde wants to book pop-punk, it shouldn't be these kind of bands, despite their popularity 15-20 years ago and the nostalgic feeling it would give the masses above age 25. It'd be more exciting if they booked the younger bands, like Slam-It does (despite my dislike towards their lineup). The Wonder Years and The Menzingers are prime examples of relatively popular bands within the punk/pop-punk genre, Menzingers especially due to their signing to Epitaph.

Also, I actually watched the last 20-30 minutes of The Hellacopters, it was actually a good show. Perhaps better than I'd imagine Blink would've done. But definitely not necessarily relevant to Blink fans, no.

I am sure The Wonder Years and The Menzingers would draw very very few ppl. I know you did´t like the Sum 41 at Groezrock, but when I look at youtube videos from there live show there is a lot of ppl and they look to have a great time. 13 Voices is a good album and have sold fine. And Dave Baksh is back in the band. So no DudeOfDK that you had a bad show dont make them irrelevant.
Martin Horn Pedersen wrote:
DukeofDK wrote:

I am sure The Wonder Years and The Menzingers would draw very very few ppl. I know you did´t like the Sum 41 at Groezrock, but when I look at youtube videos from there live show there is a lot of ppl and they look to have a great time. 13 Voices is a good album and have sold fine. And Dave Baksh is back in the band. So no DudeOfDK that you had a bad show dont make them irrelevant.

Nah, TWY and Menzingers aren't very popular in Denmark (although I'm pretty sure Menzingers sold out Beta 2 or 3 years ago, so that's decent). Neither are a million other modern pop-punk bands. Those two were just examples I personally happen to like, which are relatively popular in other countries. I'd just rather have three smaller good ones than Sum 41. But OK, I haven't heard Sum's latest album. Maybe it's really, really good. Maybe they ARE relevant - in that case, pardon my French. So my statement is a long stretch, definitely based on their boring performance last year (I wasn't the only one who thought it was a chore to sit through, tho). So let me rephrase "irrelevant" to just "boring and uninspiring", yeah. But of course there was a lot of people, I don't question Sum 41's popularity at Groezrock nor around people aged 20+ ish.

With that said, I think I've kind of accepted that Roskilde won't book that many punk bands from the whole "Groezrock / Fest // Punk Rock Holiday" Pool that aren't post-punk (Idles, Priests, Savages, etc.). But if they do start - which they did this year, courtesy of Blink - I think it's a darn shame if they just book them, Green Day, Sum 41, etc. (I know they've been booked previously) instead of tapping the huge amount of less popular bands. There are so many innovative, small artists within the genre who are doing so much more to push the boundaries. And pushing boundaries is definitely one of Roskilde Festival's core competences.
16 posts Page 1 of 2